Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: top speed R1150RT-04

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    JMO, but I think the RT's a pretty respectable performer.
    An RT is a mule. Few bikes can carry a load like an RT and do so comfortably all day. If this is your definition of a respectable performer as a light Touring Bike, I would agree. However, nobody races a mule.

However, ANY 600cc Sportbike on the market will out perform an ANY RT in handling, top speed, braking, etc. When compared to a Superbike, the RT isn't even in the rearview mirror. If you're comparing an RT to any of these bikes, an RT is a poor performer.

JAMESDUNN

Racing RT's.

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    An RT is a mule. Few bikes can carry a load like an RT and do so comfortably all day. If this is your definition of a respectable performer as a light Touring Bike, I would agree. However, nobody races a mule.

However, ANY 600cc Sportbike on the market will out perform an ANY RT in handling, top speed, braking, etc. When compared to a Superbike, the RT isn't even in the rearview mirror. If you're comparing an RT to any of these bikes, an RT is a poor performer.
    May be a "mule" to you, but to some it is a competent "twisties" bike. I have known some to do track days on these bikes. I myself think it a good all rounder: "mule";backroad burner; high speed tourer; competent track bike; in sum; a"do it all" motorcycle.

Hee Haw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Jeez! Aren't some of you getting this?????????????

The discussion is not about the RT being faster or slower than X, it's about me knowing the handling, braking and general performance of my ride at the upper limits of the bikes envelope.

It being or not being a "mule" doesnt matter...and it being slower or faster than a bloody Superbike or 600cc lightweight whatever doesn't matter either.

Sheesh
    Phil C
    03 R1150RT 'DaRTh'
    00 R1100RA 'LeRoy'

The discussion is not about...philbytx
    But the topic has any number of interesting aspects, some of which have been explored on this thread.

And that's par for the course around here, anyway...
    Rinty

But the topic has any number of interesting aspects, some of which have been explored on this thread.

And that's par for the course around here, anyway...
    rinty's right. if you're going to post up threads here, you have to be okay with birthing your child, letting it grow (not necessarily in the direction you intended)... and be prepared for its being hijacked by bandits!!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by philbytx View Post
    The discussion is not about the RT being faster or slower than X, it's about me knowing the handling, braking and general performance of my ride at the upper limits of the bikes envelope.
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, or in this case a mule (hopefully not a rented mule) to death, can you explain how abusing your bikes motor and drive train at its "upper limits" has anything to do with knowing its handling, braking, and general performance? Let me guess....your taking it up to 129 and then seeing how many feet it takes to stop just in case your doing 129 in traffic? Do you take corners at 129? Somehow I missed this chapter in Proficient Motorcycling.
    Last edited by kenk; 03-02-2009 at 01:34 AM.

IMHO - You truly are a "wanker of the first water"!

You've already beat it to death...now you want to decimate it...got to bed willya?

At the risk of beating a dead horse, or in this case a mule (hopefully not a rented mule) to death, can you explain how abusing your bikes motor and drive train at its "upper limits" has anything to do with knowing its handling, braking, and general performance? Let me guess....your taking it up to 129 and then seeing how many feet it takes to stop just in case your doing 129 in traffic? Do you take corners at 129? Somehow I missed this chapter in Proficient Motorcycling.
    Phil C
    03 R1150RT 'DaRTh'
    00 R1100RA 'LeRoy'

RT top speed

This thread is already up to a view count of almost 2,000, on a technical topic, over a period of just two months.

It doesn't get much better than that.
    Last edited by Rinty; 03-02-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Rinty

This thread is already up to a view count of almost 2,000, on a technical topic, over a period of just two months.

It doesn't get much better than that.
    Most likely the same dozen folks looking at this post several hundred times.

This mule is dead.

