• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Central CALIF.GS riders:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
Anybody want to do a GS/GSA get together anytime soon. Clovis,CA here in the foothills just to the East of Clovis...I have 3 acres, plenty of room for whatever and/or a meeting place for rides in and around the Sierra Foothills, which are plenty GREEN and Flowers popping up too for those best photo ops. Maybe a tech day, for all you wantabe wrenches on your own bikes. I have the place, tools, bike lift, etcetc and even a barbecue could be in the works. My interests are Airheads and GSA's. A BMW dealer exists, just 15 miles away for those needing parts, etcetc....The KLR650 folks and their website do these sort of get together(s) frequently, so why not some Beemers? We also own a KLR650:). Just a spark/thoughts:)...Comments please? I've been wrenching my own BMW's for 35 years and my new GSA is no exception...Valves, FD's,splines, etc,etc...I'll share what I know:)..Randy:wave

Later;

Maybe another time, as this seems a dead end! I beleive Beemer folks are for the most part, very independent and ride a lot, not extremely socialable but friendly. I'm out here looking to ride any given day:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb

GSing in the Central Valley

What a generous offer. I would come out to Clovis from Pacific Grove (Monterey area) if such an event / gathering were to take place. I presently ride a 2008 R1200GS (This bike is the 5th BMW GS that I've owned) and while I have ridden over some crazy off-road terrain, I mostly consider myself a street rider. I prefer paved roads!
Nonetheless, my e-mail is jhjpariser@hotmail.com and I'd love to come out and meet some other riders of our ilk.
Thanks

Good:)

I know Monterey fairly well and your area of the coast. I kept my sailboat in Monterey Bay until recently, as she sold. Riding over there is always exceptional as well. My area of the(Clovis East) Sierra Foothills is exceptional right now, for perhaps the next couple months as the wildflowers and green foothills, full rivers flowing fast and the likes are tremendous to ride about. I may have to do something to bring about such an event, as I have the want and the bikes have been such a huge part of all my life to this day, at age 56:). GS's have been a mainstay for me too, with a few others models thrown in. 3 in the garage right now. I'll keep your post handy and you can hear it here too, if something happens. Randy:usa

I have a 1200 GS

I live in Seattle area but have plan on going to FIM World Superbike race this May/June. I appreciate your offer and idea. I have not riden much in California, just from Reno back to Seattle thru Northern California.

If you are still planning this I would like to hear more on idea of camping and GS owner get together if that is what you are thinking.

Chuck
1150 RT
1200 GS

:type

Enumclaw, I know that place;

Ridden there in years past on the dirt, using motocross bikes. A fun time. Yes, I have the desire to do a GS get together and have to pick a time and some stuff to do. Camping is a favorite of mine too. I did one last year, into the very "high country" Sierra's, but Spring time is another kind of event, due to snow up there. I'm working on it. Chuck in Enumclaw:). I have taken into fishing again and find myself enjoying it again, after a lot of years not doing so. The Kings River flows mighty LARGE this time of year and rafting, kayakers and the like are in their heaven the next couple months. Camping up there would be really good for some GS'rs carrying gear for the fishy's. My place can be a gathering place one weekend soon, for one night and onward into the California Outback from here. Great adventures wait, very nearby me:). I'm certainly getting the GS itch to go again soon....Randy:thumb :usa

GS riding in California

nice to hear your interst in riding on dirt.

Have you carried fishing gear with you on your off road camping. I was looking into a travel fly pole but have not found one that meets my price book yet. What time of year is good for camping at the Kings River area you were talking about?:thumb

Not sure if I can make a trip to california this year but was hoping to do something in the north east part of oregon around Enterprise and Hells Canyon area.

I normally just camp only and eat at restaurants have not done any cooking, thought the mess or trouble was not worth the effort, what do you normally do.

Anyway keep me up on your plans and I will see if I can join if time and place looks good.

Packing Poles:)

I have a very nice fishing rod that packs into a custom aluminum tube that carries real nice anywhere on the GSA. Its only two feet long, broke down and was handed down to me by my Grandfather. Its quite nice having the aluminum carry tube. Reels pack anywhere, with small tackle boxes available at any WalMart...They also sell, break down poles and my wife made me a nice sleeve out of fleece to carry it, before I got the family heirloom pole:). Food? Anything from freeze dried meals at REI and other adventure stores, have come a long ways in the GOOD eating department. Hot water is all you need to add to these and/or cook the fish(nice trout) caught, as we did last year camping on GS's...Drinks? What you carry in, but I consume spring water mostly:). Good luck finding riders in your area for such. Washington is such a beautiful riding state and I've been all over up there, too:). Last summer, wife and her '08KLR650 and my GSA rode the northern border route through Cascades NP and the Olympic Peninsula and south to CA., coming home from Gilette, Wyoming. What a great ride we had. Randy:usa :thumb

Kings River,CA. Camping?

From now on through the summer is good camping there. Its a major river coming from Sequoia NP into the San Juaquin Valley near where I live. Elevation is 3-4000 feet and is on the edge of snow country. Its one of California's most pristine wild rivers, flowing out of the highest peak region of the lower 48, Mt. Whitney(14395 feet) A wonderful GS riding area, fishing and camping:). No services in there however, so its carry in what you need to survive/eat/drink in comfort:). Real GS Adventurism! The mountain ride "starts" right out my backdoor, no freeways from here:). Randy :usa :thumb

living off the land

thanks for your ideas, when I did high country hiking I enjoyed the freeze dried food but that was 15 years ago, I guess it would not hurt to add to my pack.

I thought I would try it out in mt st helens or mt adams area since they are within hour from my house.

Last year, on my first long weekend ride with my new GS, I took the twisty road from clarkston washington into oregon. I fell in love with that area and plan on going back in late summer if I have time.

Have a great Spring, Summer and Fall riding year in 2009.

Anybody GOING?

I have a SHORT NOTICE weekend GS RIDE if folks have the ability to go:). Weekend, April10-12(Fri.-Sunday) into the Kings River Wilderness above my home. You can meet me at my place East of Clovis 11 miles, along the foothills. Saturday morning depart here for overnight tenting(one night) along the Kings River, fishing and just kickback. Off roading GS style is an option and the rides of this sort in this area, require some average to expert riders on new "Spring" jeep trails. Ruts and fresh water run off trails may well exist on these. At least two riders is a must, over the outback, for obvious safety. Solo is very risky, as the terrain is rough in places, where communications is zero, with few folks to find you. Friday night is aok at my place, for those riding far, or accomodations in Clovis are easy to find. I rode the above area today and found it really incredible, with high river and flowers everywhere along the mountainsides. I will make a route based on riders skills and the dirt can be an option, with the tough stuff left out. OR, I will take you to the limit, with challenges, in a safe manner, of course. Numbers make the wilderness safer and riders needing help can get it:). The camps are accesable via the last couple miles dirt ridng on graded dirt, one laners. Easy:). Elevation is 3500-4000' at the camps. No stores, no gas and a 200 mile range is a good idea, which most have. Chevron gas is available 3 miles from my home. Its mountain riding, right out my back door, so please feel free to ride along. I fish and will while there, for a few hours anyhow and maybe Sunday morning too for an hour+. "Rangers" up there ride dirt bikes and I saw one today on a KTM. River is getting higher and the rafters are already going after it too..."Kings River Expiditions", for those interested. Sorry for short notice, BUT my weekends are getting full and not many options for me. I ride Arizona after this, quite often:). Randy...I will keep my MOA Forum page at hand everyday so I'll know:). Happy Trails:usa

Back