• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

X-challenge as basis for adventure tourer?

knary

looking for a coal mine
You can find them for $6k NEW (2007 holdovers) at some dealers. Throw on some luggage (possible best choice for the lean traveler), and some extra fuel capacity (TT tank for $900-ish, or the Xtank for $200-ish), and it seems like it would be damn close to perfect for a go anywhere bike. I'm not interested in a RTW machine, just a rural west explorer. For a couple thousand more, the KTM 690 Enduro is, aside from maintenance, indeed a better machine by all accounts, but for the price difference I've got all the farkles I immediately need. A better seat is a requirement for any bike, and the rear shock... well, it may be dodgy, but it'll do for a while.

Thinking out loud. Any opinions? The F800GS is awesome, but I'm thinking less road and more dirt - at the moment.

A much better starting point would be a a 650 Dakar.

The XCH is trying to be too much of a dirtbike. No wind protection, short gearing, subfarme is not strong enough for luggage, tank is too small, it has a PIA shock & the seat sucks in a huge way. Yes you can make it into a $12K bike and fix many things, but you can put $6K total in a KLR & have a better machine.

I think a KTM 690 Adventure or a Triumph 675 triple Tiger Cub might be a better choice, let's keep our fingers crossed for 2010.

BMW could have made a proper, small, adventure bike from the 650. It would have sold better than the Xmoto & XCH combined.

8 gallon tank, option for aluminum hard bags, heated grips & Dakar style fairing, would have made a nice litlle RTW bike for $8500 that would have slotted nicely just below the F800GS. 6th gear would have been a huge + at this point too, but I realize you just can't throw one in.

The XCH missed. I will just wear mine out riding it back and forth to work. 60 miles a day is all it seems good for to me.

Thinking out loud. Any opinions? The F800GS is awesome, but I'm thinking less road and more dirt - at the moment.

scot - the x-challenge is *extremely* tall. you are not.

ian

ps => i agree with everything SQTT says above.

scot - the x-challenge is *extremely* tall. you are not.

ian

ps => i agree with everything SQTT says above.

:D

I'm a very generic 5'11" if I bother to stand up. I put a little time on one and found it tall, but aside from the bizarre rising action of the rear air suspension not prohibitively so. A somewhat lower seat and/or traditional shock puts it around the same seat height as its competitors - though the KTM 690 Enduro is a bit lower.

As to the Dakar, I've put some miles on one. It is *not* what I want. The words "gutless" and "awkward" are what come to mind every time i ride one of those previous F650's. Decent bikes and I know people that love and flog them, but it never felt right off pavement. They're damn heavy. 450lbs is not my idea of what a thumper should weigh. The stonkin' F800GS is barely heavier.

I'm a very generic 5'11" if I bother to stand up. I put a little time on one and found it tall, but aside from the bizarre rising action of the rear air suspension not prohibitively so. A somewhat lower seat and/or traditional shock puts it around the same seat height as its competitors - though the KTM 690 Enduro is a bit lower.

:rofl

:lurk

That could be a GREAT bike.

Lighter just seems righter :thumb

Somehow the available power/weight of "big" bikes seems excessive to "local" real world riding

The more I research and think about my time, albeit brief, on these bikes, the less interested I am in the X-challenge. IF money wasn't an issue, I'd get the KTM or X-challenge. The TE610 keep bubbling up to the top as a solid compromise for today.

What I really want is a KTM 640 Adventure minus the paint shaker qualities. As it stands, there's no idea when and if a 690 Adventure will appear on our shores. Again, I'm not thinking about a RTW bike. I find the long distance stuff less interesting these days and find that most of my riding is either urban or out in rural areas we have so much of out west. For this kind of riding the GS is fine, but less than great. And I like a bike that makes me grin stupid grins - some hooligan qualities are very desirable.

X-challenge
Pros: price, engine, service interval, fuel efficient
Cons: suspension (cheap unadjustable unworkable forks, weird rear shock), fragile rear subframe, soft-ish rims, expensive plastic, five speed

KTM 690 Enduro
Pros: Engine, suspension, suspension, decent seat height out of the box
Cons: price, new, lack of aftermarket support, no big tank option yet

Husqvarna TE 610
Pros: well sorted engine, suspension, gearing
Cons: dealer support, less fuel efficient

And, because others like them...

