• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mountainia ride-2-Q

cannot open the file, not sure what .gdb is

also check out this thread http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32566

Wade

it's a mapsource file. if you can't open it, i can post a screen capture. i was thinking about putting this on google maps, too.... but i can't figure out how to put that into my garmin gps.

yes, that thread was one of those that got the idea started. the only issue was that these are all in-town.

the Q gets better as the roads improve. :nod

cannot open the file, not sure what .gdb isWade

.gdb is a Garmin Data Base file. You can view it in Mapsource.

I've mentioned it to the Upstate SC BMW club...not certain if there any other takers...other than myself ;)

Well since I use Magellen I don't have Mapsource, any way of converting to another type file.

Wade

Well since I use Magellen I don't have Mapsource, any way of converting to another type file.

Wade

someone *always* has to be different! :ha

try this one, it's a .gpx file, designed for exchanging between different mapping software.

ian

Attachments

• Ride_2Q_day1_exchange.zip
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
Ok finally got it, thanks for the patience.

Looks good to me, can't wait.

what's next in the planning stage?

Wade

what's next in the planning stage?

finding Windy Hill BBQ in Sparta, NC.

from DaveSlash5, this place sounds perfect:

If you are on the Blue Ridge Parkway or HWY 221 near Sparta, NC (close to the NC/VA border) and love BBQ try the Windy Hill Bar-B-Que on HWY 21 between Sparta and the BRP. This is a little trailer in a parking lot of a produce stand, and these folks produce some of the best BBQ in that part of NC. They do the smoking at their house and many of their side dishes come from their garden when in season. Think French Fries from potatos that were dug up on that morning! The owners were trained under a CIA (Culinary Instute of America) chef, so they know their stuff. The owner, Steve, is also an Airhead guy; Tell'em Dave sent you!

i've got an em in to Dave, hoping to find out something about these guys.

anyone know about em?

ian

ps => as far as planning goes, you need to know that there is a reason my BMW ON column is called "always an adventure." iow, there ain't gonna be no engraved invitations! and a map is highly unlikely. we will have to turn around at least once because the road turns to gravel. that is, unless you don't mind gravel. :ha

I'm certainly game for all that, when I used to ride with my Harley buddies I was known lovingly as "wrong way wade" haha.

anyway after a call to the Alleghany Chamber I came up with this

Windy Hill BBQ
336-572-2288 owner Steve ( just got off the phone with him and he's excited about the group coming in)

US Hwy 21
Hawks Produce Lane
Sparta, NC.

Steve said there is no street number

Hope this helps

Wade

I'm certainly game for all that, when I used to ride with my Harley buddies I was known lovingly as "wrong way wade" haha.

anyway after a call to the Alleghany Chamber I came up with this

Windy Hill BBQ
336-572-2288 owner Steve ( just got off the phone with him and he's excited about the group coming in)

US Hwy 21
Hawks Produce Lane
Sparta, NC.

Steve said there is no street number

Hope this helps

i caught up with daveslash5 and got additional information. the phone number he gave me was different, but it sounds like yours worked, too.

it's between the BRP and Sparta, 6 miles west of the BRP, 2 miles east of Sparta. So we won't have a waypoint, but i am sure we can find it.

as the time gets closer, i'll probably give him a shout again to remind him, and give him a sense of how many people are coming.

:eat

Visian,
OOPS!!! I screwed up and transposed the last four digits from the next number on my list. The number in the previous message is the correct one. Sorry....

:brad :thumb :dance

I'm ready to ride !!!!!!! oh and half the adventure is turning around. Am I right Ian?

LMAO

Wade

I'm ready to ride !!!!!!! oh and half the adventure is turning around. Am I right Ian?

:ha

in the immortal words of turkey tom, former owner of high country cycle camp, maker of fiendishly difficult dual sport rides in the days before gps:

if you don't get lost, you're not doing it right!

Good Morning Ian

So is this route / time / schedule set in stone? Need some firm plans, how about HCMC is that arranged. Let me know if you need me to do anything

Is beer aloud at HCMC or is there a local watering hole :drink

Wade

Good Morning Ian

So is this route / time / schedule set in stone? Need some firm plans, how about HCMC is that arranged. Let me know if you need me to do anything

Is beer aloud at HCMC or is there a local watering hole :drink

the date is set. the location is still open, if anyone wants to do something different.

i am looking for comments on the route. at 370 miles of nearly pure twisties, i think it might be too long for most people. i will probably refine it, and ultimately play it by ear, depending on when people show, when we can take off on saturday, etc.

like i said, i am not the time of event organizer that sends engraved invitations, or even has printed maps. no t-shirts, either! :p

above i mentioned that i've talked to the new owner of HCCC... he will be open.

you must not have been there before, so, do visit their web site, it's linked behind the name.

do not try to find this place for the first time at night. (although the waypoint they provide on the site will make this much easier).

it's fairly remote, a pretty long run to the store. you would be best to bring it along with you.

turkey tom used to allow beer (and pot, if you were discrete)... but i don't know about the new owners.

the date is set. the location is still open, if anyone wants to do something different.

i am looking for comments on the route. at 370 miles of nearly pure twisties, i think it might be too long for most people. i will probably refine it, and ultimately play it by ear, depending on when people show, when we can take off on saturday, etc.

If you factor in time to eat gas etc. we are looking at about 12 hrs of riding.

A couple factors from reading other things. From reading and talking to friends Ridgewood can be hard to get in to. In the evening they will tell you sorry you won't make it in, go somewhere else. Would the Windy Hill guy consider bringing His Q to the camp for dinner. :dunno

Here are a couple route files broken down into segments

Attachments

• BBQ2.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 3
If you factor in time to eat gas etc. we are looking at about 12 hrs of riding.

you haven't ridden with me, have you? :evil

for sure, it's too long, especially if there are a lot of people. that's like herding cats.

A couple factors from reading other things. From reading and talking to friends Ridgewood can be hard to get in to. In the evening they will tell you sorry you won't make it in, go somewhere else.

yeah, that's why i thought them for lunch... and it would help if we got there either early, or had a late lunch.

you have some good routes to that place. a direct shot over there via 421 would be pretty fast and get in some primo twisties.

Would the Windy Hill guy consider bringing His Q to the camp for dinner. :dunno

good ideer. it's 60 miles and it would depend on how many people we got coming.

the owner rides airheads, so you never know. i will ask when i contact him.

Ok so what is the next step.

where would be the best central meeting place, or should be all meet at the route beginning?

:scratch

Back