• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Questions about Deal`s Gap Rumors?

beemerred

I have recently talked to two younger biker friends that know that I have been to the Dragon many times and they both said the same thing. And that was that the LEO community has severely cracked down on the use of US 129 to the point of taking bikes after speeding tickets of more than 20 mph over and also that they have lowered the speed limit on the Dragon. I would like someone from the area around the Fontana Dam to address these rumors. I was planning on visiting the Gap during the National Rally but will convienently avoid the area if need be. I can be happy doing the Cherohola, Wolf Pen Gap, Sam`s Gap, and the whole area surrounding T.W.O. if that`s what needs to be to keep my bike out of hock? I know some of you will say to just slow down but unfortunately that is some of the "magic" for me. Your response, please and Thanks.

This looks like a mess.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJ9pAIgfyFQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJ9pAIgfyFQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My avatar photo was taken riding through the dragon on August 5, 2007. We had stayed in Knoxville the night before and decided to ride the dragon and cherohala early and make our way on home. We didn't know what we were heading into at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday morning but the troopers were already out there. I have ridden the dragon several times on a couple different bikes. This was the first for the R1100S. It was my most enjoyable ride yet. On a side note, I rode through the dragon with my shield flipped up because I had a hitchhiker upon take-off. A moth flew in and rode by my right temple from the TN side into North Carolina. When I would speed up, he was quiet, when I had to let off a bit, he fluttered. I kept the shield up to give him the opportunity to get out, and I did have on glasses. Needless to say I did not count troopers as I had something else on my mind and I was very focused on riding. When we got stopped, he flew out and sat on my mirror for a while. After we got home I read stories of troopers giving out tickets for faceshields being up, and for people having recorders. I have a camera on my bike. The troopers didn't bother me. I have heard and read where you can be ticketed by helicopters on the Cherohala Skyway. Honestly I fear the knee draggers that come around some of those curves on your side, the cars doing the same thing, and big trucks more than the troopers.

You will have better riding and far less hassle if you ride the mountains in Virginia. We're mapping out a few rides that have I know you will enjoy.

We are looking to ride the Virginia Mountains and would appreciate any information given.

rode 5 times last summer

I rode the Dragon 5 times list summer. Saw lots of troopers, especially on the weekend. Pushed my R1200GS a bit, thanks to a little luck and warnings from oncoming riders, got no tickets. It is a GREAT ride. Weekends are like a carnival. I recommend trying it, but exercize some control.
Marty

I rode the Dragon a couple times coming back from Vermont in 2006. It's definitely an entertaining bit of road, but it would not be on my regular list of places if I lived close enough to visit regularly.

It's not just the "kneedraggers", as one poster above put it: I came up on a cruiser rider with his SO on the back and even below the speed limit he was spending more time in the oncoming lane than on our side. I pulled over and let him get down the road so I wouldn't be a part of his accident. He had no business being out there, and he was far from the only one I saw.

I'm glad the Dragon gets all of this attention, because it means that a number of other roads there get a lot less.

And frankly, why the big fuss over 11 miles of curves? I can show you 100 miles of curves within a day's ride of SF and 50 miles of curves within a couple hour's ride of LA, both with far less traffic and practically zero enforcement than that circus.

You can try here for updates and general info, Click Here. They also have a forum if you have questions.

In my opinion there are better rides in the area, the Cherohala Skyway is a good example and it is much more scenic. If you have never ridden Deal's Gap my advice is to do it, but be sure it's on a weekday. I don't live very far from the Gap but only ride by there 2-3 times a year, and very rarely do I actually ride through the Gap anymore.

Sorry if I offended with the knee dragger in my explanation above. Point taken is if you ride this road, you are very apt to find someone coming in your lane. At different speeds.

I agree there are as good a roads and better in the area that is less congested. I prefer the Cherohala, Foothills Pkwy, and I love the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I rode Wolf Pen Gap road last May and liked it too. Not much traffic on it at all. We have some good roads on down in Middle TN if you ever come this way.

Last edited:
I ride the NC/TN mountains a lot, and have ridden the Dragon many times. Here's my advice:

1) Ride it on a weekday.

2) Ride it at speed limit or speed limit +5 in the straights. Feel free in the corners. You'll notice that cops usually sit on a straight section just after a corner, looking for people who are exiting the corner at speed an accelerating in the straight. If you power through a corner, let off at the end and slow down for the straight.

3) Cops will drive the Dragon also, keep on your side of the yellow.

4) Have a radar detector.

5) If you MUST get into it, and you want to ride hard, I suggest riding a section, like 1 or two miles, and make sure it is cop free. Then, turn around and nail it on the section you've cleared. Of course, a cop could still pop up but you are likely OK.

6) The area around there has so many great roads. Too many to list. They are all really as good as the Dragon, just not famous.

7) Always signal other riders if you see a cop. Pat your helmet. I've been saved, and saved others, many times. If we work as a team, we can beat the cops.

8) I have occasionally run scout. I get about a 5 minute head start and run at the limit. If I see a cop, I U turn and if my buddy see's me coming back, he knows to slow down. Of course, this is for stationary cops, not cops driving as you'd have to pass them to warn a buddy!

9) Drag that knee and have fun (keeping the above in mind); And keep your eyes open for cars/bikes/trucks coming into your lane. It is not a track.

My avatar too is a pic on the Dragon from Killboy.com

I rode the Dragon last September on a weekday and didn't see any cops. There were quite a few guys on racebikes with full leathers, and license plates stuffed way up under the fenders.
Some of them passed me at twice my speed(I would pull over to let them by) they would give a friendly wave with the front wheel in the air as they went by.
Awesome to watch, they seemed to know what they were doing.
My point is:
With guys like that around, what cop is going to give me a second look. It's pretty fun at or below the speed limit!

I agree. You don't have to ride the Dragon very fast to have fun. Some of my best rides were just concentrating on hitting apexes and riding smooth. I shoot for a lower entry speed and a clean post apex out. The road is fun, but dang, it gets tiring after a while with all the chicanes.

The Gap

Hell, it isn't even a close match for the SS46.

SS46??

The first time I road the gap was when I found it by accident in 1980?? Well the last time I was at the gap, a year and 1/2 ago, it was kind of crowded on a Monday.

I had a much better ride home than my time at the gap. 5 hours to 100 miles as the crow flies :) .

It has become a destination for many riders. There are MANY great roads in N GA, W NC, the SC escarpment and E TN.

I'm looking forward to finding more roads in E TN myself. Lets see the Gap is 150 miles away, the boring way, and shady Valley is 40.

I rode the Dragon two years ago and had a blast. A weekday is much better than the weekends.

You can check out this site for info but in my opinion, the owners of the site are very angry with THP and have no trouble letting readers know this. It tends to skew their info somewhat. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Also check out Killboy's site. http://www.killboy.com/destiny.html He seems to try to keep peace between motorcyclists and law enforcement.

We are heading there after the rally and I can't wait to have another go at it. I'm bringing the Guzzi this time.

Yea, that sounds like a real bummer :brow

Well, yes, Bob, I deserved to be called out on that one! I also complain that it is too sunny, there's too many choices at the buffet, and there are too many beautiful women at the beach. If you are going to the rally, I will ask you to slap me hard for that remark. Too many chicanes, what an idiotic statement!

I see big trucks in the Gap more often than you might think, they should not be allowed. I ran across this a few years ago, I believe the driver was from Wisconsin. Be careful!

DSCN1202Custom.jpg

DSCN1207Custom.jpg

DSCN1210Custom.jpg

Back