• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spokane-The $91 Aftermath

I think states vary on reporting fast driving awards to the winner's home state. Coming back from RA last year, one of Kentucy's finest awarded me 73 in a 55 ($140). My license came up for renewal in May and I was informed that I had to take both the car and bike written tests because of my "close encounter" with Officer Davis (perfect score on both, BTW). So, Kentucky talks to Illinois!

I prefer to find out which states have a "No chase" law. Seems many states have laws that if someone is trying to outrun the cop, that they won't chase them. It's worked every time I've tried it. OK...none....but it's a nice thought. Funny thing though...radios travel pretty quick. I've gotten to the point where I travel a 'bit' slower than I used to. BUT...if someone passes me going a good clip, I'll drop back about a third of a mile and use him/her as my cruise control, sit back and enjoy the ride. I've donated my share of money for the FDAs I've received so it's nice not having to pay for awhile. Been just over three years now. My insurance company seems to get all my tickets except the one I got in Montana one time...paid the cop in the car and they didn't report to anyone at that time...1970s. Good luck all.

RT RANDY said:
It's called a Valentine 1 folks. Put one of these bad boys on your bike and you won't be thinking about where to mail a check or how many points might show up on your record. :brow

Then again there are people like me, who just like to ride at the speed they feel safe, which is within reason - about 10 to 15 over the posted limit. Basically with the flow. has worked for many years..... costs me less than a V1.

RT RANDY said:
It's called a Valentine 1 folks. Put one of these bad boys on your bike and you won't be thinking about where to mail a check or how many points might show up on your record. :brow

Not necessarily.

Valentine 1. No traffic. Zapped with instant on from an oncoming police car.

393625-M-2.jpg

>Not necessarily.

>Valentine 1. No traffic. Zapped with instant on from an oncoming >police car.

Dave, V1 is radar detection, not radar jamming! You GOTS to pay attention. When travelling "ultra-legal" you HAVE to have your brake covered and brake HARD at the first beep, especially with "instant on". From what I understand, radar reads 10 times a second and has to have two identical readings to get a lock. If you're slowing down, it won't lock until you hit the speed limit. (I dont' know if this holds true for laser, I haven't run across it on highways yet. Both the NHP and UHP use "instant on" Ka band)

Then again, a LEO doesn't HAVE to have a radar lock to write you up.

I put 300 H.A.R.D. miles in the other day and need to write a trip report. I like the heads up, led warning INFINITELY more than the audio (through the xma3 and earmolds) beep. About 7 warnings total and nary a raised eyebrow from NHPs finest. (Although I DID just about get rear-ended by a "radar parasite")

H. A. R. D.

BradfordBenn said:
Cop said "I am not going to smile." he meant it

Ghostryder said:
Dont you hate it when they dont have a sense of humor?????:stick

Don't you think not smiling was a form of humor. Drier than sherry!

MarkF

P.S. I never smile without a cocktail in hand.:beer

dlearl said:
>Not necessarily.

>Valentine 1. No traffic. Zapped with instant on from an oncoming >police car.

Dave, V1 is radar detection, not radar jamming! You GOTS to pay attention. When travelling "ultra-legal" you HAVE to have your brake covered and brake HARD at the first beep, especially with "instant on". From what I understand, radar reads 10 times a second and has to have two identical readings to get a lock. If you're slowing down, it won't lock until you hit the speed limit. (I dont' know if this holds true for laser, I haven't run across it on highways yet. Both the NHP and UHP use "instant on" Ka band)

Then again, a LEO doesn't HAVE to have a radar lock to write you up.

I put 300 H.A.R.D. miles in the other day and need to write a trip report. I like the heads up, led warning INFINITELY more than the audio (through the xma3 and earmolds) beep. About 7 warnings total and nary a raised eyebrow from NHPs finest. (Although I DID just about get rear-ended by a "radar parasite")

H. A. R. D.

I think our closing speeds were too high. I was nearly 95, he was getting up to speed at 70 or so. I came around a corner and he just blasted me at point blank range.

I stopped, turned around to look for him and he had the wheels locked and was smoking to a stop.

Radar detectors are good, especially a V1 (love mine) but if you're out there in the middle of nowhere, it's a crapshoot.

Just so you know, radar needs a steady, clear target to "lock" onto thats why when traveling on the highway it is good to stay next to larger objects. The doppler radar has a hard time picking the smaller object up and you can get lost in the "Shadow" of the bigger vehicle. However when your taged in the middle of nowhere, a honest approach always works. Like, "Yes sir I know I was speeding, Why? Because I didnt think you were around of course"
Laser on the other hand is target specific. Look through the cross hairs, press the trigger and whamo. You can be taged from about 5-600 feet away. In other words by the time you see them, they have you. Also difficult to fight in court. Laser does not disperse like radar over a distance.
I guess just stay about 15 over and you should be o-kay. Now as for a sense of humor, If he was smiling, walking towards him with a ticket book in one hand, and a pair of cuffs in the other....now that is a sense of humor.:D :D

Ghostryder said:
Just so you know, radar needs a steady, clear target to "lock" onto thats why when traveling on the highway it is good to stay next to larger objects. The doppler radar has a hard time picking the smaller object up and you can get lost in the "Shadow" of the bigger vehicle.

Believe it or not we got new radar units that can distinguish from multiple targets going both directions. It will display both the largest and the fastest target. Heck I can even track a car coming up behind me, same direction, while I'm moving. Fighting it now comes down to operator error and how much the court will hear.

