• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shameless Trolling - For Touring Tips

A clarification please

Nov 2009 issue BMWON pg 116, Mark Renew states

"When camping, I include a light weight tarpaulin (fly sheet) and a segmented alloy pole (the length of the tent pole segments). It will make life 100 0/0 more comfortable in the rain, and will serve as an emergency shelter."

I may be slow or the paragraph edited but for the life of me I cannot guess exactly what he does with a tarpaulin and one tent pole that is so helpful.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Darn I went back and tried to find the original file I sent to Vince and cannot find that. It does seem something is missing.

Maybe Mark Renew will drop by and set the tent up right!

I'm Stumped Also

Nov 2009 issue BMWON pg 116, Mark Renew states

"When camping, I include a light weight tarpaulin (fly sheet) and a segmented alloy pole (the length of the tent pole segments). It will make life 100 0/0 more comfortable in the rain, and will serve as an emergency shelter."

I may be slow or the paragraph edited but for the life of me I cannot guess exactly what he does with a tarpaulin and one tent pole that is so helpful.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

For the life of me, I can't figure it out either. I've even looked at various camping sites, but no luck.:dunno

must haves for my travel...

+1 on the nitrile gloves, at least three pair tucked inside one glove
+1 on carabiners, zip ties in a contrasting color to the bike so that they are visible. zip ties which match your clothing color can be useful if a zipper pull breaks off; loop the tie through the zipper head
Bring a second helmet liner so one can be washed and drying while wearing the other
+1 on a second key
Suggest a 3 oz plastic bottle (the type used in hair color packages) filled with oil - will bring your oil level up nicely - zip lock bag it, of course
Place reflective tape on both sides of panniers or bike itself, plus underside of panniers should you find your bike on its side at night
Headlamp versus flashlight if you're travelling light and wish to keep your hands free - this has saved me great challenge numerous times

I appreciate the other tips, but haven't finished reading them all. My apologies if I duplicate something already posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
goodjob.jpg

Good Job - LCBIKEMAN.

Snow has returned to the Northeast. Looks like I can spent more time at computer with Touring Tips. Raking leaves and getting ready for winter is like shoveling sand against the tide. ;)

Hey Folks, Touring Tips jar is just about empty. How about some submissions?

Last edited:
Good Morning Paul.

Throughout the year, I fold the plastic bags that our newspapers arrive in, into minuscule packages and secure them with the elastic bands that come with them. On each trip I take a group of these mini wrapped bags. Folded and wrapped they take up virtually no space.

They have many uses.
You can place a motel television remote control inside one and not be exposed to previous operators bugs. Leave the bag behind.
They pack something that is still wet.
They cover dirty shoes when packing.
Have loose items that you need to keep together? Use the newspaper bag.
These can be used as boot liners during the rain storm.
Throughout a trip, I always find uses for these small bags. The only difficulty arises when I forget to pack any and curse myself for being without some.

I always pack thick mail type elastic bands. Invariably on a trip, there are items that I need to seal in a plastic bag or keep together. These thick rubber bands are very durable and I frequently reuse them.

I never travel without zip ties and garbage bag ties. A use for either always seems to arise.

When touring, like most, I carry a duplicate set of keys. Lately, however, I have found that the inexpensive non-rubber headed ignition keys (both bikes) can be taped to the bottom of my boot insole. I can not feel the keys under the insole and if I should misplace an ignition key on a short trip where the duplicate key chain is left at home, I will not be stranded.

I have learned that when tenting at a rally or somewhere for a few days, my 3 or 4 man tents are handy for spreading out ones "stuff". However, the next time I travel where I will be putting the tent up for just one night and then moving on, my 2 person tent is much quicker to put up and take down.

My camelpak two litre bag is kept refilled with ice from either a motel ice machine or one at MacDonald's (after I treat myself to an ice cream cone). In either case, the ice cold water is free and will stay cold for several hours. In the summer, regardless if I am thirsty or not, I take a few sips of water every 10 minutes to avoid dehydration. As well, when finished sipping the icy cold water, I blow back into the bag, leaving no water into the tube to become hot from being exposed to the sun.When in remote areas, I will also take a 1 litre bag for when the 2 litre runs out in the middle of nowhere.

