• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pacific Northwest and Victoria BC

If the weather is nice and you ride over Stevens Pass to Everett, follow I-5 north to Mt. Vernon, hang a west on 20 to Anacortes, and catch the WA State ferry from Anacortes to Sidney. If you have time to visit any of the (San Juan) islands, it gets a little tricky, since the "international" sailings to Sidney BC are separate from the inter-island sailings. International service begins March 29. For info: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedules

Pick up 20 in Eastern WA and head over through the North Cascades. 2 on the west side of the state is horrible. 2 from Gold Bar to Everett in stop and go junk. Ugh. Leavonworth, while fun, is pure tourist tripe in the summer. Big time TRAFFIC!

Follow 20 over if you come through Washington. (see my earlier post)

If you do come through the gorge head to the coast and pick up 101 and follow that to Port Angeles. Careful as there are two 101's on the Olympic Peninsula, as it loops around the mountains! Head to the coast! The Pacific Coast in June is jaw dropping. Head north and catch the ferry to Vic from there.

Digital camera? Pack plenty of cards! We wanna see pictures. :lurk

Washington Pass, Highway 20 between Winthrop and Burlington. This is the fabled "Alps of Washington", and there are two passes here, Washington at 5477 ft and Rainy at 4855 ft. There is a rest area just uphill from here, and an overlook on those exposed rocks. If you ride 20, be sure to gas up at Winthrop heading west, or Marblemount heading east. There are no services between Newhalem and Winthrop. It's a beautiful ride, but patrolled by LEOs on weekends.

Attachments

• R100 WA Pass 02.jpg
    R100 WA Pass 02.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 40
Highway 20 eastbound looking back up at Washington Pass

Attachments

• R100t below WA pass.jpg
    R100t below WA pass.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 40
View from the Washington Pass overlook, with Hwy 20 below Liberty Bell Mtn.

20070909-004.jpg

Sounds like he needs the whole summer to tour the northwest! There are so many great places to ride here that it can make it difficult to choose one or even 3 or 4.

I will say that your first time on Hwy 20 while riding can be a challenge! So much of natures beauty to see! I want to go back there again when I can move just a little slower than 90 mph and take it all in.

Here is one looking into east at Crown Point up the Columbia River.
DSC05590.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Back