The other night I had some squid go by me at 20 over a little after midnight. Not smart on a twisty country road prone to deer and loose cattle. It didn't prompt a response til he went WFO as he passed me. The next cop down the road clocked him at 85-100 MPH and the third cop barely saw him as he crossed the town line but was amazed he even stayed upright. And none of the these cops pursued him! Seems like a big risk for a little ticket. Those idiots give up all a bad name.

MArkF

I see you work for one of thos fancy departments that have all the new fun toys!!!!:D I bet you even have some of those luxry items like, working radios, cars with ac, and probably even a computer or two huh????
I have heard about those units, but we stay away from them, our dept likes the laser units, and I must admit they are kinda fun, They do have some limitations though. Well thanks for the update on the radar units. Stay safe.

Ghostryder said:
I see you work for one of thos fancy departments that have all the new fun toys

our dept likes the laser units, and I must admit they are kinda fun

Some kinda grant. The town would never buy them. We used that last unit (bought on a grant) for over ten years.

I don't like laser - too much work. It's the difference between watching cars and "shooting" cars. Although it is great for multi-lane highways.

MarkF

This thread has me confused. MSF says ride between the clumps of traffic. This thread says ride in traffic and then we are told they can track us in traffic. Damn, one of these days I may have to give up speeding. :p

From a speeder point of view I like laser (Widely used in Ohio). The V1 and CB do not exempt me from a dillgent watch. (yes, it is a sport, not getting caught I need more toys to avoid capture). The beauty of Laser is they need a sraight line of sight which means they are close to the painted white line on the side of the road and easy to see.

I've actually wondered how much they like being so close to traffic. Seems to me they spend enopugh time there when they stop someone. I had a friend when I was a part time medic. He saw the mini van coming, with mom turned around yelling at the kids, he tried to get out of the patrol car, he was in the doorway when she impacted the Cruiser. I was unfortunately dipatched to the accident. He was badly hurt, but did survive on disability till he died of cancer a year later. This still bugs me.

Maybe this helps me get just a lecture sometime, but my last stop a couple years ago was in PA on I80. I knew he was coming and considered stopping. But my memories make me concerned for both of us. I eased up, waved to him, pointed ahead to try to indicate around the bend, saw the exit 1.5 miles and pointed to that, pulled into the dirt off the paved shoulder of the exit ramp, well away from traffic. We had a nice long talk about bikes, nice guy.

Im sorry I was not trying to tell anyone to ride in clumps of trafic. I personally like to ride in between the clumps. I was just trying to offer up a suggestion or two for those of you who like to particapate in the sport or speed detection, or evasion which ever side you happen to be on. I like to look at it as a sport myself. Just something that is kind of fun to do on those days when I get bored. Like a big video game. Well that is just the way I look at it.
As far s sitting so close to traffic....not me I never do it. I will usually sit around a curve, or at the bottom of a hill, somewhere I can get a view of about 5-600 feet or so. This way I can sit off to the right of the road and get a good "shot" while I am safe, and away from the flow of traffic. I have seen, and been caught by the troopers here in Ga that sit on the left side shoulder, just past he crest of a hill, or around a bend and I think that they are nuts. That is way too close to traffic for me.....for what? A speeding ticket? Nope not worth it.
To me the important thing is to just keep an eye on your surroundings, and drive in a defensive mode. Always ride safe. :bliss :bliss

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek for much of that post. Ohio troopers on the turnpike use barrier cut throughs that protect most of the car from both directions. Troopers elsewhere are different.

In Columbus you see them out with the "students". I've seen this on the left berm on the outside of a curve standing between the car and the cement barrier, doesn't look safe to me. Around my home Progressive Ins. donated a bunch to local departments. Some of these officers are nutz!!!!! I came around a bend in express lanes to find one on the left berm. He could barely get the door to the car open enough to stand there with his laser gun and only inches between his car and the lane of traffic. To make it worse (good for surprise) is the barrier was high enough he was concealed until you were on top of him. I was startled when he came into view. Ohio law says you must slow down or change lanes for law enforcement on the shoulder. This guy was going to get killed or kill someone who too rapidly changed lanes into another vehicle or braked suddenly in heavy traffic. This was rush hour on a heavily traveled road. You had to be lucky to be between packs and able to speed, but he was going to get that sucker come hell or high water.

Attitude

MT Troopers may be a lot more laid back so take this with a grain of salt. THE big thing out here with the majority of us is not so much the NUMBER on the radar unit but the SITUATION.
+15 over or even more on a wide open stretch of Interstate 15 or I-80 is one thing. But 55 mph on a small Town street with kids,dogs,etc is another thing. Or 100+ through heavy traffic, bad passes, high speeds on a road with deer,elk,cattle.

I have always looked at the totality of the situation; the weather,road conditions, VEHICLE, DRIVERs ability,etc. Plus I have to say the Drivers ATTITUDE has a lot to do with it. It's tougher to write one out to a friendly and HONEST violator who admits to the speed, than a wisee ass with a confrontational attitude.

Honesty is a big one, as we tend to deal with so many irresponsible people. That dishonesty and lack of responsibility tends to wear on us after a few years.

And you have to remember too. We are the ones who have to clean up the mess when YOU wreck. Even after many.many years on the job injury accidents are upsetting and fatal accidents even more so. You don't know what its like to call or worse yet stop in person to give a death notice to a Family.

FN in MT MHP#237

9 over in Wyoming

Car, daylight, Interstate, downhill. No other vehicles. Paid $90 for 84 in a 75. WHP said he gave us a $10 break since we were wearing seatbelts. Local rider said to stay out of court in WY. The court would just add costs to the fine.

Back