• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated Vest vs. Jacket Liner

HFD190

I am thinking about purchasing either a heated vest or jacket liner. This will be my first heated clothing purchase. I am pretty much settled on Gerbings and at this point IÔÇÖm just trying to determine which makes the most sense. I ride with an Olympia jacket that keeps me comfortable down to about 45 degrees with the liner. IÔÇÖm concerned about too much bulk under the jacket, do folks ride with the heated liner under the jacket liner, or do you remove the jacket liner when wearing the heated liner? Also, has anyone who purchased a vest wished they had gone with the jacket liner instead?

I wear a widder vest under the Oly liner, over a long john shirt. Toasty, but I'm going to a jacket soon.

My wife went from vest to jacket liner and loves it. It is a Warm 'N' Safe. Has a troller with it that keeps the temperature controllable and well distributed. - Bob

Last edited:
vest or jacket

I ride a 93 K1100 RS.

Tourmaster synergy jacket liner in place of the regular liner on my FieldSheer " Bullit " jacket.

UNBELIEVABLY WARM !!! I've been out in at freeway speeds, 17 degrees F.

Fells like just the regular jacket with this heated liner in.
The Gerbrings stuff IS better.

Get the jacket liner, they are sooooooooooooooooooooo nice!

Do go for the jacket liner. It is lots warmer!

I use it to replace the regular jacket liner, but I've ridden when it's cold enough to use both!!

Then again I have a warm heart ; )

Voni
sMiling

Yes, my vote would be a heated jacket liner. It depends upon the temps whether or not I use the all 3 layers or not (outer jacket, inner jacket, heated liner).

I think Tom said it best. Arms get cold, a vest doesn't help that. I have a Gerbings liner and find it essential in this State. I got a temperature controller for it for Christmas and expect to like it even more.

John

My arms are the first area to get cold on my R1200RT. Love my Gerbing jacket liner. I use it under my Olympia Phantom one piece suit and my Olympia GT jacket. Toasty!!

I wear my Gerbings liner under my Olympia AST with liner. I don't find it to bulky. You want a snug fit with the Gerbings liner for best performance and something relatively light under it. I usually wear a turtle neck or very light sweater. When not using the Gerbings liner I wear a heavier base layer and the AST fit is about the same.

I used to have a vest. It was a huge improvement over no electrics. But every time I wore it in cold weather all I thought about was how cold my arms were. I bought a jacket liner and gave the vest away.

I would never go back to just a vest.

Ditto on the jacket liner. I have a Tourmaster Transituion 2 . I removed the liner and put the heated liner in. works great...

heated gloves???

I have a Gerbings jacket liner and love it as well. However, my fingers still get numb in the cold temps. Has anyone combined the Gerbings liner with the heated gloves? If so, what are the observations? :ear

Thanks everyone for the comments, pretty much a no brainer at this point I will be spending the extra $ to get the jacket

The Gerbings vest is easier to pack and does keep the torso and neck warm but in cold weather your arms will feel the chill. If I had to do it over I would get the jacket.

BMW vest under Olympia AST:)

I 've had my BMW vest for years now and still use it. A new purchase of the AST Olympia and a Texas road trip recently, with "teens" for temps in the AM hours, proved my setup worked for me:). My arms do NOT get cold, with heated grips on high and heated vest simply ON, no thermostat. Had the thermostat and it was a failure, so I wired it to a simple on/off switch and find it perfect. It gets HOT at 45+ outside, but once there, I do not need it anymore. It fits nicely under the AST jacket with liner in place too, so I wear the jacket/liner and vest together. 2x Jacket and ME at 245 and 6'...Into the teens and I was warm:). My wife loves her Gerbings liner and finds the arms required for her and I simply do not need the liner. We are different:). The liners draw TWICE the current a vest uses, but most new BMW's are a no brainer for this today. The older BMW's a problem exists here, with standard alternators! "Know your equipment"...Randy:usa PS;Voni, missed your place as I rode the Horn of Texas, but found it a wonderful ride all over that area 2 weeks back:). I know you were gone! Randy:usa

I use the linen BMW and my wife rides with a Gerbings jacket. I wish I had the jacket or that hers would fit. 100 % better than the liner because it also keeps your arms warm. Nothing better than riding warm.

Brett Endress
Altoona

Back