• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do we need a seperate forum for newer K-bikes

peterleo

As the owner of an 07 1200 GT I have a hard time finding any threads relating to the newer models and am wondering if separating the new K's from the old might be appropriate at this time......tkm

Unfortunately - the volume probably doesn't justify it. If you want to attract more K1200 owners - put the year/model in the subject line, bet you get some bites.

If we can get the volume up high enough, I'll make a request for a splitting the K bikes.

If we can get the volume up high enough, I'll make a request for a splitting the K bikes.

I'm not sure what volume is considered to be high enough to split the classic-K "Bricks" from whatever the nickname is for the "Japanese" K's (just kidding, no letters please), but there are 25,000+ posts for K Bikes and only 12,000+ posts for Hexheads. There are only about 4,000+ posts between the two kinds of F/G bikes, but they are split apart. It seems to me that there is at least as much technical/design difference between the two Ks as there is between Oilheads and Hexheads, and the two kinds of F/G bikes.

site split

So would they then be re named the "Brick Site" and the "Wedge Site"?:)

Last edited:
Separate K site

I think we should s they really have little in common with eachother. More like the difference between F and R series

I think it's a good idea. They wouldn't be sites, they would be forms. A K Brick forum and a K Wedge (or transverse?) forum.
Gilly

While we're at it, could we have a site just for blue K bikes....it's tedious looking through all those other colors
doh4jw.gif

Blue K1200GT Forum

While we're at it, could we have a site just for blue K bikes....it's tedious looking through all those other colors
doh4jw.gif

I agree! (not really)
Better yet, how 'bout a forum for blue K1200GT (flying brick models, not those CANBUS things) with aftermarket shorty windshields. :stick
100_2498.jpg

Now, 'cuse me while I go lobby the form gods for an exclusive K1 section... :bolt
1991K1-WhiteOakCanyon.jpg

:hide

-MTS

I agree. (really).

In fact the K bike forum states clearly 'The indestructible flying brick'.

The transverse K bike engine is so different, it may even need to be on another site when comparing it to the other models of BMWs. But, I'm sure that a home can be made for it here. Just like the F and G models, for example, which don't even have a drive shaft. And stick up vertically like no other BMW engine since the R26 or 27.
I don't usually post anything on these new K bikes here. I usually go to other sites to read about them and sometimes post. But it doesn't feel like home there. I've had the new KS for 4 years now.

Last edited:
I don't own a K bike, so the end result doesn't have much affect on me. However, over the same time period the K bike has been produced, the R-bikes have been broken down into three categories. It does not make sense to me to have all the K bikes under the same roof (so to speak), especially since BMW changed the configuration significantly a few years ago.

Anyway, that's my two-cents.

It is rather frustrating when someone posts "I have this problem with my K1200GT"and he gets eight to ten responses for the brick version before some one finds out that he's talking about a wedge bike.:doh

But it would probably make more sense to split the "Klassic Ks" (K100,K75,K1,K1100) from all the K1200s as the Klassic Ks share so much mechanically, electrically, parts interchangability, maintenance wise, and problem wise.

Just about the only thing the the K1200 Bricks share is engine layout and valve cover shape. Besides Kbikes.com is almost all K1200 stuff.

I say split!:bolt

:dance :dance :dance

Last edited:
But it would probably make more sense to split the "Klassic Ks" (K100,K75,K1,K1100) from the K1200s as the Klassic Ks share so much mechanically, electrically, parts interchangability, maintenance wise, and problem wise.

I say split!:bolt

:dance :dance :dance

I agree, I have owned K75, K100 & K1100s and think they are substancially different. I have no interest in the newer Ks. Just my opinion

Irrefutable Logic

There is a lot of irrefutable logic here for separation.

It would make both reading and posting simpler for those of us who have only one or the other.

Separate

Having just traded in a 2004 KRS for a new 2008 KS I would vote for a separate
forum for the newer K bikes. The older and newer have very little in common in
design. I would also like to see more about racing listed somewhere on here !

I have neither currently, but being an ex-brick rider (coupla K75s and a K11RS)- it makes total sense to split between Klassic K and Wedge K (thanx Lee!), and NO sense to retain a singular forum for these two very different lines of bikes.

Back