Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing in TN, NC at Rally

Fly fishing in TN, NC at Rally

While I'm looking forward to the great riding, I also wouldn't mind some fly fishing for trout while I'm at the rally. Do any locals have ideas on where to go, preferably relatively close to the rally site?
    Dan

bunkyone
    Hey Dan; I've been wondering about that myself. Brought my pack rod to the RA rally in they U.P., but didn't get a chance to use it. I'll bet that we could find someplace to wet a line without too much trouble. I'm more interested in licence's and such. I plan on hanging around for both (or should I say all three rallies, as the CMA will be holding their national east in W.VA. between the beemer rallies) and would love to kill some time with a 4 weight line and a dry fly... Just concerned with having to deal with the DNR down that way. Anyone able to help? Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by bunkyone View Post
    Hey Dan; I've been wondering about that myself. Brought my pack rod to the RA rally in they U.P., but didn't get a chance to use it. I'll bet that we could find someplace to wet a line without too much trouble. I'm more interested in licence's and such. I plan on hanging around for both (or should I say all three rallies, as the CMA will be holding their national east in W.VA. between the beemer rallies) and would love to kill some time with a 4 weight line and a dry fly... Just concerned with having to deal with the DNR down that way. Anyone able to help? Vaya con Dios, Dutch
    Hey you will be in trout flying heaven

try this link: http://www.rodsguide.com/fishing.aspx

Hope this helps....

BTW, after of before the rally several motorcycle only campgrounds in the area have fishing out the tent door...
    MOA Ambassador, Member of AL, GA and Chattanooga Clubs, MTF Gold member and BOD.
    2011 R1200 GSA with DMC sidecar; G650GS.
    My annual charity event: http://www.echbenefit.com/
    " Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

EyeBiker

Trout/Small mouth Bass Fly Fishing at the Ralley

Pretty good trout fishing in this area, some of the best east Of the Mississippi River. I like the tailwaters of the South Holsten Lake and can highly reccommend the folks at the Virginia Creeper Fly Shop in Abingdon, VA, for guiding services or information and supplies. They are about 30-40 miles from Grey, TN.

Check their link out: http//www/vcflyshop.com

SUNNYBEAR
    many great places..check out this forum and go to 'stream reports"

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/

Deep Creek is easy to get to in Bryson city, but will be crowded...some of its tributaries can be good...really it's a matter of how far you want to drive...I prefer the wild trout streams to the bigger tailwaters, but this area has something for everybody.

Isn't there a really good stream down near Brevard NC?
    aaaaaa

SUNNYBEAR
    yes..Davidson River, but it gets like Disneyland...some of the tribs to the Davidson can be fun..also very smart fish ion the "D"

Some good links. Thanks. This one: http//www/vcflyshop.com doesn't seem to work.
    Dan

I carry too:)

I try to fish on adventures around the USA too. I find the license, out of state thing is quite outrageous in most states and I prefer to save my money. State Parks sometime and/or "National Parks", especially the latter, do not require a license, but have lure requirements, like "Barbless hooks"! Private land is another choice in some states, for no license, if you know somebody. I take my chances sometimes too, without a license and have never been caught, but I KNOW the rules$$$! Randy

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Some good links. Thanks. This one: http//www/vcflyshop.com doesn't seem to work.

Try www.vcflyshop.com

Looks like the www/vcflyshop.com needs to use a "." instead of a "/"

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I try to fish on adventures around the USA too. I find the license, out of state thing is quite outrageous in most states and I prefer to save my money. State Parks sometime and/or "National Parks", especially the latter, do not require a license, but have lure requirements, like "Barbless hooks"! Private land is another choice in some states, for no license, if you know somebody. I take my chances sometimes too, without a license and have never been caught, but I KNOW the rules$$$! Randy
    A fishing licence is required for the smokey mtn national park. No trout stamp required in the GSMNP (cheaper if purchased on the NC side)
    Last edited by wuli959; 02-11-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: update

bunkyone
    Hey all; Thanks for the information. Looking forward to some really good fishing! Anytime you can ride some great roads, camp with a few thousand of your best bros, AND (hopefully) eat some fresh fish, well it just doesn't get much better then that!!See you in the summer... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

SUNNYBEAR
    Not all trout streams are put and take...some are catch and release only...barbless hooks...especially some of the streams int eh Smokies...

but there is a stream that runs right through the middle of Cherokee that is stocked and you can, I believe, take the stockers out of there...

EyeBiker

Corrected fly shop web address

Sorry, Sunnybear.

The web site for The Virginia Creeper Fly Shop is http://www.vcflyshop.com/

Sorry:)

Thought all N. Parks were free for fishing, with rules! Some states must have a different approach to this and their N.Parks !. 40$ now for a California resident license and an out of sate guy would really get the shaft here! Is it that way back east? Expensive? Randy