• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mountainia ride-2-Q

Ok did some research and visited the North Carolina BBQ Society and this is what I have put together. If all agree I will plan the trip and mark out some incredible roads for our travels.

wade - oops, we had a bit of a disconnect.

i made this post about the BBQ society earlier, and had already suggested some destinations that are more north of asheville, and nearer to the rally.

then later, i suggested high country cycle camp. (still trying to find out if they're open... but there are other good spots in the area)

i was thinkin' that we'd do a little report about some of the bbq that's nearby the rally. we've received some good recommendations in that area.

but, i am totally flexible to whatever the group wants to do. the ride you've outlined is a good one and i'll leave it up to the mountainia hillibillies to decide.

and i could use the support on the ride planning. :nod

ian

Sounds good, just wish we could get some more feedback as to when and planning, who has suggestions etc. We need to get this moving. I have the support of our local BMW Club that will attend as well. We could feasibly have 20-40 riders. just need to get the plan moving.

Wade

wade - oops, we had a bit of a disconnect.

i made this post about the BBQ society earlier, and had already suggested some destinations that are more north of asheville, and nearer to the rally.

then later, i suggested high country cycle camp. (still trying to find out if they're open... but there are other good spots in the area)

i was thinkin' that we'd do a little report about some of the bbq that's nearby the rally. we've received some good recommendations in that area.

but, i am totally flexible to whatever the group wants to do. the ride you've outlined is a good one and i'll leave it up to the mountainia hillibillies to decide.

ian

ian

That was kind of what I thought the idea was also. But good Q is good Q. Closer for us to head to the Lake Lure area but then we wouldn't find any new roads:brad

:dunno

Sounds good, just wish we could get some more feedback as to when and planning, who has suggestions etc.

i mis-linked in the previous post, but this post here on page 1 of this thread that states this information.

here's the post about bbq nearby johnson city.... i've heard the Ridgewood place mentioned by several locals in the know.

i know, forums suck for clarity.

the issue at this point is whether High Country Cycle Camp is open (still trying to find that out). a backup spot is Rocky Bluff which is near Hot Springs, NC. And if looks like 40 people are going to show (what club are we talking about...?), there's a spot in Hot Springs that's a commercial campground, but it does feature a beer store... the only one in the area. :evil

personally, i am open to all ideas.

but yes, let's firm it up... all details to date should now be known by all.

:ear

ian

well, instead of links... to be clear:

Proposed:

Dates: April 18-19

Place: High Country Cycle Camp (if open) or Hot Springs area, if not.

Plan:

Saturday
- Set up camp on saturday morning. for those who can't make it then, should be no problem setting up camp that evening.

- Ride to lunch
- Ride
- Ride to dinner
- Camp

Sunday
- Ride to lunch
- head home

i am definitely open to different camping locations (always good to learn about new spots) different areas, etc.

also completely open to restaurants.

ian

I tried getting in touch with High Country as well but to no avail. I did contact Riders Roost and they open April 10 and are taking reservations now.

Wade

well seems to be lots of choices in that area, I'd personally like to spread out the trip but whatever the masses want. I would like to get something planned soon so we know what we're doing.

who's in ?

who's going to spearhead the map?

lets go rideeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wade

Tri Cities

Just faxed a note to 3 friends in the Tri Cities. One in Johnson City, 1 Kingsport and 1 in Bristol, asking for BBQ recomendations. I'll keep the group posted on what I get back.

Thinking that if all 3 say one place that might be somewhere that we will want on our list.

Local Information is usually a good thing.

Being new to the region, I'm cool with whatever youse guys cook up. Got that weekend marked on my calendar.

Mapsource File

Got good info from friends

#1 Ridgewood for sure

Dixie BBQ, Pardners and Firehouse all rate as good.

Red pig got mixed reviews.

Attached a mapsource file with locations

Attachments

• BBQ.zip
    584 bytes · Views: 8
Cool, but all of these are near the rally cite,

are we going to visit each one and just ride around for a few hours until we are hungry again or should we explore the state and do some real riding from one destination to another.

