Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountainia ride-2-Q

Cool, but all of these are near the rally cite,

are we going to visit each one and just ride around for a few hours until we are hungry again or should we explore the state and do some real riding from one destination to another.

I have no problem with eating near the rally cite but I dont think all three places should be in the same area

i'd like to spread hte ride out instead of 3 places near the rally

there are lots of incredible roads near Johnson City but also some incredible roads in Surry Ct. Pilot Mt area, the Highlands etc

imput please ?

Wade
    I love em cause Dueces are Wild !!!!!! My 2001 R1100RL

"There is no honor in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent"

Quote Originally Posted by 308nut View Post
    are we going to visit each one and just ride around for a few hours until we are hungry again or should we explore the state and do some real riding from one destination to another.
    we've got a day, essentially.

i could plot you a route from highlands to johnson city that would take you two days to ride, three if you want to ride gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by wade
    I have no problem with eating near the rally cite but I dont think all three places should be in the same area

i'd like to spread hte ride out instead of 3 places near the rally

there are lots of incredible roads near Johnson City but also some incredible roads in Surry Ct. Pilot Mt area, the Highlands etc

imput please ?
    it depends on what kind of riding we all want to do. as noted above, there are tons of really good, but small and out of the way, roads to ride in the area. one could literally spend days puttering around. for instance, get out a detailed map and check out nc194 or nc197. dem are some sweet rides! and those are *state* highways, there are many other little local roads branching off those that are amazing.

or... one could cover more ground taking roads like us19, us23, us64, us421, us321etc... parts of which feature really nice sweepers through mountain passes, and get you to a number of smaller spots quickly.

personally, i am totally open to what the group wants to do, so let's firm that up first.

oh... an update. just spoke with the wife of the owner of high country cycle camp and will speak with the owner later today. they spend the off season out in kitty hawk, and believe they'll be open by april 18-19. if 30-40 people plan to show up, they'll *definitely* be open.

blue ridge motorcycle camp is another option. they'll definitely be open that weekend.

i have no idea what this event will turn out to be, but it's fun to watch it build.

everyone, please chime in.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

sounds great,

I elect to appoint Visian as rally chair, planner and plotter.

I am not that familiar with the roads in that area so am open to what you put together, I just want to ride and not see the same tractor on the road side 6 times. Any help you need from me just ask I'll do all I can.

I I'll leave it up to you, are we definate on April 18-19 I need to give the local group the heads up

Wade

wade - what local group are you thinking?

whoever comes, it'll be great to have them.

count on 4/18-19, but I need to firmly lock down high country. if they're not Tina be open, it'll be brmc, as they are open for sure.

ian

Cool, but all of these are near the rally cite,

Wade
    No not all there are 9 marked Q places on the map. If you know more GOOD places please mark them and repost the file. I'd love to have them in my GPS.

Lets see riding down the road and bing lunch time

We are about an hour and a half ride from either camp so no problem there. Go to BRMC all the time never been to High Country. Getting hungry thinking about it.

Cool , well lets get this together, I'm looking forward to an exciting ride and who knows this could turn into an annual ride. The Q is very powerful.

Wade

I spoke with Buzzard Brent of High Country Motorcycle Camp.

they'll be open for the weekend we're planning on.

it's been years since i've been there, but it's worth giving it a chance. it's not the world's poshest place, so if there are other ideas, i certainly am

let's try to get a potential count, as there is no food service at the campground, but they'll bring in some breakfast for sunday morning if there's enough people to warrant.

ian

I have gotten very good feedback from our local club, have 5-10 committed. I am sure more will come on board as we get closer.

Wade

Trial Balloon

ok, spent a little of lunchtime to map out a potential ride.

imo, this will be too long for a larger group.... but, i thought i'd share to at least get people's reactions to the type of riding.

this loop is 370 miles long. don't sound like much until you look at it on the map.

it's mostly twisties, and lots of good'ns!

i will assure you that if we get going by 10am, we'll be doing good to be done by dark. and you will be flat wore out!

lunch at ridgewoods, dinner at windy hill (in sparta, nc). still trying to find out exactly where windy hill is... it was recommended by DaveSlash5, and the place is owned by an airhead rider.

what do you all think about a ride like this?

ian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

cannot open the file, not sure what .gdb is

also check out this thread http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32566

Wade

cannot open the file, not sure what .gdb is

also check out this thread http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32566

Wade
    it's a mapsource file. if you can't open it, i can post a screen capture. i was thinking about putting this on google maps, too.... but i can't figure out how to put that into my garmin gps.

yes, that thread was one of those that got the idea started. the only issue was that these are all in-town.

the Q gets better as the roads improve.

are12c
    cannot open the file, not sure what .gdb isWade
    .gdb is a Garmin Data Base file. You can view it in Mapsource.

I've mentioned it to the Upstate SC BMW club...not certain if there any other takers...other than myself

Well since I use Magellen I don't have Mapsource, any way of converting to another type file.

Wade

Well since I use Magellen I don't have Mapsource, any way of converting to another type file.

Wade
    someone *always* has to be different!

try this one, it's a .gpx file, designed for exchanging between different mapping software.

ian
    Attached Files Attached Files