Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountainia ride-2-Q

If I don't find a job by then, I can get there anytime.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

are12c
    I'm in.

So we makin some definate plans here. Lets narrow down some options

Wade
    I love em cause Dueces are Wild !!!!!! My 2001 R1100RL

"There is no honor in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent"

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    in deference to scbmwrider, and acknowledging that it can still be danged cold in march, let's shoot for april 18-19

the thought is to meet at a campground for a late saturday morning departure to a bbq spot for lunch... then a ride... then bbq for dinner, then camp.

i'm thinking high country cycle camp... i haven't been there in a long time!

is it possible for folks to get there before noon?

the other alternative is a spot i know near hot springs.

ian
    Like the date. Haven't been to high country yet and have wanted to go. WIll they be open in April??

Should be about a 3 hr ride for us...Need to pick out some places to eat.

Check out this article Washington Post

Ok did some research and visited the North Carolina BBQ Society and this is what I have put together. If all agree I will plan the trip and mark out some incredible roads for our travels.

Leave Saturday Morning from the Mooresville Area around 9am ish.

Head West through Shelby, Lake Lure into Arden for our lunch stop at
    12Bones BBQ

We leave Arden and travel south to HWY 64 through the Highlands and into Cherokkee ending up in Murphy NC about a 3-4 hour ride to Herb's Pit BBQ

we spend the night in Cherokkee,

Leave Sunday morning out of Cherokkee through the north west portion of the state BLP and some other great roads we head 240 miles east to Mocksville for lunch at Deano's BBQ after that we head home.

I will contact each establishment and let them know we are coming and hopefully they will have some special accomodations for us.

So what do you think

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by 308nut View Post
    Ok did some research and visited the North Carolina BBQ Society and this is what I have put together. If all agree I will plan the trip and mark out some incredible roads for our travels.
    wade - oops, we had a bit of a disconnect.

i made this post about the BBQ society earlier, and had already suggested some destinations that are more north of asheville, and nearer to the rally.

then later, i suggested high country cycle camp. (still trying to find out if they're open... but there are other good spots in the area)

i was thinkin' that we'd do a little report about some of the bbq that's nearby the rally. we've received some good recommendations in that area.

but, i am totally flexible to whatever the group wants to do. the ride you've outlined is a good one and i'll leave it up to the mountainia hillibillies to decide.

and i could use the support on the ride planning.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Sounds good, just wish we could get some more feedback as to when and planning, who has suggestions etc. We need to get this moving. I have the support of our local BMW Club that will attend as well. We could feasibly have 20-40 riders. just need to get the plan moving.

Wade

wade - oops, we had a bit of a disconnect.

i made this post about the BBQ society earlier, and had already suggested some destinations that are more north of asheville, and nearer to the rally.

then later, i suggested high country cycle camp. (still trying to find out if they're open... but there are other good spots in the area)

i was thinkin' that we'd do a little report about some of the bbq that's nearby the rally. we've received some good recommendations in that area.

but, i am totally flexible to whatever the group wants to do. the ride you've outlined is a good one and i'll leave it up to the mountainia hillibillies to decide.

ian

ian
    That was kind of what I thought the idea was also. But good Q is good Q. Closer for us to head to the Lake Lure area but then we wouldn't find any new roads

Quote Originally Posted by 308nut View Post
    Sounds good, just wish we could get some more feedback as to when and planning, who has suggestions etc.
    i mis-linked in the previous post, but this post here on page 1 of this thread that states this information.

here's the post about bbq nearby johnson city.... i've heard the Ridgewood place mentioned by several locals in the know.

i know, forums suck for clarity.

the issue at this point is whether High Country Cycle Camp is open (still trying to find that out). a backup spot is Rocky Bluff which is near Hot Springs, NC. And if looks like 40 people are going to show (what club are we talking about...?), there's a spot in Hot Springs that's a commercial campground, but it does feature a beer store... the only one in the area.

personally, i am open to all ideas.

but yes, let's firm it up... all details to date should now be known by all.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

well, instead of links... to be clear:

Proposed:

Dates: April 18-19

Place: High Country Cycle Camp (if open) or Hot Springs area, if not.

Plan:

Saturday
    - Set up camp on saturday morning. for those who can't make it then, should be no problem setting up camp that evening.

- Ride to lunch
    - Ride
    - Ride to dinner
    - Camp

Sunday
    - Ride to lunch
    - head home

i am definitely open to different camping locations (always good to learn about new spots) different areas, etc.

also completely open to restaurants.

ian

I tried getting in touch with High Country as well but to no avail. I did contact Riders Roost and they open April 10 and are taking reservations now.

Wade

well seems to be lots of choices in that area, I'd personally like to spread out the trip but whatever the masses want. I would like to get something planned soon so we know what we're doing.

who's in ?

who's going to spearhead the map?

lets go rideeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wade

Tri Cities

Just faxed a note to 3 friends in the Tri Cities. One in Johnson City, 1 Kingsport and 1 in Bristol, asking for BBQ recomendations. I'll keep the group posted on what I get back.

Thinking that if all 3 say one place that might be somewhere that we will want on our list.

Local Information is usually a good thing.

Being new to the region, I'm cool with whatever youse guys cook up. Got that weekend marked on my calendar.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Mapsource File

Got good info from friends

#1 Ridgewood for sure

Dixie BBQ, Pardners and Firehouse all rate as good.

Red pig got mixed reviews.

Attached a mapsource file with locations
    Attached Files Attached Files