I have no problem with eating near the rally cite but I dont think all three places should be in the same area

i'd like to spread hte ride out instead of 3 places near the rally

there are lots of incredible roads near Johnson City but also some incredible roads in Surry Ct. Pilot Mt area, the Highlands etc

imput please ?

Wade

are we going to visit each one and just ride around for a few hours until we are hungry again or should we explore the state and do some real riding from one destination to another.

we've got a day, essentially.

i could plot you a route from highlands to johnson city that would take you two days to ride, three if you want to ride gravel. :nod

wade said:
I have no problem with eating near the rally cite but I dont think all three places should be in the same area

i'd like to spread hte ride out instead of 3 places near the rally

there are lots of incredible roads near Johnson City but also some incredible roads in Surry Ct. Pilot Mt area, the Highlands etc

imput please ?

it depends on what kind of riding we all want to do. as noted above, there are tons of really good, but small and out of the way, roads to ride in the area. one could literally spend days puttering around. for instance, get out a detailed map and check out nc194 or nc197. dem are some sweet rides! and those are *state* highways, there are many other little local roads branching off those that are amazing.

or... one could cover more ground taking roads like us19, us23, us64, us421, us321etc... parts of which feature really nice sweepers through mountain passes, and get you to a number of smaller spots quickly.

personally, i am totally open to what the group wants to do, so let's firm that up first.

oh... an update. just spoke with the wife of the owner of high country cycle camp and will speak with the owner later today. they spend the off season out in kitty hawk, and believe they'll be open by april 18-19. if 30-40 people plan to show up, they'll *definitely* be open.

blue ridge motorcycle camp is another option. they'll definitely be open that weekend.

i have no idea what this event will turn out to be, but it's fun to watch it build. :thumb

everyone, please chime in.

ian

sounds great,

I elect to appoint Visian as rally chair, planner and plotter.

I am not that familiar with the roads in that area so am open to what you put together, I just want to ride and not see the same tractor on the road side 6 times. Any help you need from me just ask I'll do all I can.

I I'll leave it up to you, are we definate on April 18-19 I need to give the local group the heads up

Wade

wade - what local group are you thinking?

whoever comes, it'll be great to have them.

count on 4/18-19, but I need to firmly lock down high country. if they're not Tina be open, it'll be brmc, as they are open for sure.

ian

Cool, but all of these are near the rally cite,

Wade

No not all there are 9 marked Q places on the map. If you know more GOOD places please mark them and repost the file. I'd love to have them in my GPS.

Lets see riding down the road and bing lunch time :thumb

We are about an hour and a half ride from either camp so no problem there. Go to BRMC all the time never been to High Country. Getting hungry thinking about it. :whistle

Cool , well lets get this together, I'm looking forward to an exciting ride and who knows this could turn into an annual ride. The Q is very powerful.

Wade

I spoke with Buzzard Brent of High Country Motorcycle Camp.

they'll be open for the weekend we're planning on.

it's been years since i've been there, but it's worth giving it a chance. it's not the world's poshest place, so if there are other ideas, i certainly am :ear

let's try to get a potential count, as there is no food service at the campground, but they'll bring in some breakfast for sunday morning if there's enough people to warrant.

ian

I have gotten very good feedback from our local club, have 5-10 committed. I am sure more will come on board as we get closer.

Wade

Trial Balloon

ok, spent a little of lunchtime to map out a potential ride.

imo, this will be too long for a larger group.... but, i thought i'd share to at least get people's reactions to the type of riding.

this loop is 370 miles long. don't sound like much until you look at it on the map.

it's mostly twisties, and lots of good'ns! :nod

i will assure you that if we get going by 10am, we'll be doing good to be done by dark. and you will be flat wore out!

lunch at ridgewoods, dinner at windy hill (in sparta, nc). still trying to find out exactly where windy hill is... it was recommended by DaveSlash5, and the place is owned by an airhead rider.

what do you all think about a ride like this?

ian

Attachments

• Ride_2Q_day1.zip
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
Back