I pack one sturdy 12 ounce plastic water bottle with a tight sealing cap. This I fill with oil for the bike, seal it in a ziplock bag and place it in the tail compartment of the bike. If I should need oil (haven't yet), I have some with me that doesn't take up as much room as a full quart bottle.

When tenting and sleeping in noisy surroundings, earplugs can make the night's sleep much more pleasant. Fortunately I always pack many pairs of earplugs.

Before leaving on a tour, I pack and repack. Everything has its place. If everything fits but there is no empty space in the pannier, I start eliminating items. A bag packed full at home, somehow becomes almost impossible to close when on the trip. Hence, the need for some free space before leaving.

I use a gigantic carabiner (easier to use than the typical small ones) from a lumber yard. It is stored in the top box. When leaving the bike for a short time, this carabiner goes through the helmet's D ring and secures the helmet to the luggage rack or through another smaller carabiner that I keep hooked onto my tent bag strapped across the back seat.

Paul,

These are just a few thoughts that come mind. Hope some are useful to you.

Paul F. Ruffell MOA 119204

For the life of me, I can't figure it out either. I've even looked at various camping sites, but no luck.:dunno

Single tent pole in the center edge grommet; then stake out the corners - not very efficient space versus tarp size, but will give some shelter. (two removed saddle bags will hold the edges up giving more room)
A better bet is to find a second tie off, such as a tree or for that matter the bikes handlebar: this plus the single pole yields an open ended pup tent. Two trees plus the pole and the bike makes a Baker tent.

I've an EMS wing tarp, Kelty makes one also. These tarps, plus poles, pack very small and due to the design are stable in windy conditions. This setup makes camp much more pleasant during rainy weather conditions

Bokrijder

Got It!!

Bokrijder,
Thanks for the explanation, IÔÇÖve seen the set up before but couldnÔÇÖt get my head around it.:clap
Thanks again

Single tent pole in the center edge grommet; then stake out the corners - not very efficient space versus tarp size, but will give some shelter. (two removed saddle bags will hold the edges up giving more room)
A better bet is to find a second tie off, such as a tree or for that matter the bikes handlebar: this plus the single pole yields an open ended pup tent. Two trees plus the pole and the bike makes a Baker tent.

I've an EMS wing tarp, Kelty makes one also. These tarps, plus poles, pack very small and due to the design are stable in windy conditions. This setup makes camp much more pleasant during rainy weather conditions

Bokrijder

santa1.gif

Good Job - Bokrijder

Thanks for the explanation. That solves a mystery here!

Sorry guys, I've been asleep at the helm.

Here's pic of a setup, but with plenty of trees for help.

fly.jpg

If there are no other elevated anchor points (only flat ground) I will put the pole in at one corner, and use a guy at the diagonal corner, some distance from the fly, on the windward side, to create the ridge. Then the two remaining corners will be pegged on shorter lengths of chord. If there are trees or poles, tie two diagonal corners up high, and set the other corners to ensure that there is adequate drainage off the sheet, otherwise it is sure to pool water and collapse.

Here is a new tip for you Paul.

Make a copy of your motorcycle registration so if you are on a trip and "misplace" one, you still have a spare some where else. Might help if you need to produce your "papers". :D

Good Tip Bud - THANK YOU!

On a recent trip overseas I made a copy in duplicate of

passport front page
driver's license
international driver's license
trip insurance
med evac

and stored the same in separate envelopes. I kept the envelopes in separate pieces of luggage. Nothing happened so maybe good luck was created.

Paul

I bring along a knit hat. My head gets cold when I take the helmet off at stops.

Lots of great info here, and the only thing I found that can be a blessing- BABY WIPES! They are multi purpose for cleaning various things...and if need be I found that they are the best solution to a bum hole that is on FIRE from the locale hotel bar food and drinks from the night before.

My Touring Tip:

A weekly pill box in a snack bag keeps it from opening in a tank bag or a saddle bag. That keeps all the pills nicely organized by day. I carry three, one for morning; one for evening; one for bedtime.

It makes remembering to take meds easy.

As a companion posting to the above, also keep a diabetic testing strip canister handy to put your daily pills in your pocket for the day. Don't have one? Ask a friend to hang on to one for you when his/hers are empty. They last for a long time and are durable. Been using them for a long time, they have a good seal and are the perfect handy size.

In addition to the foregoing, I have found keeping meds in original bottles with prescription info on them valuable, in case of questions or accusations.

Back