• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch Judder?

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
Anybody have this clutch judder? We have 2 '08 K12Ses and they both have it to some degree. Seems like it is more pronounced if I let the rear wheel drive the clutch instead of shifting as the engine is still driving the clutch.
I guess it's not a big deal, and the drain plug is clean (~8000 miles).
Just wondering.

I think its normal

I've noticed the same thing on my bike but I doubt its anything to worry about. It just wouldn't be a beemer without transmission noises.

I don't have one, still dreaming, but on other sites I have seen such comments. Primarily I have seen them relative to the GT, to the extent some are really unhappy. But, it is what I have read and may only represent a very small minority on something relatively subjective.

My 1300GT has it too

Didn't have it at all at first. Now with 2k miles, it's there, but barely.

Seems more noticable when bike is good and warm.

I get that everyonce in a while, but i attribute it to me as sometimes I am in too high of a gear going too slow. I was able to leave s top light in 4th!! because i forgot to downshift - obviously still learning the bike - it's that smooth

sometimes it happens so qucik I can't slip the clutch fast enough, but for the most part, it is one of the slickest shifting trannys i ever had. Plus i like the first gear clunk :lurk

I thought I had the judder:scratch:laugh:laugh

Still learning the bike as well but noticed it the other day since it isn't the same feel as the dry clutched boxers.

I've really been noticing it on inclines out here in WVa, etc. Not really an issue, because the clutch works well. I think the 1300 has a different friction material and I kind of assumed that it didn't have the judder.

After being on the GSA all last week, took the wedge out today and about blew off the seat when I cracked the throttle in third:laugh Tried to feel the judder, but the whole bike is so smooth after the Boxer Buzz I didn't notice it today.

Clutch Shutter or Chatter

At 500 miles I felt it faintly had the Service Manager explain to me it"s a break in thing than at 2500 miles the same Service Manager said it wasn't significant enough to worry about. A month ago at 6,000 miles I bought the bike in and just left it un-driveable Dealership started withit needs a engine oil change :laugh Than it's driver sloppy drive habits :stick Now they'll have BMW pay for it after a month of letting it sit there as they worked on everything else.

Don't let them do this to you - You feel it get it documented and get it corrected it only gets worse.

The dealer was very unprofessional and the owner of the dealership was just as bad as the service manager.

I know warranty claims are tough for dealerships especially on Clutch - Brakes - Cosemetics BUT this clutch problem is a major issue on the K's

You can't destroy a wet clutch in 6,000 miles even if your an idiot, which I am not!

I have gotten mine to do it or at least have me be more cognizant of it.

Usually in first gear as i am letting out the clutch and not being as quick with the throttle it will grrrr a litte.

If i increase the gas it goes away....

Clutch Judder

My 07 GT had issues with the judder when cold or under load.
The dealer gave me the "party" line that it's normal, but I persisted.
They tried to make me think it was me, but I pointed out that my 85 K100 RT that I had for 24 years never had the clutch apart and only needed adjustment a few times.
There was a recall torque issue with some bolts from the factory and they were re-done, but it was still there.
Long story short, they put in a new clutch and viola no more judder.
Moral of the story ... keep after them while it's still under warranty!

I noticed this on a Demo K1300GT I rode a couple weeks ago. Not sure if that means it's normal, but the bike only had a few hundred miles on it and admittedly I wasn't expecting it from a wet clutch bike...but then I reminded myself its a BMW :)

I read in the K Bike Forums that this has been a problem affecting some of the K1200. I have aprox 15,000 miles now and the problem started around the 900 mile mark with a squeek/sqelch type of sound taking off in 1st gear under load. Never tell the wife it happens when she's on it!
Now there is absolutely NO judder or squeek.
Some forums indicated an oil change or change to synthetic stopped it.
Who knows, but I'm getting close to an oil change and my bike is perfect.
I have ridden the 13's and the clutch/gearbox was very slick (like the japanese).
I had also tried out the 12's at the Americade Rally and thro demo rides (about 1/2 dozen or so) and this was never evendent.
I couldn't have bought a better bike. The 12's and the 13's are incredible.
I been to the track 1 time and have 2 more booked with the new bike (I had my 85 K100RT to the track over 20 times) and it's unbelievable.
BTW when I sold my K100 last month (Hated to see her go!) it just snicked into 1st and purred away with the new owner.
My BMW shop (Durham BMW in Ajax) have been fantastic after they understood I wasn't giving up on the new bike.
Sure they're expensive, but my japanese bikes would never last 24+ years, perform so well and only need preventive maintenance (70 oil changes and 23 tires etc.).
I'm a fast rider, but don't like the 1/4 mile type of thing as much as corners.
I've tried all the different bikes from Ducati's to Harley's (Ya ... I know!) and the new generation BMW's are the M5's of the biking world!
Very happy camper now, but there was some turbulance.
Try out another bike as sometimes those demos anre demoed!

Marty
2007 K1200GT
1985 K100RT (owned since new, sold July 09)

Hmmm...
My clutch judder seems to have abated with the new recommended 5W40 synthetic oil from BMW (made by Spectro). A BMWNA bulletin recommends this oil at the 600 mile change...again regardless of what the owner's manual says.
I'm told that a BMW rep out west recommends the 5W40 as well and mentioned the CASTROL PowerRS R4 4T Synthetic 4-Stroke Motor 5W40.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=CAS_12904

Run the video...he mentions the clutch...

Good video.

Is the BMW 5W40 the sames as the Castrol 5W40 just branded for BMW?

No. The BMW branded is made by Spectro as are all the BMWNA oils. I wondered if I should try the Castrol...maybe next time, but things are good right now. Seems to shift quieter too on the '08 K12S. I wondered if the thinner oil reduces the hydraulic hookup of the clutch plates.
But not on the '06 K12S also with the BMW 5W40. So...don't know...they both have about 12K miles.

When I had my 600 done they put in 10W40 - that is what was shown on the ticket

That was the standard. Last year. Then (as is becoming common with these new engine bikes) they changed the recommendation to the 5W40. There has always been a "no 20W anything" message from the beginning. That was stressed at the BMW tech schools more than anywhere else like tech media. Then BMWNA came out with more choices of 10W instead of just 15W synth and now 5W.
It feels foreign to use a 5W in a BMW motorcycle, but hey...change...heh.
The last time I used 5W30 synth or some such in a BMW was in my '78 R100RS so I could get it started on 10 degree days sitting outside the lab all day. That was in the early '80s when Mobil 1 first came out. My oil consumption with that oil in the winter was about 500 miles/qt in the airhead. But it started with that Mobil 1. And the engine looked good when we dissasembled it at about 70K to put in the 3piece oil rings to try to dry it up a little (it used oil with 20W50 in the summer too).

Back