• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lot's of noise using phone thru zumo 550

beeryboats

I seem to be sending a lot of background noise from cell when using the Zumo 550 with bluetooth and my J&M Intergrater IV intercom. The bike wasn't even running and the wife could barely understand me on the phone. Sierra Electronics suggested I hard wire everything to the bike, but that is quite a job. Plus I like being able to unplug everything and take it out of the rain.
Any ideas out there?
Jay

The Zumo has two bluetooths. One connects to your phone's bluetooth and the other to a second bluetooth module which is either built in (not familiar with J&M) or hooks up to your J&M. Referring to the attached photo of the Zumo, you should see two symbols in the left hand corner of the Zumo when communicating properly. The one that looks like a telephone handle is your cell phone while the earphone symbol is that second module.

The static problem is most likely not your Zumo. In fact I'm told that it sounds better than hand held when I talk using the Zumo connected through Autocom.
When working properly, you should be able to hold a conversation at 70MPH. At zero speed it should be crystal clear.

You might want to test a second blue tooth phone by pairing to your Zumo to eliminate any issue with the phone you're using. If it's ignition noise, you should hear it in your head phones, but the caller shouldn't be picking that up.

Attachments

• zumo.jpg
    zumo.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 274
The Zumo has two bluetooths. One connects to your phone's bluetooth and the other to a second bluetooth module which is either built in (not familiar with J&M) or hooks up to your J&M. Referring to the attached photo of the Zumo, you should see two symbols in the left hand corner of the Zumo when communicating properly. The one that looks like a telephone handle is your cell phone while the earphone symbol is that second module.

The static problem is most likely not your Zumo. In fact I'm told that it sounds better than hand held when I talk using the Zumo connected through Autocom.
When working properly, you should be able to hold a conversation at 70MPH. At zero speed it should be crystal clear.

You might want to test a second blue tooth phone by pairing to your Zumo to eliminate any issue with the phone you're using. If it's ignition noise, you should hear it in your head phones, but the caller shouldn't be picking that up.

The intercom and the zumo are hard wired together. He said that because both units are powered from the powerport on the panel through a splitter I'm getting this noise.

Jay, I'll take a stab because I've spent much time on exactly this issue. Sorry I have no experience with the J&M product but I did look it up. Looks like you are using an interface cable between Zumo and the J&M box (#JM-JMSR-AC26). I tried a similar interface cable and had poor results w/ Autocom, very noisy and echo. Currently I bluetooth an Autocom Dongle for the "headset" connection to Zumo and then bluetooth the phone, works great @ 70+mph. Like RTRandy said there are two Bluetooths connections but this does not apply to your setup. Some have been successful w/ the Zumo interface cables but since outside variables are different on other bikes the interface cable becomes an interference cable. If there is an interface cable used I would bet that's the source of your gremlins. The only other thing I can think of is phone compatibility w/ zumo. My friend and I noticed phones listed as compatible were not always the best for Zumo. The phones we use now are not on Zumo's list and work the best for us. Have you updated Zumo software w/ Web Updater? There have been bluetooth updates.
-Howard

My Current Zumo software versions:
3252598021_9c2b11066c_m.jpg

Jay-

I bet it's ground-loop interference. Try unplugging the Zumo power from the bike and use it on it's internal battery. If the noise goes away, then you'll know.

Back