• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring Help

greenwald

Hyper Lites on the way from CycleGadgets.

The 16 LED's per side flashing brake lights.

Any suggestions as to which wires I tap into on a 2005 R1200RT tailight assembly?

Wiring

I have the same setup on my '07. The kit comes with wiring details that are very easy to follow. You should have no problems just leave enough wire to pull off the tail light housing if you place the LED's on the bottom of the housing.

The instructions are pretty clear cut. However, this link may be useful from the HyperLites site:

http://www.hyperlites.com/wire.html

I had a few questions on the last setup I did. Its a 16LED running/brake/turn set and a regular 16LED running/brake set. I called them up with a few questions and they were great, actually walked me right through one problem over the phone.

FWIW.

JEP

Hey, thanks guys.

Tomorrow, I will attempt a HyperLites install on my son's Honda ST1300. Read the instructions and understand them, but Sean at CycleGadgets cautioned me that Honda is notorious for not always running the hot lead to the bulb center and ground to the housing.

Guess we'll find out.

Is there a way I can test which is which?

Mine should arrive in a few days.

Get a test light, connect the ground to the frame or engine. Turn the bike on (don't need to start it) and see where the hot lead is. You'll have three wires/connections to check - one will be ground, one is for the tail light, and the third will be hot when the brakes are applied. An easy way to check is to remove the tail light and let it hang by the wires hile you do this.

Get a test light, connect the ground to the frame or engine. Turn the bike on (don't need to start it) and see where the hot lead is. You'll have three wires/connections to check - one will be ground, one is for the tail light, and the third will be hot when the brakes are applied. An easy way to check is to remove the tail light and let it hang by the wires hile you do this.

Thanks!

Well......after an afternoon from hell, we finally got the HyperLites up and running. None of the OEM connectors were working well, and true to form, Honda was not consistent with their wiring colors.

Not to mention the tail light assembly on an ST1300 does not come off.....you have to 'drop' the rear fender to access the bulbs and needed wires. Whew!

Calling RON at HyperLites was a Godsend. He patiently walked us through some issues, and even sent redesigned connectors free-of-charge for future needs.

Have a set of HyperLites coming for my R1200RT.

May need Zoloft (in bulk) before I begin that project.

Back