Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camping

Rally Rat

Camping

I've never been to an MOA rally, but hope to attend. I may bring camping gear in order to have it on the road or I may avail myself of the operation setting up tents for rent at the site. The rally camping section of the newly redesigned website addresses RV camping, not tents. BTW, love the spiffed up site!
    From pictures of previous rallies, it seems that tents are set up all over the place (albeit in designated areas). What is the individual tent camping policy for the fairgrounds, the rally site? I haven't been able to find that info anywhere.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Greg,
    Bring your camping gear or use the vendor that rents the equipment. The rally grounds become a tent city. There are no extra fees for camping beyond the registration fee. Come join the fun. Also, I suggest finding something of interest to you and volunteer to work a shift. It is a great way to meet people and it helps the operation of the rally.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Rally Rat
    Thanks! I plan on volunteering. I need to put a few things into place in order to put this plan in action, as I'm sure all but the most liberated retirees do. I'm looking forward to meeting some real characters and to putting faces to some names.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dmaust01 View Post
    Greg,
    ... or use the vendor that rents the equipment. The rally grounds become a tent city.
    I'm that vendor. In fact, just shot off a note to the Rally Chair wondering where my link is for this year.

Also, I don't just rent the equipment, I set it all up and maintain the Sherpa camp for the duration.

Feel free to contact me if you need further info.
    Camping guy

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Now for the question I must ask - will there be electricity available for those of us who have medical needs (CPAP, nebulizers, etc.)?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Now for the question I must ask - will there be electricity available for those of us who have medical needs (CPAP, nebulizers, etc.)?
    I provide that for my customers that need it, usually MOA will have a section allocated with electricity for this purpose.
    Camping guy

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Was a guest last year in Wyoming. This is the way to go:
    • coffee in morning
    • 12 volt recharging gear
    • 120 volt recharging gear
    • clean towels every day
    • add air to mattresses every night
    • nice shady pavilion
    • community ice chest
    • air mattress topped off at night if needed
    • camper chair
    • sleeping bag
    • mint on pillow

special cigars - upon request.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Wow. I really gotta drop some weight.

You can see the coffee service and cell phone charging for Sherpa customers here.

Sure was windy, still haven't gotten around to repairing the damaged canopies.
    Camping guy

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    The short answer is yes. I don't know the details...
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Smile

[QUOTE=Sunfire said ".....just have a hard time sleeping, so I was just concerned of how loud it would be sleeping in tents".

You can't be as old as you say, or you'd be deaf like the rest of us....

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

One "Sherpa" question?

The Sherpa Tent area has always been so pretty to look at and seems orderly indeed. WHY do you set the tents up SO close to one another. Space is certainly the answer, I suspect, but one can hear his neighbor breathing I would think? I tent, as a life long tenter, but just wondered why these tents at your site have to be on top of one another(nearly). Randy

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The Sherpa Tent area has always been so pretty to look at and seems orderly indeed. WHY do you set the tents up SO close to one another. Space is certainly the answer, I suspect, but one can hear his neighbor breathing I would think? I tent, as a life long tenter, but just wondered why these tents at your site have to be on top of one another(nearly). Randy
    I have always thought that as well, Randy. As much as it might be tempting to use the Sherpa services, the thought of sharing my personal space with some one, or another couple RIGHT NEXT to me, has no appeal.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

I am sure that Sherpa Mayberry has a space allocation in which to set up his tents. Though they are all pretty and lined up in a row, at least it is orderly as compared to the rest of the camping area. At many rallies I have attended, I have left my tent and returned to find that someone has set their tent up with in inches of my front vestibule or rear window. Unless you find an out of the way and remote spot to place your tent, you will have tents on top of tents on top of tents and then the Sherpa will start to look better.

FWIW, my one time using the Sherpa in VT we did not have any noise issues from our neighbors.

Rick G
    2011 Beemer Roadster
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE ADV Lite

In my experience, the next tent can be just as loud at 10 feet as at 10 inches. Put in your earplugs when you crawl into your bag.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Marysue
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
    Well, this year I'm finally going to be able to attend a rally. I can't wait!

Now, here's my trepidation... I've never camped in my life, so for the first time I'm going to forego the comforts of an hotel room and check out what camping is all about. Instead of buying all the equipment, I'm going to try out renting a "camping site".

My question is, are these camping sites very rowdy, or are they subdued for "old farts" like me? Hopefully this will not insult anybody.

Paul
    I'm a very light sleeper, so I'm game for establishing and "old fart" quiet camping section...maybe in close proximity of the Sherpa tents...