KLR 650
Pros: cheap, durable
Cons: everything else

F650 thumper
Pros: durable, long service interval
Cons: heavy, heavy, heavy

XR650R
Pros: durable, price, engine, aftermarket, more dirt
Cons: no magic button, less street

DR650
Pros: durable, cheap
Cons: performance

XR650L
Pros: durable, cheap
Cons: performance, vibration

have you considered the suzuki/kawasaki 400 dual sport?

and... 5'11" ??? you need to stand up straight!!! :ha

Slouching is better for your back despite what we were told as children. :whistle

Besides, I seem to remember being more than a bit taller than you and you ride that damn HP2! :ha

FWIW, I'm not tall by any measure, but run a sargent seat (taller and wider than stock) in the high position on my GS without any issues.

Lastly, with the big spaces we have out here, a 400's a bit tough to live with.

It's been quite amusing reading about these bikes over on some other forums. You get quite the cultural slice (gross generalities):

KLR-owners
Cheap and VERY sensitive about it.

XR-owners
Redneck and proud of it. Lots of chest thumping.

Husky-owners
Normal and adventurous :whistle

KTM-owners
Almost normal, but take some pride in their bikes being less than reliable as though it's proof that they're thoroughbreds. A certain smugness in knowing that they've got the coolest bikes.

X-challenge owners
Think spending thousands to make their bikes work the way they should have from the factory is perfectly ok. :hungover

And yet, people have successfully ridden them all over the world. Hard to argue with results.:dance

When the ultimate requirements are durability, simplicity, and disposability, they are indeed perhaps the best. I have somewhat different desires. :evil

I have to admit to being quite happy with my X-Country. Put Dirt Bagz on, changed out the tires for knobbies and hit the dirt roads. The seat is far more comfortable than the X-Challenge, although the handlebars could be higher for riding in the standing position. I don't imagine the close front fender would be great in mud, but that's not where I like to ride.

Sounds like you have narrowed it down to the KTM or the Husky and are trying to rule out the BMW. Cost of acquisition is a small part of what the life cycle costs will be and is quickly forgotten if the bike does not bend to your desires. What are they anyway?

Given the choice I have would lean toward the Husky if you can live with or address the range issue you raise.

Dealer support how many do you need? I can only use one at a time. Husky dealers will be gaining improved logistical support from their distribution system from what I have read. You have four in Oregon and the one in Gresham is both a Husky and KTM dealer.

Now can you make your own decision or is all the advice from advrider going to continue to confuse?
:ha

Sounds like you have narrowed it down to the KTM or the Husky and are trying to rule out the BMW. Cost of acquisition is a small part of what the life cycle costs will be and is quickly forgotten if the bike does not bend to your desires. What are they anyway?

Given the choice I have would lean toward the Husky if you can live with or address the range issue you raise.

Dealer support how many do you need? I can only use one at a time. Husky dealers will be gaining improved logistical support from their distribution system from what I have read. You have four in Oregon and the one in Gresham is both a Husky and KTM dealer.

Now can you make your own decision or is all the advice from advrider going to continue to confuse?

Just thinking "out loud" as it were. I'm not trying to rule out the BMW for any reason beyond how it performs and how sturdy it is.

As to how the costs of a bike disappear over its life, that may be true but that doesn't soften the impact much. "Honey, it really doesn't matter if this bike is 20% more expensive. Over the years I'll own it, does that really matter?" :ha

p.s. That dealer in Gresham is no longer a Husky dealer. The nearest one is 50 miles away - not a big deal. Until recently the nearest BMW dealer that wasn't horrifically bad was farther.

"Honey, it really doesn't matter if this bike is 20% more expensive. Over the years I'll own it, does that really matter?" :ha

I thought you built that beautiful dog house...err... studio for things like this so she would have a place to send you when you have conversations like this.
:dunno

:brad

I have been playing similar mental games with big singles but along the lines of a supermoto. I like the Husqvarna more and more as I read.

The husky has a few mild issues, but it keeps coming out as the best bet for me. It and the X-challenge are essentially the same price out the door, but the husky requires far less tweaking and those tweaks are far less expensive.

I'm going by a dealership today. :dance

I rode a 400 Suzuki a year or so ago in CA desert and mountains, they are truly a great bike and more than capable off road and peppier than our F650 on the road too.

Back