• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1200S new rear rack

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
I put the new rear rack on my K12S. Looks nice. Strong. If you put one on, make sure that you stay deep in the torx bolts holding the old grab rails in place as you turn the ratchet. The screws have locktite holding them and I almost had to resort to extrordinary means to get one out. You can't heat them very well to break the locktite.
Anyway, it's nice. Looks like a K1300S now...heh.

Where is the "This thread is useless without pics" smiley??:scratch :dunno :bluduh
Would like to see it (before/after), not sure what the difference is.

Gilly

Where did you find it? I ended up with an aftermarket one from SW Motech, which looks ok, but it conflicts with my Corbin seat, so I have to remove the rack to remove the seat. I plan to reshape the rack and then have it repowder coated at some point, but if there is a factory rack available, maybe that would be the way to go............

I added one from a K1200r last August. I wish I knew it would become an option, it would have saved me some money and headache trying to figure out how to make it work and still look decent. My original post from k-bike.com is here if intersted.

imag0029.jpg

imag0030.jpg

imag0031.jpg

A rear rack? Al Bundy once said that would be nice for slow dancing! :whistle
Sorry, this could lead to the tavern.

The above is an exact picture of the rack, but now the grabrails look just like the original grabrails on the K12S and fit around the trim. It is shown on the K1300S brochure here as well:

http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/bmwmotorrad

on page 56.

The rack is listed in the accessory bulletin for the K1300S and fits the K1200S as well...or in the latest part fiche called luggage grid. Part # 71 60 7 715 137

Takes about 20 minutes to install. Leave the bolts loose until you have it all in place, then tighten all and install the tinted plastic panel last.

Hi,
This is for the K1200S now...Part # 71 60 7 715 137 lists for 201.95 and includes all the necessary parts in a kit.

Thanks Jack
This should make a lot of people with the K1200S happy. $201.95 is not a bad price for a OEM rack.

I'm surprised this thread does not get more interest. I would think there are a lot of K1200S owners out there that would like a rear rack.

I'm surprised this thread does not get more interest. I would think there are a lot of K1200S owners out there that would like a rear rack.

They must not look here in the brick yard.

Jack
Any plans for a rack bag ?

We use the waterproof BMW duffles just in front of the rack area...but now there are more tie points. We also have the small BMW bag that slips onto the rack, and could have both I guess. The small BMW bag will hold a weekend's worth of duds and a dopp kit...might just go with that sometimes.

Got my K13S rack on today, even tried the Speed Pack on. Will need longer traps for the Speed Pack. Got the 51 L bag on my birthday list or Father's Day.
Has anyone tried other dry bags out on the K12's ? If so who & what size?
joe

Last edited:
Back