• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Spokane-The $91 Aftermath

calnalu

Off shore and glassy
My first ever International Rally was great! Thanks to all the organizers for a job well done and a big hello to all the forum folks I met through the weekend and in the Beer Tent.

Bugs have been washed off my ride, sleeping bag aired out, and riding gear cleaned and put away until the next ride. The last task to take care of is the $91 'welcome to Spokane' greeting I received from a WA LEO in the middle of a wheat field on Hwy 2 going into Spokane. I was made the 'example' and cited for doing '70+' in a 60 mph zone.

Can someone please explain how out-of-state citations affect your driving/riding record? Does WA have an on-line traffic school program where I can work off any 'points' I may have received from this citation?

This one encounter with the LEO didn't put too much of a damper on my rally experience. Everyone else I met in Spokane was great!

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Marty

Usually If you pay the fine off in a hurry, there is a good chance that it will not show up on your record. I have had one or two out of state tickets that never did show up on my driving record. It all depends on how "up to date" there state system is, and how well they communicate with surrounding states. Just my experience. :burnout :burnout :thumb

Plus

there is a good chance your insurance company might not catch it even if it makes it to your state. It all depends on how up to date your insurance carrier keeps its records.
Pay the fine fast and cross your fingers.

The last time I received an out of state ticket "performance award", I paid it soon after arriving home and it never showed up on either my driving record or insurance.

You also can call your local neighbor hood Police or Bureau of Motor Vehicles and ask them what state they have reciprocity with. However paying it quickly helps ALOT.

It's been a few years since I received an out-of-state award, but I just paid them off as soon as I returned home. Insurance or home state DMV was never affected.

I thought that I was home clear with my out of state ticket. Funny thing is that it showed up this last insurance renewal two years after the fact. :dunno

Ticket Strategies

Here is a web site with some strategies you may want to consider in handling traffic tickets. I do not have any personal knowledge of the effectiveness of any of the techniques described.

http://www.motorists.com/

Like everyone else has posted: Pay up quick. I wouldn't worry about the online traffic school, unless your points are on the edge. And one more thing: Try to avoid doing anything that would cause your insurance to LOOK UP your driving record ie: adding or deleting a vehicle, changing coverage, adding a driver, etc.
My insurance is in Utah and I've had tickets in NV, CA, and CO. and the only one that showed up on my insurance was the CO right after I deleted a car.

Too bad you cant go to court. the "70+" sounds like an estimate. If he doesn't have proof other than that, I bet you could win.

To my knowledge Washington has reciprocity with Idaho, Oregon and California as well as British Columbia in some cases. As far as the insurance goes, most larger companies now do national searches when "something" triggers one. As said before, adding or deleting a car or driver can be that trigger. Random searches, backgrounds checks for new jobs and the like can also dig up the infraction. If you live close enough to go to court and they find your record is clean you may have the option of taking a defered sentence. Basically that means you pay the fine and keep your nose clean for one year and the ticket never goes on your record at all. If you are cited again within the one year time frame, the fine increases and both infractions are reported. In Washington, paid tickets automatically drop off your record after three years.

Tickets

FWIW category. Got a speeding ticket in Bloomington Ill. and paid it on the spot to the officer. (yes, it was legit. got a receipt from City) Officer said it was the money or the body! You can't pay any faster than that. However I had State Farm Insurance at the time whose headquarters is in Bloomington!!!!! $50 added to my premium immediately. Double Whammy!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I paid the ticket and we'll see what happens. I'll let you know if it shows up on my insurance anytime soon.

Marty

It pays to be a girl...

Hmmm, I got stopped doing 83 in a 65. The nice officer wrote me a warning and then we chatted about my little cross country trip.

Jeez! You got off with a warning PLUS you had the short lines at the showers in Spokane.

Could be time for Mrs. Doubtfire to do the next rally!

Marty

What about California?

Going up to the rally, I got a ticket in Nevada, Humbolt county near the OR border, for 91 in a 70 (he wrote me up for 80). I called the DA's office in Nevada and they don't have any program for getting out of the ticket (i.e., being on probation). I just paid the ticket. I live in CA, and wanted to know if my record will reflect this ticket. Does anyone know what will happen? I don't plan on adding a car or person to my policy, and will keep in mind what has been said on this forum.

Thanks for any advice.

It's called a Valentine 1 folks. Put one of these bad boys on your bike and you won't be thinking about where to mail a check or how many points might show up on your record. :brow

Last edited:
Back