• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

3 1300 topic

roadcrave

PRAY BEFORE RIDING
Ok im Mad as a hornet to read this authors statment Quote:((First the bad news. Riders who own a K 1200 S, K 1200 R or K 1200 GT might think that they have a very modern motorcycle but they are about to find out that their machines now belong to yesterday.)) Yes some truth new technology,, big hairy deal with 15 or so more added horsepower, some esa improvements, the old k1200 2006-2007 are outdated??????????....well what about the k75 technology which was one of the finest engineered bikes of its time, very reliable, dependable, never leaves you stranded,they are still around today and still running strong, I think BMW can keep their technology for the rich guys who want to lay out 19000 plus dollars for a k1300's and field test them on the streets for BMW corp,,,I purchased a 2007 k1200r Sport for 9500, big price difference with LITTLE difference in TECHNOLOGY for the price difference ....just from my point of view matthew

That's just a BMW ad. They are written to sell new products. Just change the channel.

:dunno

Technology never stops. IF you care about having the latest and greatest then it is indeed true that you've got an "outdated" machine if you don't have that latest and greatest.

The same applied to the Hexhead/Oilhead generation change. I could not justify the additional money for the little technology upgrade. And it is basically true for ANY new model vehicle. New models are mainly for those who need them to show off to their friends and neighbours rather than obtaining an improvement for themselves. Why do you think there are so many low mileage Road Kings for sale?

I thought new models were motorcycles that sometimes we decided that we really really want because a particular bike presses our happy button. I've never bought a new bike, but many of my friends have and I don't recall showing off being part of the motivation.

Oilhead/Hexhead drama...

I remember when BMW dropped the price significantly on the R1100S's when the R1200's came out. There were quite a few disgruntled R1100S owners who felt they paid too much.

I stand by my opinion that the best way to buy a BMW motorcycle is "used".

I thought new models were motorcycles that sometimes we decided that we really really want because a particular bike presses our happy button. I've never bought a new bike, but many of my friends have and I don't recall showing off being part of the motivation.

I think I get the latest, in a way, to avoid being resistant to change. And I have been rewarded with learning new things.
I think there are only two conditions in life, change and dead.

Whats to show off Two wheels and Handlebars

We are not buying yachts here. If you like your bike keep it.

We are not buying yachts here. If you like your bike keep it.

Thats right and it all goes back to the RIDE, how does it feel to you and does its meet your expectations, does it tickle the center of your SOUL, each one of us are different in so many ways, one thing to think about is your skill level to ride say a k1300s, I think this bike is going to hurt allot of people out ther over the next several years, its a powerful machine and so is the k1200s,r, I wont know how the k1200 r sport is till I ride one a season to give feedback, I just bought my 2001 k1200rs last october put 7000 miles on it this summer, loaded it with all the accessaries, awsome ride in the twisties ground my feelers 1/2 way down in the twisties after My trip from Europe and its fine tuning rides like the Passo del Stelvio which brings me to my search for more HP, thats right Im 51 and need more power I think im a Junky for bikes, I do know this that in Germany, i fell in LOVE with the k12oos and cant imagine a 1300 being anything that I absoluly need with only 15 more hp ....matthew

I'll keep my old switches, thanks (trying to cheapen them by paring back to one switch vs 3 I guess).
Tomorrow the mrs and I are picking up a new 09 Buick LaCrosse. The '10 comes out this summer and looks really neato. The 09 has a chassis which really has been around since the mid 90s. And the pushrod 3800 motor, which stopped production last August (RIP 3800!).
I'd rather let someone else be the guinea pig, it's better to buy the LAST year a model is produced, not the FIRST!

Gilly

New vs Old

Thats the beauty of most BMW folks ,not the ad men, they don't give a s*** what you ride, just that you DO ride and do it with a smile on your face.
I did just buy a K1300gt last week and have ridden a 07 K1200gt for 2 years. both are incredible machines with noticeable but not major differences. It really is about what ride is best for you not the status of it all. Did I mention "the smile on your face?"

Last edited:
Yes smiles per miles, whatever the ride, and Yes it is about the ride and the journey along the way, My new k1200r Sport just got shipped Today hope to see it soon with all the snow melting here in the NW we are all anxious to get out and smile again, by the time my ride arriives ill have no snow on the ground, I will be able to experiance this again>>>> after My trip from Europe and its fine tuning rides like the Passo del Stelvio which brings me to my search for more HP, thats right Im 51 and need more power I think im a Junky for bikes, since in Europe I rode the k1200s just fine but would like allittle more long distance comfort, a new k1200R SPORT in mind,, to feel the rush in the twisties again and again as i slice thru the Apex so perfectly and dust all my freinds again and again,,,OH for a moment OH were was I, I think, I think I was daydreaming again and again,, SORRY...matthew

Already masses of button failures on the new k1300 models, they seem to go out randomly and can be either side, k1300 such a new bike what else can go wrong, :banghead matthew

Finaly got to ride my 2007 k1200R Sport, why would I ever want a 1300:dunno , WOW THIS BIKE IS FAST :brad , and it handle like a feather compared to what Im used to:dance

Ok. I read the article. Interesting about the "servo motor" making the throttle separate cables for opening and closing even easier. I don't see anything like that in the 1300S fiche.
Maybe they'll have cruise next year.

I hadn't read about the optional shift-assisting thing before either.
The throttle sounds goofy, it better work right. Sounds like a throttle by wire, but with cables too? Like they're not sure it will work OK so we better have cables just in case? I bet it'll be lots off fun to control the throttle if the servo quits. Y'know other companies DO have throttle by wire, BMW.........

Gilly

Back