• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do we need a seperate forum for newer K-bikes

I am a new member and I currently have a 2007 K1200 GT
and I can say after brosing in the forum ,that it's all about GS'S , LT , RT, THE OLD K BYKE
and not much about the new k's...
I think a split make's lot of sens, and it will expand the members of moa further.
I AM SUPRISED THAT IT HAS NOT BEEN DONE ALL READY.
simprz..
Dear 147738 (Or is it "simprz"?)

I can assure you - it's being worked on, and as far as I can see - it is a done deal. Certain things (like moderator approval) has to be done before you'll see it appear, but hopefully this will move along. I have hope of seeing it the first week of March.

Hope you'll still be around.

And what would you like to be called?

Again, I would suggest putting ALL K1200s (brick and wedge) as well as the K1300s together as these newer bikes share nothing with the Klassic Ks (other than lineage).

In other words:
Separate the telelever and duolever Ks from the forked Ks.
Separate aluminum bridge framed from the tubular steel with stressed engine framed.
Separate the newer Ks supported by Pirates Lair from the antiques supported by BeemerBoneyard and E-bay.
Separate K12 and above from K11 and below.

Hopefully by having ALL K12s and 13s together it would ensure enough traffic to make the separate forum worthwhile and vibrant.

:dance :dance :dance

Last edited:
Should be one forum for the brick engines (longitudinal) and one for the transverse engines, which would be the 1200 and 1300. Classic or Klassic K for the brick, for the newer bikes, could use different things, I would say "Second Generation K"?

Gilly

Again, I would suggest putting ALL K1200s (brick and wedge) as well as the K1300s together as these newer bikes share nothing with the Klassic Ks (other than lineage).

In other words:
Separate the telelever and duolever Ks from the forked Ks.
Separate aluminum bridge framed from the tubular steel with stressed engine framed.
Separate the newer Ks supported by Pirates Lair from the antiques supported by BeemerBoneyard and E-bay.
Separate K12 and above from K11 and below.

Hopefully by having ALL K12s and 13s together it would ensure enough traffic to make the separate forum worthwhile and vibrant.

Lee - in an ideal world, we might get that. This isn't - and just getting two K forums is a bit of a challenge. EACH forum needs people to moderate it. Dunno if you noticed - there aren't lines forming offering to do the job. I received two offers of help for simply splitting the forum in two.

I think going further down in segmentation, leads us to the eventual point of where do we stop? Different model years each having their own forum? Different colors? (I know that's silly..) When you segment this finely you loose value since people will tend to ignore forums "that aren't them." Since a lot of the technology used spans years of bikes and models - having people not visit a forum because it doesn't seem like their bike means they'll never see a message/question they might have the answer to. Does Paul Glaves have time/ambition to visit multiple forums every day? Dunno - but I think he'd rather be out riding as I would.

So far in K bike world - there have been two basic engine designs. The brick and the wedgie. To me - splitting along this line seems logical. If we can make these two forums work, and find moderators and members who are interested in them - then some further segmentation might be considered if it can be shown that it would work and makes sense.

As a FWIW - I'm also a moderator on some BMW car forums - and in cases where the number of forums have been increased to give very fine distinction between models/features, there are forums that are dead, and the work of the moderator greatly increases, since they now have to move a lot of messages to the "correct" forum when members post where they "shouldn't".. We are working with finite human volunteer resources here, so that really becomes a consideration.

What I was saying IS only two forums. What I was suggesting is WHERE to split it.

But instead of dividing by shape of valve cover (brick vs wedge), divide by bikes that are virtually the same (K1, K75,K100,K1100) and bikes that aren't (K1200 and above).

The early Ks share (with very small updates or variations):
Frame
Forks
Handlebars
Switch gear
Brakes
Wheels
Wiring
Fuel system
Fuel tanks
Seats
Center and sidestands
One of two Rear suspensions
One of two final drives
Transmissions
Alternators
Starters
Taillights
Turnsignals
Basic layout and design
Almost all of these parts are interchangeable to some degree.

The K1200 bricks only share valve cover shape with the early bikes. NO parts are interchangeable with the early K-bikes. The chassis is COMPLETELY different. They are a much more modern style of bike with completely different problems, solutions and modifications.

Most inquiries to the forum have nothing to do with the shape or "positioning" of the block, but are problems with the surrounding parts and systems.

Car forums (BMW included) are usually grouped by different chassis (6 series, 5 series, 3 series) rather than which short block is in them.

