• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

US 61 in WI - Snow, Sand, and Waysides

ChrisF

Long Gone
Yesterday, I four-wheeled up to LaCrosse on US 61. I wasn't too surprised to see the snowdrifts in the shaded hills because of another tough winter. I was surprised to see all the sand on the sides of US 61, and noticed some of the side roads had so much sand on them I thought they might be gravel instead of paved. Is that normal this time of year, or did Wisconsin run out of salt? Since US 61 would be my primary route to the GR3 and Hiawatha rallies, I'm wondering how long that sand will remain on the back roads.

I also noticed every wayside was marked "closed". Is this a seasonal thing, or a budget problem?

Sand is easier on the environment than salt. It will miraculously dissappear during the first big rain. Waysides are closed during the winter. Rest stops (staffed) are being closed this year because of budget problems. It is supposed to snow tonight!:banghead

Geoff, thanks for the feedback. Down here the road crews use sand only when it's too cold for salt to work, or when they're running low on salt.

Snow up there and 3+ inches of rain down here, with flood warnings out for the Rock River and Iowa River. Welcome to spring!

Back