• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First Oil Thread...heh

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
Ok. The first oil thread on the new K bikes here...heh.
BMW has said from the beginning on the '05 K12S not to use 20W anything. Only 10W40 or 15W40. Then with the '08 book, they recommend 10WX.
I kind of wanted to use BMW 15W50, but have reconsidered and think I will stick with the 10W40 BMW or Amsoil. Both are JASO-MA good for wet clutches.
I have heard of a couple of actual dry plates in the clutch pack upon dissassembly. And some dealers modifying the oil holes in the clutch basket to allow more oil to pass thru. Not sure about that of course, but it makes me want to stick with the 10W40 all year around.

BMW has now come out with a synth 15W40 which satisfies the owner book requirements for hot weather JASO-MA and all that. About $11 per quart.

Does BMW recommend using full synthetic with their wet clutch design? Just curious since my brother has an 08 wing and dealer said using full synthetic would reduce the clutch life.

Roy

They do, after the obligatory 6K miles. I've long thought that the synth oil is just oil that has longer lasting viscosity, etc. Maybe more antiacids. Flows easier when very cold. But while it flows easier against itself, it's not like it behaves like moly or anything as far as parts go against themselves. But I've always started using it when/if the oil consumption is minimum or zero (like all of my K bikes for the last 22 years).

Thanks for the reply Jack.
My last wet clutch bike was an 82 GS650 Suzuki. From memory the owners manual stated to never to use any oil additives but in 82 synthetics probably were not real popular.

Ride safe

Roy

Back