• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

top speed R1150RT-04

Speed limit.....

Already did all other parts of the envelope...handling, braking etcetera, top speed performance is the last part.

Oh! And the maximum speed around here isn't 80....the posted speed LIMIT is 80:scratch

Tell me you aren't a Democrat? :laugh :laugh
I wonder why the "speed limit" is observed as the" minimum speed" by most of us? As a group human beings are natural born speeders: every day I go above the speed limit, and when aboard a motorcycle I tend to do so more often, albeit in "short bursts".

Speed...

If you've ever driven in I10 through West Texas you'll discover why a lot of folks exceed the speed limit !!!

I don't have a problem with someone who wants to find the limits of his vehicle, top speed, cornering limits, or whatever. As long as it's done in what I consider a reasonably safe manner.

What I have a problem with is people who are as judgmental as I am and disagree with me.:stick

No one ever passed or advocated the passage of a law that restricted their own behavior.

Frankly folks, I really don't care how fast you ride your RTs on any road. I actually believe most road out here in the plains should have no speed limits.

However, I find it a bit odd that anyone would be trying to push the performance envelop on a bike not designed for performance. Its like wondering how fast the fat man next door can run 100 yards. Who cares!!! Again, its like racing Volkswagens.

If riding 130 mph is important to you, I would recommend selling the RT and purchasing a K1300S. If you really want performance, buy a Ducati 1098. These bikes are world class performers capable of running 130+ in a stable manner.

...a bike not designed for performance...Kenk

JMO, but I think the RT's a pretty respectable performer.

As far as the K 13 and 1098 Duc are concerned, there's always something out there that's faster than any particular machine.

I go on an annual ride with a bunch of guys who are all on different brands. One of the guys, a pretty competent rider, runs with the Superbike sub-group on an 1100GS, no problem.

JMO, but I think the RT's a pretty respectable performer.

An RT is a mule. Few bikes can carry a load like an RT and do so comfortably all day. If this is your definition of a respectable performer as a light Touring Bike, I would agree. However, nobody races a mule.

However, ANY 600cc Sportbike on the market will out perform an ANY RT in handling, top speed, braking, etc. When compared to a Superbike, the RT isn't even in the rearview mirror. If you're comparing an RT to any of these bikes, an RT is a poor performer.

Racing RT's.

An RT is a mule. Few bikes can carry a load like an RT and do so comfortably all day. If this is your definition of a respectable performer as a light Touring Bike, I would agree. However, nobody races a mule.

However, ANY 600cc Sportbike on the market will out perform an ANY RT in handling, top speed, braking, etc. When compared to a Superbike, the RT isn't even in the rearview mirror. If you're comparing an RT to any of these bikes, an RT is a poor performer.

May be a "mule" to you, but to some it is a competent "twisties" bike. I have known some to do track days on these bikes. I myself think it a good all rounder: "mule";backroad burner; high speed tourer; competent track bike; in sum; a"do it all" motorcycle.

Hee Haw

Attachments

• New BMW RT.jpg
    New BMW RT.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 61
Jeez! Aren't some of you getting this?????????????

The discussion is not about the RT being faster or slower than X, it's about me knowing the handling, braking and general performance of my ride at the upper limits of the bikes envelope.

It being or not being a "mule" doesnt matter...and it being slower or faster than a bloody Superbike or 600cc lightweight whatever doesn't matter either.

Sheesh :banghead

The discussion is not about...philbytx

But the topic has any number of interesting aspects, some of which have been explored on this thread.

And that's par for the course around here, anyway...:laugh

But the topic has any number of interesting aspects, some of which have been explored on this thread.

And that's par for the course around here, anyway...:laugh

rinty's right. if you're going to post up threads here, you have to be okay with birthing your child, letting it grow (not necessarily in the direction you intended)... and be prepared for its being hijacked by bandits!!

The discussion is not about the RT being faster or slower than X, it's about me knowing the handling, braking and general performance of my ride at the upper limits of the bikes envelope.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, or in this case a mule (hopefully not a rented mule) to death, can you explain how abusing your bikes motor and drive train at its "upper limits" has anything to do with knowing its handling, braking, and general performance? Let me guess....your taking it up to 129 and then seeing how many feet it takes to stop just in case your doing 129 in traffic? Do you take corners at 129? Somehow I missed this chapter in Proficient Motorcycling.

Last edited:
IMHO - You truly are a "wanker of the first water"!

You've already beat it to death...now you want to decimate it...got to bed willya?

