• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 Fuel Gauge Problems

robindg

I just took my 2008 K1200GT out of storage and the fuel gauge states that the tank is empty. Look in the gas tank, full. The low fuel gauge indicator is flashing along with the yellow hazard light is flashing. I called the dealer and they state that the electronic fuel sensor is probably fried. Out of 100 bikes they sold in 2008, they have replaced 15 so far. My bike has 600 miles on it. Has anyone else that this problem?

2008 fuel gauge failure

I just took my 2008 K1200GT out of storage and the fuel gauge states that the tank is empty. Look in the gas tank, full. The low fuel gauge indicator is flashing along with the yellow hazard light is flashing. I called the dealer and they state that the electronic fuel sensor is probably fried. Out of 100 bikes they sold in 2008, they have replaced 15 so far. My bike has 600 miles on it. Has anyone else that this problem?[/QUOTE]

I just took my 2008 K1200GT out of storage and the fuel gauge states that the tank is empty. Look in the gas tank, full. The low fuel gauge indicator is flashing along with the yellow hazard light is flashing. I called the dealer and they state that the electronic fuel sensor is probably fried. Out of 100 bikes they sold in 2008, they have replaced 15 so far. My bike has 600 miles on it. Has anyone else that this problem?
[/QUOTE]

My wife and I have had 5 bikes (K12S) since '05 and 3 of them developed bad fuel strips. One of them at 10 miles.

YUP. At around 28,000 miles, my fuel gauge began to register....not register.....register....not.......well, you get the picture.

Still under warranty, so the dealer replaced a bad fuel strip, and no problems since.

Hopefully, the frequency of this issue is being taken seriously in Berlin, and a 'better mousetrap' is being designed for future BMW's.

Good Luck.

From the fiche, the '09 K1300S and GT went to a float type sensor. The R1200RT still shows a fuel strip as does the GS.

You are lucky that you found the problem at home. I ran out of gas at night, in a bad part of town, at 32 degrees, with the guage showing 1/2 full. Bad strip. Good freinds came to the rescue. Now I set the trip meter when I fill up.

Fuel sensor failure

The fuel sensor on my 2009 R1200RT quit at 3,600 miles. All else is working satisfactorily.
Dealer states that this is not an isolated case.
Will have it repaired on Nov6, 2009.
Curious to find out if it happens again.

This is an on-going issue. I had two 1200GS bikes before my K13GT and both of them had to have their fuel sensor strips replaced...I've had my GT sensor strip malfunction once, but it cured itself, so I'm waiting to see if it happens again...

2008 GT Fuel Gauge

Mine went last year at 450 miles on the bike. Was told by the BMW techs that I should expect to replace it every three years and that BMW will not acknowledge that there is a problem.

I always use the trip odometer as a guide. Another poster gave that advice, and it is certainly prudent.

BTW, it is about a $400 repair according to the service manager.

K12S Fuel Gauge

My 2008 K1200S is on its second fuel strip with just 7250 on the odometer. Sure hope Berlin gets it sorted out before my warranty expires in 12/11.

Back