• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bikers miffed at Snohomish's $30K event fee -Puget Sound

montana

"Cross the line" is pretty vague. There was a proposed equipment ordinance in MT to outlaw handlebars over 15" above the seat. I measured my stock BMW bars and it exceeded this, plus I pointed out this setup might be required; it really depends on the conformation of the rider.

"Cross the line" is pretty vague. There was a proposed equipment ordinance in MT to outlaw handlebars over 15" above the seat. I measured my stock BMW bars and it exceeded this, plus I pointed out this setup might be required; it really depends on the conformation of the rider.

Agreed that "cross the line" is vague, but the cops could start by at least enforcing the laws already on the books - laws against excessively loud exhausts, illegal equipment, improper helmets, burned out turn signals, absence of horns, etc.. Nickle and dime them with traffic regulations and pretty soon they'll stop showing up.

laws & bikes

The police hava a darn tough job as it is.

I REALLY don't know how they keep up. I try not to add to the mix, sometimres I can't help myself though. So's when I get stopped, it's usually deserved and I really don't mind the banter. Big plus is I usually learn something too. Somtimes I get a pass, sometimes not.
The police just can't enforce all the equipment violations on bikes.

I help out. I live in a suburb of the HD nirvanna. So, when there's an FNG to HD running straight pipes on a summer night round the hood, I drop the local PO sargent an e-mail to let him know about it.
He's a good guy and responds when he can. I may see & hear the FNG a while longer, but eventually it stops.
Of course, just like flippin bunnies, more soon replace the lost, so I just keep on e-mailing & calling the nice sargent.

That's a mess out there with upping the fee's, but what are the locals supposed to do?

I don't see the problem with the organizers of any event paying the full cost to the community that their event entails. If you draw a rowdy crowd that requires a great deal of law enforcement presence, then you buy the officer's time. If you draw a bunch of tea totalers then you don't.

ASIDE: Hey, that Indian has Hossack forks, doesn't it?

Snohomish Backfire

I'd be happy to hang out with all the "biker scum" in Sultan instead. Snohomish is cutting thier own throat with this decision. I've won two trophies for my pair of BMW's there in the past and although it's a HD fest, some of the best M/C's in the NW show up there. And all with money to spend. Everyone behaves and there's nothing to justify the new fee. Yes the pipes are loud and the bikers are a little scary, but that's why 1/2 of us go! This will be a boom for Sultan and a ban for Snohomish. See you there!

In central Texas, there is an annual vintage bike rally. I've been to the last two. It's a small rally - around 1,000 people. The first year I went, a San Antonio gang was causing a lot of ruckus - loud, drunken, some stupid dangerous stuff; all without regard to the "regular folk" who were there.

I talked with the rally organizer about it and he promised improvements.

The FAQ for the 2008 rally spelled out unacceptable behavior and its consequences.

The San Antonio gang showed up again. They lined their bikes up better than any cops, made a neat camp, kept to themselves and refrained from all the obnoxious behavior that made them famous in 2007.

As far as I could see, we had zero cops on duty both years. Of course, here in Texas, more people are armed. :nra

Dunno. With govt's hurting, I think it's open season on anyone that wants to host an event that requires extra anything.

Yeah... But that is a double edged sword...
It also brings in revenue.
Creates a few jobs too, even if temporary.

Agreed. I bet they come begging next year when they realize that $30K cost them $100K. Whether increased hotel taxes or the money lost by local businesses.

But it is was it is. If a city doesn't have the $30K to pay OT, they need to get it from some where and I'm sure the citizenry is tired of footing the bill.

Back