04 R1150RT vs. the average 600cc sport bike

Being the owner of an 04 R1150 RT I would have to disagree regarding the average 600cc sport bike being a better bike than the RT. I find I can easily out run most sport bike riders in the twisties. They may have the horsepower but they don't tend to have the know how when it comes to turning a motorcycle. Most sport bike riders like to go fast in a straight line and tend to slow down in the corners. While the Rt is only good for about 125-135- tops, it is my favorite bike in the corners. I have taken it on track days and had lots of fun keeping liter sport bikes at bay in the corners only being passed in the long straights.
    My feelings are it's not horsepower but suspension and tires that makes the bike. By the way. My RT has Ohlins front and rear with Z6 metzlers.
    Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

Now you've done it !!

The board "behaviour police" will now admonish you

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASBEEMERGUY View Post
    Being the owner of an 04 R1150 RT I would have to disagree regarding the average 600cc sport bike being a better bike than the RT. I find I can easily out run most sport bike riders in the twisties. They may have the horsepower but they don't tend to have the know how when it comes to turning a motorcycle. Most sport bike riders like to go fast in a straight line and tend to slow down in the corners. While the Rt is only good for about 125-135- tops, it is my favorite bike in the corners. I have taken it on track days and had lots of fun keeping liter sport bikes at bay in the corners only being passed in the long straights.
    My feelings are it's not horsepower but suspension and tires that makes the bike. By the way. My RT has Ohlins front and rear with Z6 metzlers.
    Phil C
    03 R1150RT 'DaRTh'
    00 R1100RA 'LeRoy'

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASBEEMERGUY View Post

My guess is your one hell of a dancer with a fat women. Maybe you should think about entering your RT in World Superbike.

In all seriousness, I watched last years Daytona 200 in turn one. A couple BMW 130+ HP HP2 Sports finishing in the top 10 against 600cc restricted Japanese fours. All were amazed. At double the displacement and triple the cost, the most powerful boxers ever made could not defeat 600cc Japanese motorcycles that are not a far cry from stock. I have three BMWs and I wasn't impressed. Whatever lap times you can do on your rented mule, you can surely do much better on any of the modern 600cc sportbikes.
    Last edited by kenk; 03-03-2009 at 02:52 AM.

JAMESDUNN

Check out page 14 in this month's "ON".

My guess is your one hell of a dancer with a fat women. Maybe you should think about entering your RT in World Superbike.

In all seriousness, I watched last years Daytona 200 in turn one. A couple BMW 130+ HP HP2 Sports finishing in the top 10 against 600cc restricted Japanese fours. All were amazed. At double the displacement and triple the cost, the most powerful boxers ever made could not defeat 600cc Japanese motorcycles that are not a far cry from stock. I have three BMWs and I wasn't impressed. Whatever lap times you can do on your rented mule, you can surely do much better on any of the modern 600cc sportbikes.
    Sure the sportbikes are fast. They're high rev machines with nearly race bike performance. I'll take a torquey bike anyday such as a Duc or a Beemer if I am going to ride the twisties. Like that useful midrange! Top speed? (The question this thread started with.) Give me a large displacement sport bike! Check out the little lady on page 14 of this month's mag.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    Sure the sportbikes are fast. They're high rev machines with nearly race bike performance. I'll take a torquey bike anyday such as a Duc or a Beemer if I am going to ride the twisties. Like that useful midrange! Top speed? (The question this thread started with.) Give me a large displacement sport bike! Check out the little lady on page 14 of this month's mag.
    I own three BMWs to include an RT and a Ducati. Take my word for it, a BMW RT is not in the same league when it comes to handling in the twisties. It doesn't corner as well, no where close to the acceleration, and outweighs my Ducati by almost 200 lbs. My Ducati by the way has no red line, since it has no valve springs. It easily revs to numbers well beyond the redline of an RT. By the way, the young lady on page 14 clearly shows why the RT is not capable of keeping pace with a sport bike. She's within inches of scrapping the valve covers at speeds that are not all that impressive. You simply can't lean the RT over in the corners far enough to take advantage of new tire compounds.
    Last edited by kenk; 03-03-2009 at 01:39 PM.