• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dyna III ignition install problems 90/6

KHEEREMA129911

I decided to swap out the Dyna Ignition booster and mechanical points for the Dyna III. The bike was running fine with the ignition booster. However, I cannot get the bike to start with the DYna III.

I've verified the coil resistance at 3.0 ohm. I've pulled the plugs and visually verified I'm getting spark when trying to start the bike. I also shorted the white trigger wire and verified i'm getting spark when shorting the wire, so I'm assuming the module is OK. The ground is secure. Since i'm getting spark when trying to start the bike i'm assuming the pickups are OK.

The plugs are getting fouled so i believe i'm getting fuel. I tried adjusting the timing, but it still won't start. i've tried letting the bike sit with the plugs out to dry it out a bit, but it still won't start with or without the choke.

The fuses in the headlight are ok. battery is ok. the coil switched power lead is showing ~12V with the ignition ON.

I can't think of anything else to check, any suggestions?

Kevin -

Have you gone through the process to confirm that the plugs fire when the S-mark is in the window? I had to fiddle with this when I first installed mine. That little donut on the camshaft needed to be adjusted to get close to the firing point, then I could adjust the backing place some IIRC. You can also individually adjust the pickup points for the left and right cylinder so that when running, the S-marks overlay each other.

You can lay the plugs but be sure the plugs are grounded so the spark has the normal path to ground. It's a sensitive electronic ignition, so you want to be sure never to leave a spark plug or wire ungrounded. Then you can turn the engine over by hand with power on and listen for the spark and look at the timing window. You could alternatively use an voltmeter to measure when the voltage changes at the coil which signifies the old points opening position.

Sounds like everything's working but just not at the correct time.

Start over:)

I've had my Dyna3 so long now(20 years), I forgot the install proceedure. Mine has never failed to work from the beginning, thank goodness. Sounds like a timing issue, but? I would very carefully, start over and see what I did wrong! Make sure the pistons are firing on the right stroke! Left, right and so on...I'm guessing here:). Get it right and you'll love the switch, as my R100/7 has been a different runner with the Dyna3 in place:). Really cranks at higher rpm's especially, so smooth....Randy:thumb

Kurt,

You were exactly correct, and you have a great memory! Thanks for the advice!

I had the magnetic "donut" on the camshaft wrong. So the timing was waaaaay off. The dyna instructions say something about lining up the donut on the advance assembly but it makes no sense and isn't easy to follow. I had to fiddle with the donut to get it in the right position in relation to the camshaft. (start bike check timing with the strobe, turn off bike, adjust donut, repeat, reapeat.)

There really isn't much adjustment on the Dyna "points plate" for timing adjustment so you really have to keep fiddling with the placement of the donut on the advance assembly until you can fine tune the timing with the plate backing.

It'd be nice if there was a blurb in the instructions about this! ah well... she's running now:brad

There really isn't much adjustment on the Dyna "points plate" for timing adjustment so you really have to keep fiddling with the placement of the donut on the advance assembly until you can fine tune the timing with the plate backing.

Kevin -

You're probably right with adjustments using the backing plate...I was thinking of the original points plate which does rotate. Once you get the donut fairly close, you can pretty much leave it alone. The real fine tuning of the Dyna III system is the movement of the two pick-up sensors on either side of the camshaft. Each has two small nylon nuts holding them in place. Moving these sensors around the circumference is how you can get the firing impulses to overlay each other, as visualized through the timing window.

Back