At the risk of beating a dead horse, or in this case a mule (hopefully not a rented mule) to death, can you explain how abusing your bikes motor and drive train at its "upper limits" has anything to do with knowing its handling, braking, and general performance? Let me guess....your taking it up to 129 and then seeing how many feet it takes to stop just in case your doing 129 in traffic? Do you take corners at 129? Somehow I missed this chapter in Proficient Motorcycling.

RT top speed

This thread is already up to a view count of almost 2,000, on a technical topic, over a period of just two months.

It doesn't get much better than that. :)

Last edited:
This thread is already up to a view count of almost 2,000, on a technical topic, over a period of just two months.

It doesn't get much better than that. :)

Most likely the same dozen folks looking at this post several hundred times.

This mule is dead.

aconcagua_dead_mule.jpg

04 R1150RT vs. the average 600cc sport bike

Being the owner of an 04 R1150 RT I would have to disagree regarding the average 600cc sport bike being a better bike than the RT. I find I can easily out run most sport bike riders in the twisties. They may have the horsepower but they don't tend to have the know how when it comes to turning a motorcycle. Most sport bike riders like to go fast in a straight line and tend to slow down in the corners. While the Rt is only good for about 125-135- tops, it is my favorite bike in the corners. I have taken it on track days and had lots of fun keeping liter sport bikes at bay in the corners only being passed in the long straights.
My feelings are it's not horsepower but suspension and tires that makes the bike. By the way. My RT has Ohlins front and rear with Z6 metzlers. :thumb

Now you've done it !!

The board "behaviour police" will now admonish you:dance

Being the owner of an 04 R1150 RT I would have to disagree regarding the average 600cc sport bike being a better bike than the RT. I find I can easily out run most sport bike riders in the twisties. They may have the horsepower but they don't tend to have the know how when it comes to turning a motorcycle. Most sport bike riders like to go fast in a straight line and tend to slow down in the corners. While the Rt is only good for about 125-135- tops, it is my favorite bike in the corners. I have taken it on track days and had lots of fun keeping liter sport bikes at bay in the corners only being passed in the long straights.
My feelings are it's not horsepower but suspension and tires that makes the bike. By the way. My RT has Ohlins front and rear with Z6 metzlers. :thumb

My guess is your one hell of a dancer with a fat women. :dance Maybe you should think about entering your RT in World Superbike.:thumb

In all seriousness, I watched last years Daytona 200 in turn one. A couple BMW 130+ HP HP2 Sports finishing in the top 10 against 600cc restricted Japanese fours. All were amazed. At double the displacement and triple the cost, the most powerful boxers ever made could not defeat 600cc Japanese motorcycles that are not a far cry from stock. I have three BMWs and I wasn't impressed. Whatever lap times you can do on your rented mule, you can surely do much better on any of the modern 600cc sportbikes.

Last edited:
Check out page 14 in this month's "ON".

My guess is your one hell of a dancer with a fat women. :dance Maybe you should think about entering your RT in World Superbike.:thumb

In all seriousness, I watched last years Daytona 200 in turn one. A couple BMW 130+ HP HP2 Sports finishing in the top 10 against 600cc restricted Japanese fours. All were amazed. At double the displacement and triple the cost, the most powerful boxers ever made could not defeat 600cc Japanese motorcycles that are not a far cry from stock. I have three BMWs and I wasn't impressed. Whatever lap times you can do on your rented mule, you can surely do much better on any of the modern 600cc sportbikes.
Sure the sportbikes are fast. They're high rev machines with nearly race bike performance. I'll take a torquey bike anyday such as a Duc or a Beemer if I am going to ride the twisties. Like that useful midrange! Top speed? (The question this thread started with.) Give me a large displacement sport bike! Check out the little lady on page 14 of this month's mag.

Sure the sportbikes are fast. They're high rev machines with nearly race bike performance. I'll take a torquey bike anyday such as a Duc or a Beemer if I am going to ride the twisties. Like that useful midrange! Top speed? (The question this thread started with.) Give me a large displacement sport bike! Check out the little lady on page 14 of this month's mag.

I own three BMWs to include an RT and a Ducati. Take my word for it, a BMW RT is not in the same league when it comes to handling in the twisties. It doesn't corner as well, no where close to the acceleration, and outweighs my Ducati by almost 200 lbs. My Ducati by the way has no red line, since it has no valve springs. It easily revs to numbers well beyond the redline of an RT. By the way, the young lady on page 14 clearly shows why the RT is not capable of keeping pace with a sport bike. She's within inches of scrapping the valve covers at speeds that are not all that impressive. You simply can't lean the RT over in the corners far enough to take advantage of new tire compounds.

Last edited:
Back