If you want to make it simple for new members, what could be simpler than K1200 and above as one forum and K1100 and below as the other? You won't have to constantly be explaining to new owners the difference between a brick and a wedge to get them to the proper forum.

By putting the K12 bricks with the wedges, it might increase the size of the wedge forum to where it will be more active and have more experienced contributors helping the newer wedge owners.

Whatever is decided WILL be fine. This forum is truly a wealth of information. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
What I was saying IS only two forums. What I was suggesting is WHERE to split it.

But instead of dividing by shape of valve cover (brick vs wedge), divide by bikes that are virtually the same (K1, K75,K100,K1100) and bikes that aren't (K1200 and above).

The early Ks share (with very small updates or variations):
Frame
Forks
Handlebars
Switch gear
Brakes
Wheels
Wiring
Fuel system
Fuel tanks
Seats
Center and sidestands
One of two Rear suspensions
One of two final drives
Transmissions
Alternators
Starters
Taillights
Turnsignals
Basic layout and design
Almost all of these parts are interchangeable to some degree.

The K1200 bricks only share valve cover shape with the early bikes. NO parts are interchangeable with the early K-bikes. The chassis is COMPLETELY different. They are a much more modern style of bike with completely different problems, solutions and modifications.

Most inquiries to the forum have nothing to do with the shape or "positioning" of the block, but are problems with the surrounding parts and systems.

Car forums (BMW included) are usually grouped by different chassis (6 series, 5 series, 3 series) rather than which short block is in them.

If you want to make it simple for new members, what could be simpler than K1200 and above as one forum and K1100 and below as the other? You won't have to constantly be explaining to new owners the difference between a brick and a wedge to get them to the proper forum.

By putting the K12 bricks with the wedges, it might increase the size of the wedge forum to where it will be more active and have more experienced contributors helping the newer wedge owners.

Whatever is decided WILL be fine. This forum is truly a wealth of information. Keep up the great work!

Totally agree with and applaud both this and your previous post.

Well thought-out and workable. :clap

I don't agree with including the later bricks with the new K bikes. There is no similarity at all with them. I've had all the K variations.
The old bricks and later bricks do have similarities in respect to how they function vastly closer than any similarities between a brick of any age and the new K bikes.
The new K bikes are simply out there by themselves. No question about it.

I don't agree with including the later bricks with the new K bikes. There is no similarity at all with them. I've had all the K variations.
The old bricks and later bricks do have similarities in respect to how they function vastly closer than any similarities between a brick of any age and the new K bikes.
The new K bikes are simply out there by themselves. No question about it.

Agree 100%.

I was just thinking that hanging the "wedgies" out there by themselves, that you won't have many people visiting the site and more importantly not very many experienced BMW owners to help them with their problems thereby putting a higher load on the few wedge experts.

It's not that the wedge and the K12 brick are similar, but that you really have three very different types of bikes: K11 and below, K12 bricks, and wedges.

By putting the K12 bricks with the other bricks, you have a very large brick forum and a very small wedge forum.

By putting K12 bricks with the newer wedges, you end up with more balanced numbers in the forums plus you infuse the wedge forum with needed experience and expertise.

Either way works for me.:bikes

By putting K12 bricks with the newer wedges, you end up with more balanced numbers in the forums plus you infuse the wedge forum with needed experience and expertise.

But you're putting people in the forum that don't know anything about the wedges. That doesn't help anyone.

But you're putting people in the forum that don't know anything about the wedges. That doesn't help anyone.

Yes. Don't worry about the numbers. They will increase soon enough with these new K bikes.

The K1200 bricks don't have anything in common with the wedge bikes either, at least the 1200 brick IS a brick design so has that in common, at least it has a longitudinal engine and a dry clutch! I think they belong in the Klassic Kamp. I agree, the 2nd Generation forum would be active enough, or will be soon enough.
Gilly

In case you didn't notice - there is a new forum in town, and a new name for this forum!

The new forum - empty at the moment - can be found at:

http://forums.forums.bmwmoa.orgdisplay.php?f=55 - titled "Wedge K-Bikes", The shape of things to come - the new, transverse fours.

This forum has been renamed: "Flying Brick K-bikes", K75, K100, K1100, K1200 up to 2004, and all K1200LTs

I'm assuming everyone can see the new forum - and that we'll soon have new moderators for it, and we can start moving "Wedge" material over to it.

Should be fun! Thanks to Darryl Richman for making this happen expeditiously!

Back