• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which manufacture of side cases for the R1200 GS do you like.

dksta46

I've been wanting to replace the BMW Vario side cases on my 07 GS with larger ones. I've been looking at three manufactures Jesse Safari/Odyssey II, Micatech, Touratech Zega 35L-41L. They are all look very well made. I read the article in this months BMWON on the Jesse Safari bags I'm not sure about the quick clip mounting bracket. The new mounting system for the Odyssey II bags looks simple and strong. The Micatech has a nice mounting system but the door and locking latch looks weak. The Touratech Zega cases look strong. I like the four point mounting system but they charge extra for key locks and the cost for two 41 liter cases wow. Any ones opinion is greatly appreciated.

I don't own any of the above but I'm eventually going to be in the market for some GS bags and I've been asking around and paying attention, so I'll tell you what I've accumulated so far.

Jesse: Well-made, the most popular. The top-opening isn't for everyone, especially if you like to tie stuff on top of your cases. If you like this style of case, shop around some- there are many similar products on the market and you might like another one better.

Micatech: Kind of the happy medium between a metal 'adventure-style' case and a System case. Well-made and durable, nice metal construction but less boxy than the Jesses. Side-opening with a lower sill to keep your stuff from spilling out when the door is opened. VERY roomy inside. Michatech's mounts are probably the least-conspicuous when the bags are off the bike, if that matters to you (it does to me, and I find most aftermarket bag-mounts to be really ugly). Latches are better than they look. This is the case that I'm saving for.

Touratech/Zega: Looks like a good product overall, but they also look like they'd lose their ability for the lids to seal if the box ever got tweaked much (such as in an impact). Big ugly mounts. Seems like less value for the price than Jesse or Michatech, but that's just my opinion.

I have the smaller Zega special set on my GS and like them. I did not want something too big as I do not ride 2 up and extra space would just be an excuse to carry more junk than I need. The smaller special set holds plenty. However, when camping I throw tank panniers over the bike, too.

p-20080815-1723-4154.jpg

// marc

I have the MICATECH sidecases and have never been so happy with them. They're constructed very well, are cavernous, waterproof. They also support my GS very well when spilling the bike. The lock is just as robust as any lock. Have had no problems. When not using them, the mounting barcket matches the bike very well. Side opening has more advantages: easy loading and unloading; everything is packed in layers without having to unoads things from the top. The lid can also be used as a table. Superb service, superb quality...:usa

I'm in the same boat. Leaning toward Jesse Odyssey IIs. The Safaris are nice, but that quick lock looks a little weak in case of a spill. The Micatech specs are awesome, but they look too much like my mother's old Singer sewing machine case. YMMV

Jesse here;

I use the Odessey Safari and the quick click is the simplest, strongest system I've ever seen. Its is small enough, sure, but so well done and has a lot more strength, than any fall you can possibly take. Al Jesse says the "quick click" is tested to some extreme weights, like 3000 lbs. plus and will not break under most m/c conditions. I ride with mine offroad in "harsh conditions" and the system has not failed in any way. I'm a believer in Al Jesse's "quick click" mounting. I am not ignorant to harsh offroad and know things bend, break, but not mine yet and have fallen and have owned 6 sets of Jesse's Bags. They scratch and some older systems did bend of his, but this new "quick click" is his strongest, simplest design by anybody building bags, imo. Being i've owned so many of his bags, through the years, I am BIASED here and should be, with my experience. Other bags are very nice too I am sure and i have NO time with their equipment, so be it. I recognize the others as good stuff too. A lot of choices, a good thing,imo:) Randy

Thank you to all that have responed to this thread. Theres nothing like getting the opinions from the end user and not a sales person. I like the Safari cases but I do not want to lower the exhaust so that eliminates those. If you could use the quick lock on the Odyssey cases I think I would go for those cases. It's still cold in the east so I have time to figure out which cases to go for.

I just installed Jesse Odessey II bags on my 08 GS and I'm very happy with them. I have the low pipe which has more room inside, but makes it impossible to use the left bag as a campground seat. This is my second set of Jesses.

My wife has Jessie bags on her 650 and I have Happy Trails on my Dakar. The Jessie bags are just better made and reflect a higher level of craftsmanship. I also think the Jessie mounting system is superior as is the latch mechanism and they look better in my opinion. That being said, the Happy Trails are a quality product that do the job and will probably last as long for 60% of the price of Jessie Bags. I think all the beemer bags are over priced.

I agree,

These things are pricey indeed! The Jesse's I think are the heaviest on the wallet, but the high end craftsmanship is apparent. All the bags I've seen are neat to look at and treat their owners fairly well, I think. I love the Mica pics/GS on the ground:). Thats what its all about:). Explore and have tons of fun. Thats one road in my future, too. I made the Nova Scotia ride from out west(CA.) a couple years ago, but no time to make it to Labrador:(. Another Day, Randy:usa :ca

I stopped in at the local BMW dealer and was looking at the Adventure bag mounts. I wounder if the the adventure aluminum cases would work on the standard GS :confused:

Jesse: Well-made, the most popular. The top-opening isn't for everyone, especially if you like to tie stuff on top of your cases.

I bought Jesse Oddessy's for my F800GS. I ordered the extra tie down handles for the top. You can tie down sleeping bag, tent etc. on the top. They are shaped like a bow tie narrower in the center so useful as a carry handle as well.

top_rack_on_R1100GS_small.jpg

They also offer a removable wire bracket for the inside of the lid so you can stash smaller items there and they will stay in place.

R1100GS_Opencase_2_small.jpg

Now I am itchy to go somewhere.

I have the smaller Zega special set on my GS and like them. I did not want something too big as I do not ride 2 up and extra space would just be an excuse to carry more junk than I need. The smaller special set holds plenty. However, when camping I throw tank panniers over the bike, too.

p-20080815-1723-4154.jpg

// marc

Would like to find out where you got the brackets for the gas bottles?

Thanks for the link and pics. Have you rode over any really aggressive dirt or washboards and seen how they hold up?

They've been on the bike for about 18,000 miles. The only noticeable change is scratched paint on the bottles. Nothing really aggressive in that time period. Dirt and gravel roads, sure. The worse are what sometimes passes for paved roads here in the SF Bay Area: stuff that was paved 40 years ago and hasn't seen much maintenance since.

// marc

Have had my Micatechs for a full season and love them. Had my bike fall over from high winds (60MPH...) in a parking lot, and they saved my bike from major damage, and had a scuff so slight on them, you can't even tell my bike fell over. VERY STURDY. I'm not concerned at all about the piano hinge on these bags.

Back