• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mountainia ride-2-Q

spoke to some of the participants and they are searching near by hotels. The closest found were in Wilkesboro about 10 miles from HCMC

am i correct or are there any closer

Wade:eat

spoke to some of the participants and they are searching near by hotels. The closest found were in Wilkesboro about 10 miles from HCMC

am i correct or are there any closer

Wade:eat

wilkesboro is the nearest option.

there are some sweet B&Bs up in blowing rock, but the fastest way there is on gravel roads.

ian

Probably we should meet at HCCC so the campers can unload for the ride.

if all goes as planned, i plan to arrive on friday evening.

if we want q for lunch and dinner, we will have to blow out of the campground fairly early.

logistically, i don't know if that's possible for folks.... so we'll just have to play it by ear.

ian

if all goes as planned, i plan to arrive on friday evening.

if we want q for lunch and dinner, we will have to blow out of the campground fairly early.

logistically, i don't know if that's possible for folks.... so we'll just have to play it by ear.

ian

Just looked, over 600 miles one way...............

But, you are making it sound like a lot of fun. :eat

Just looked, over 600 miles one way...............

But, you are making it sound like a lot of fun. :eat

start out friday morning, it's a great ride there from where you live... a practice run for the national this summer. :ha

see you there!

ian

Ok so the route is set ? The eateries are decided upon ? The date is definately set. So now,

what time do we meet ? where exactly do we meet ? and what is the tentative plans for each of our destinations?

Wade

Ok so the route is set ? The eateries are decided upon ? The date is definately set. So now,

what time do we meet ? where exactly do we meet ? and what is the tentative plans for each of our destinations?

you remind me of the guy who i rode to alaska with. :ha

he had a spreadsheet for *everything*.... drove me nuts.

i am nowhere near that anal, or organized.... hence the title of my column, "always an adventure"

once we pot things, i'll post more.

but afaic, this is going to be a play it by ear event. if you're looking for engraved invitations and a schedule of events, printed maps and detailed directions, ummmm......

for right now, be at the high country motorcycle campground nlt 10am on saturday, 4/18 because if we are going to be able to ride anywhere good for lunch, we better be rolling no later than then.

it would be better to get there the night before and camp.

and it goes without saying: be full of gas and empty of bladder.

I'll be there guys, just let us know where we're meeting. :dance

hi, glad you're planning to come. read back through this thread and find the links to the campground.

there are also some gps routes posted that have a waypoint for the place.

ian

you remind me of the guy who i rode to alaska with. :ha

he had a spreadsheet for *everything*.... drove me nuts.

i am nowhere near that anal, or organized.... hence the title of my column, "always an adventure"

once we pot things, i'll post more.

but afaic, this is going to be a play it by ear event. if you're looking for engraved invitations and a schedule of events, printed maps and detailed directions, ummmm......

for right now, be at the high country motorcycle campground nlt 10am on saturday, 4/18 because if we are going to be able to ride anywhere good for lunch, we better be rolling no later than then.

it would be better to get there the night before and camp.

and it goes without saying: be full of gas and empty of bladder.

Of course, gotta have

spread sheet of all participants ie: name, age, bike (make, model, color, mileage, how stored, and all previous two years maitenance records) first born(first, middle, and last names) wife or significant other name, state, and date of birth.

destinations: overall restaurant ratings, have they ever had a visit from Chef Ramsey, if so what did he find in their walk in, miles and kilometers to their door, and distance of possible wrong turns (IAN) , where their meat comes from and if they smoke it what brand of charcoal is used (I prefer Kingsford)

etc etc etc

are you kiddin I don't care just want to know what time to be there and where we are going, I dont care if we get lost or found. LMAO

Wade

I plan on arriving at the campground Friday afternoon. That way I can get settled in and watch and take pics as others arrive. :lurk

Here are my plans,

For anyone wanting to ride up together from the Charlotte area.

i'm riding a 2001 BMW R1100R Black

I will be at the Dunkin Donuts at exit 33 off I-77 , leaving from there no later than 7:30am Saturday morning April 18th.
(exit 33 left (west) first light Dunkin is on left across from BP Gas station

next

Will rendezvous at the old Extreme Motorcycle location on Hwy 321 in Hickory just north of I-40 will be leaving there no later than 8:30 am and heading to High Country Motorcycle Camp to meet the group.

Wade my contact # is 504-236-3067 cell :dance :brad

I talked to the owner of the campground today, ( Brent ) great guy. He's got quite a few Beemers. He's excited about us coming to his place.
Kenny...

I talked to the owner of the campground today, ( Brent ) great guy. He's got quite a few Beemers. He's excited about us coming to his place.
Kenny...

yes, this is a very bmw-friendly place.

for years, this place was owned by turkey tom, who was an early afficianado of the GS, and formed the GS International Club (now dormant, needs to be rekindled).

tom used to put on a GREAT fall rally for GS riders... everyone got lost! :thumb (these were the days before GPS)

the airheads hold "the gathering of the clans" there every year... quite an event.

i've not me brent, but when i talked with him on the phone he sounded like he is working hard to make the campground a success.

he offered to have breakfast brought in on sunday morning if we can commit to a decent number of people ahead of time.

ian

yes, this is a very bmw-friendly place.

for years, this place was owned by turkey tom, who was an early afficianado of the GS, and formed the GS International Club (now dormant, needs to be rekindled).

tom used to put on a GREAT fall rally for GS riders... everyone got lost! :thumb (these were the days before GPS)

the airheads hold "the gathering of the clans" there every year... quite an event.

i've not me brent, but when i talked with him on the phone he sounded like he is working hard to make the campground a success.

he offered to have breakfast brought in on sunday morning if we can commit to a decent number of people ahead of time.

ian

Yummmmmmmmm Biscuits and gravy???? Riders gotta eat, eaters gotta ride. :laugh

Back