• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another brake question.

squiffynimrod

blah blah blah
Evening all,

finally getting around to putting the new seals in the brake calipers.
The left caliper had a smidgen of a silicone like material at the top where the retaining pins go. The right caliper has way more of it, very rubbery and well adhered, reminds me of an RTV sealant. Original? Purpose? Required on reassembly? I can't find any mention of a requirement in my Haynes or Snowbum's site.

Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• Red Brake Goo.jpg
    Red Brake Goo.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 110
Generally speaking, a brake caliper does not need a sealant like RTV or silicone.

I once had a late 70's Toyota Corolla where the calipers were un-able to be rebuilt. Even with new pistons the second time around they would ooze brake fluid when pressurized. In a situation like that, it is not much of a stretch to imagine a novice mechanic trying extra sealant to save a failed rebuild of a caliper that was beyond saving.

I would still have a go at a rebuild on your caliper if only because replacements are pricey. No need for extra sealant.

My guess is the silicon sealant was used to help retain the brake pad retaining pins. Or the PO may have thought a clicking noise could be eliminated.

Back to the brakes..... back brakes specifically.:dunno

I've just finished cleaning the rear brake area and installed the new shoes.
The kit came with a rubber damper for the rear spring. No instructions in the kit, and the one shown in the Haynes manual looks nothing like this one.

Do I have it in correctly?

Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• Brake damper.jpg
    Brake damper.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 63
You have the rubber damper installed correctly, but I would remove it. It makes the spring rub the wheel hub and often rotates, sometimes getting damaged in the process.

The damper was supposed to reduce squeaking, but I never found that it helped.

You have the rubber damper installed correctly, but I would remove it. It makes the spring rub the wheel hub and often rotates, sometimes getting damaged in the process.

The damper was supposed to reduce squeaking, but I never found that it helped.

Thanks. I'll think I'll remove it before I button it up. The old shoes were so worn the rear brakes were almost inoperable, but it didn't have the damper. But no squeaking. I can always put it in later. As a further note, the rear spring was quite loose compared to the front and the new ones. Stretched due to years of use. I'm glad I made this repair.

Back