• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS 1100 or 1150?

axlray13

Hey out there, I'm thinking of picking up a used GS. Can't spend a lot, the economy and all, maybe $6K. Are there certain years or features to be wary of or look for? I made the mistake of test riding an 08 and I fell in love. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

1100 = better gearing for off road
1150 = a tiny bit better in most regards, but but a little more expensive. The "overdrive" (tall 6th gear) is quite nice, IMHO, though some don't use it much.

You can find 1150's for $6k with a little hunting. I'm contemplating selling mine (it must be spring) and that's about what I was thinking it would be worth.

I am not sure all will agree with me, but for BMW's, the last couple of years of any model seems to be the best . Most of the short term problems have been worked out. Early r1100gs's had plastic gas tanks that posed problems, frames that would crack under hard off the road use. 1998 and 1999 were the most trouble free of these models. I have a 98 R1100gs with 40,000 miles just getting broke it. The only problems have been I have had was a starter hanging up ( easy fix, just take out and clean ) and a sticking hand break causing the rear break light to stay on. Another easy fix ( cleaned hand break with a little wd40 ) Both of these problems probably occurred while riding gravel and 2 track roads with alot of dust. But that's what you love about these big boys. BMW does a good job on marketing, and I do like the looks of the 1150gs and 1200gs. They just make them better. Last note, it is surprising how many folks are going back to the older GS airheads, not because they are better, but easier and cheaper for the wannabe shade tree mechanics like myself to work on. Good hunting.

Last edited:
Back