• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Batterytender fail.

dorongrudo

Capt. Grudo
Hi to all.

Just got off the phone with the Batterytender people. Bad.
First of all, they don't return phone calls.

Now the story. My little Batterytender failed. Called customer service. Was told that they have 5 year warranty and to send mine in. No word about additional fees.

Send mine in. Called a week later. They got my batterytender Jr. and it is not working and it is under warranty. Now... do I want to give my credit card number for the "warranty fee"?

"Warranty fee" WT&^% is that? something is warranted or it isn't.

Refused to pay and will buy another - by a different company.

Just to let you guys know.

In all fairness you did not disclose how much the fee actually was. Was it about the same as the cost of shipping back by a reputable courier + a small handling charge for paperwork?
BatteryTender make a reasonable product. How may other items out there carry a 5 year warranty? Don't be too harsh on them.

Yes, I should have disclosed the fee.
Together with shipping back to me, it is $11.00
No big deal. My R1200RT cost me $20,000.
However, there is more to the story
1. No fee and/or returning cost were discussed at initial call.
2. With my cost of shipping to them, the whole deal would have cost me $19.00
3. New Batterytender Jr on Ebay is $24 (well, plus shipping)

Still, that is not the whole story. I am not after saving a penny. I buy all my tires from my dealer and service my bikes there. If I may use an overused phrase: "it's not the money".

Of course the product is good and of course it is offered with 5 years warranty. That is exactly why I bought it. Now, what does 5 years warranty mean? You pay for shipping both ways plus a (yes, a small) "warranty fee".

I ride for over 20 years. It is the first time that I am complaining about a product. I probably could have bought a nice used bike with what I spent on aftermarket toys. Never heard of a "warranty fee".

Still, that is not the whole story. I am not after saving a penny. I buy all my tires from my dealer and service my bikes there. If I may use an overused phrase: "it's not the money".

Of course the product is good and of course it is offered with 5 years warranty. That is exactly why I bought it. Now, what does 5 years warranty mean? You pay for shipping both ways plus a (yes, a small) "warranty fee".

I ride for over 20 years. It is the first time that I am complaining about a product. I probably could have bought a nice used bike with what I spent on aftermarket toys. Never heard of a "warranty fee".

Well, these things cost $25-$30. Consider what they cost BatteryTender to make and sell. Likely they're recouping a portion of the cost of a new unit. Why not call it a deductible? If you had to pay $8 to ship to them, they likely have pay less than that simply due to economies of scale. Even if they pay half what you did to ship ($4), it means that they are charging you $7.00 for the "warranty fee" I'm willing to bet that these little beauties don't cost them that much more to make.

So, replacement one for $19, or new one for $24+.

Seems like a deal to me..

Did you pay extra for the warranty? Did you buy it because of the warranty? How did your battery tender fail? How long have you had it?

Warranty typically is FOB factory. If you read the fine print it is your responsibility for freight costs both ways in most cases if not all. Some may return freight PPD but that is rare. I deal with warranty issues regularly and thats the way it's typically done.

I think their mistake was calling the fee a "Warranty fee". That would piss anybody off.
They should have explained it all up front and everyone would've been happy.

Hey dorongrudo:

Can I pay the $11 and have it shipped here? :laugh

Batterytender

MotorradMike

Oh, yes. Great Idea. Call them, give my name and ask for it to be shipped to your address. They can call me to verify - 832-439-7343.

It's a Win Win situation

They feel that they did their job.
You get an $11 Batterytender Jr (including shipping).
I feel morally justified at being pissed off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've already spent (lost) the $8.00 to ship your old unit to them. You won't get that back. So you choice is a) spend $11 for a new replacement from them, or b) $24 + shipping for one from eBay. If "a" then you total cost will be $19. If "b" then it will be $32 + shipping. I know what I'd do. :brow

Your calculations are correct. Following that logic I would have paid my $11.00 and never post this thread. At the danger of repeating myself: "it is not about the money".

There are so many considerations when one decide on "what shall I do now". Each person and situation are different. If lucky, we sometimes we have the luxury of deciding according to "what I think is right". In this case of the $11.00 I am that lucky and I do what I think is right.

As a matter of fact, my other BatteryTender is the bigger one with two banks. I will not need another charger till I buy my dream TW200 to play in the backyard.

???

"Warranty fee" WT&^% is that? something is warranted or it isn't.

Geez, tough crowd. Makes it sound like he's cheap 'cause he expects the warranty to be honored!

I'm with you Capt- 5 years warranty is 5 years warranty.

Sure, I expect to pay to get the unit back to square one, unless I bought it from a dealer who'll do the footwork for me. But once they have it, and it doesn't look like operator error, case (and my pocket) closed! And it's not about the $-

"It's the principle of the thing!"

The 5 year warranty wasn't his idea; it was a selling point, an added feature, tacked on to enhance the value of the item. Like other features, he paid for it, as part of the sales price.
:deal
In my book, if you warranty something for 5 years, I should pay nothing but shipping for 5 years, period. And if I have to go through the return process more often than seems appropriate for the widgit, I'd eventually balk at that, too- the downtime is putting a dent in its usefulness- send me a new one that works!
:nono

Exceptions, of course- if something he did (operator error) caused the failure, and they explain this, that's a reasonable out. Or, if it's something like a battery and the warranty coverage is pro-rated over its expected lifetime, that's different, too. But of course, that would've been disclosed in the fine print from the start...
:violin

I wonder where they get all the 'reconditioned' chargers they send out- are those all unpaid "warranty" repairs?
:dunno

I'd be mad, too. But then I haven't had my coffee yet, and of course ymmv.

I warranty my work- and I know I couldn't look my client in the eye and ask for a "warranty fee"!

:bolt

The Battery Tender website specifically states that the $11.95 fee is for evaluation/shipping/handling to send the new/refurb unit.

What they (likely) want is for the buyer to return the defective unit to the dealer that they originally bought it from, and have the dealer handle the warranty process/shipping from there through the normal channels.

The one time I had a problem with one (out of more than a dozen I own) I did it that way and there was no cost to me for replacement. zero. nada. zilch.

If the Battery Tender was originally bought off the internet or some such, dealer help isn't an option on this one--little or no customer service is always the risk one takes when buying online. Ya pays yer $$ and takes yer chances.

Seems to me that the Battery Tender company is doing exactly what they said they would do in a warranty situation when the BT was sent to them.

Warranty info on their website: http://tiny.cc/IqJ8y

I've only had 1 experience with these folks and it was great.After several years of using their BT,I realized I needed a connector that I believe was not included with the unit.I asked the price including shipping and the response was,"no problem,we'll send it out to you,no cost.It was there in less than 48 hours.I gave it to a friend and now use an Optimate.YMMV

Back