• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

top speed R1150RT-04

1aretea

What is the top speed of these bikes? My GPS tells me 113 mph, I'm in 6th gear and about 6000 rpms. The motor doesn't pull much more, plus I run out road before the next turn. Do I need a couple of miles to redline it? My bike is in a perfect state of tune, with 61,000 miles. I live Below Sarasota, Fl. And on the weekend I race around the back roads with the Sarasota Riders and the group from Fuel Cafe. Side note, my bike runs so much better after good day of riding it like I stole it. Any information would be great!

6th gear is not a pulling gear. I don't know what the top speed is but, drop down to 5th and then try.

Dave Faria
Austin, Tx

What is the top speed of these bikes? My GPS tells me 113 mph, I'm in 6th gear and about 6000 rpms. The motor doesn't pull much more, plus I run out road before the next turn. Do I need a couple of miles to redline it? My bike is in a perfect state of tune, with 61,000 miles. I live Below Sarasota, Fl. And on the weekend I race around the back roads with the Sarasota Riders and the group from Fuel Cafe. Side note, my bike runs so much better after good day of riding it like I stole it. Any information would be great!

On our '04 2-up loaded 125mph on the Speedo and 118mph on the GPS downhill with 58k mi.

This was performed under carefully controlled conditions, on a closed road, obeying all appropriate laws. :whistle

On my 04 RT I once read 120 +/- on a long gradual up grade road. Didn't have my GPS at the time and I do not remember the RPM's. 6th gear is not for hard exceleration, drop down to 5th. I agree, the oilhead engine does not like to be lugging around. Run's good after a hard run, and cool days though I guess you don't get many of those down there. ;)

Last edited:
On our '04 2-up loaded 125mph on the Speedo and 118mph on the GPS downhill with 58k mi.

This was performed under carefully controlled conditions, on a closed road, obeying all appropriate laws. :whistle

Wow. that's a huge error. I don't have GPS. I thought is registered about 2-3 mph slow at 70. Is the error linear or not?
aaaaaa:coffee

Wow. that's a huge error. I don't have GPS. I thought is registered about 2-3 mph slow at 70. Is the error linear or not?
aaaaaa:coffee

It is linear on mine. Speedo shows 75 and really going 71/72 mph. Same at 85, GPS shows 80 - 82 mph. Should help in not getting tickets.

Hi 1aretea:

You're getting a bit of flack over this!

My manual states that my R1100RS will go 215KPH without a passenger. That's about 130MPH. I'd expect your 1150 to do better. I think it's lighter and I'm sure it has more power.

I think you can trust the manual. Safer too. Stuff happens. Try not to let it happen to you.

yeah, get a grip folks... sometimes I wonder about folks passing judgement... if you cannot answer the question, no need to respond. I agree you need to be careful but I do not pretend to understand the conditions someone else is riding in. I've seen some very senile folks driving 20 mph that I would take a license away from much quicker than any fast driving fool.

I have gotten the bike up to 131 mph (corrected for with gps) in NYC rush hour traffic (joking).... actually, I did get it up to that on a closed off area... basically flatlands riding... probably the max you'll ever get unless you drop it from a plane.

top speed

Motorcycle News reports a top speed of 130 m.p.h.

I never topped out my R 1150 RS, but it would hit 200 km/hr easy, with lots of throttle left.

Just my opinion, but there are places and times where these little sprints can be done safely.

136 indicated.

129 actual

Anyone who tells you to "take it to the track" has never ridden across Nevada.:evil

Didn't think I would get so much action from the " top speed question" so no more 6th gear WFO, but in the turns I'm going to double the posted speed!

Anyone who tells you to "take it to the track" has never ridden across Nevada.:evil

Well... I have ridden across Nevada, and Utah, and New Mexico, and I still advocate taking it to the track.

Yeah, I've cracked the ton What fool hasn't?

But I still stand by my advice - slow down on public roads. I'm not passing judgement or condemning. A guy will do what he wants.

It's just a bit of advice from one club member to another, nothing more, nothing less.

Faaassst!

I've had my '94 R1100RSL up to an indicated 115 mph. There was plenty more on tap. But, frankly I am not much interested, as torque, or useful midrange is more important to me. I've hit about 110 on my 'ol '78 R100RS. But.....at speeds in excess of 90 mph or so it takes a LONG time to get things slowed down, even on a modern motorcycle such as your RT. Only do it where you think it safe. A track is, of course, best. I saw a photo where a new rider on a sport bike collided with a V.W. Golf. The rider was estimated to traveling at around 150 mph. He hit the V.W. as it crossed an intersection and his motorcycle,with him aboard, wound up in the passenger compartment, killing himself and the two occupants of the V.W.....food for thought.

My owners manual says 125 for top speed on a 99 RT. I've never tried mine on top speed, things happen way too fast for me to go that fast...

I don't mind passing judgement. It's crap like this that endangers our families when they're out on the road just going about their business.

Sorry for being very blunt about this: If you are stupid enough to try to find the top speed of your motorcycle, do it on a bike that really goes fast and make it worth it. The BMW RT is not fast enough.:doh

What you are really saying is "you are stupid for trying to top out on a slower bike, but if you are smart like 4nr you'll top out on a really fast bike"

Your logic is typical of the masses:laugh

Back