• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does anybody soup up a beemer?

What would be interesting to see would be performance mods made by owner who is also a BMW engine or suspension design engineer.

Mods by shadetree "mechanics" not so much.

Crickets...That didn't take too long.

I didn't expect the topic to generate as much enthusiasm as yet another redundant farkle thread, but thought it might elicit a response from those who joined the club, and wondered if anyone else shared similar interests; I guess not.

Thanks for the link, OHScot. I picked up a quote there that kind of sums things up:
"I was in the Ducati shop the other day and ran into the owner of the BMW motorcycle shop who was buying parts for his Ducati!!!! Too funny!! He doesn't own a BMW sport bike, but owns a Ducati!"

It reminded me that my "local" (six hour round-trip away) dealer also sells KTMs and Kawasakis. The owner and some of the staff race, and usually park a couple of their race bikes in the showroom to generate interest; all of them KTMs or Kawasakis.

Although there is a certain amount of "Gear Headedness" among beemer riders, it's not a major focus.

There were many airhead gearhead modifications, some which were real improvements, some were negative improvements.

The main focus though of course has been to travel, with relatively high reliability and little fuss.

Those of us who still own British bikes, remember them well, and well isn't an apt description of how they ran. My 75 Norton and 74 R90/6 had a 1 to 8 ratio on the odometer respectively, which was inversely related to the maintenance requirements.

When I was 18, performance modifications were a constant topic of discussion for me, 33 years later, I ride an R90/6 and the least expensive performance modification would be for me to go on a diet.

Regards, Rod.

Back