• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Exhaust Wrap

C

criminaldesign

Any knowledge on the stuff?

I found a previous thread but not much to it.

My pipes are showing their 21 years of age, especially the cross section in front of the motor. I figured the wrap would be a cheap alternative to new pipes.

Would the extra insulated heat not be a good idea on older pipes?

Any other pros and cons?

Thanks, Houston

You ask a very good question. I've been wondering the same thing. On my 99 RT if I let it idle too long, it bubbles the paint behind the pipes. I thought of using exhaust wrap to contain some of the heat. I have seen it used before on older Harleys Etc. I suppose its the same wrap you can buy at most Auto Part Stores. I'll be waiting with you for more input on this subject. :lurk

I just put some on my RT. I installed PIAAs using the Hawk mounts on the cylinder heads and the lights are close to the exhaust. I wrapped the pipes and insulated the wiring as well. Haven't ridden due to weather so I'm interest in input as well. I've read that the wrap will permanently mark the pipes.

We've used it on hot rod headers for as long as I can remember. It keeps heat in for continued combustion of unburnt fuel as it leaves the engine, but that's become moot on cars since catalytic converters were added. The other thing it helps with is reducing heat off the pipes, if you've ever been to the dragstrip you'll see lots of guys working on hot engines, it might prevent some burns.

The thing is, this stuff has a tendency to accelerate rust. If your pipes are already starting to deteriorate, it may look good for a while but be making things worse underneath.

When I built my latest engine (Ford Mustang) I ponied up for ceramic coating instead, it serves the same purpose but looks better and extends pipe life.

The thing is, this stuff has a tendency to accelerate rust. If your pipes are already starting to deteriorate, it may look good for a while but be making things worse underneath.

Thanks Bob, that settles that. No need to push it along right?
Does the material retain water which literally sets on the pipe?

h

I repowred my garden tractor. The old exhaust went out the front but the new engine has duel exhaust out both sides on the back, right next to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. The heat was so bad that the hydraulic fluid was boiling. I wrapped the exhaust pipes with wrap and that solved the problem.

Thanks Bob, that settles that. No need to push it along right?
Does the material retain water which literally sets on the pipe?

h

You might think that it should be dry because of the engine heat, but that's the problem. It gets so dry when hot that when it's cool it absorbs moisture from the air, just like a cracker left out on your kitchen counter will get "stale"... So between rides the stuff will hold a certain amount of moisture against the pipe.

Have you though about having thee pipes ceramic coated? Coated on the inside and outside reduces the heat the pipes put off. They have a near chrome that's hard to tell from chrome.

Ralph Sims

If you have the money, the ceramic coating is the way to go. Otherwise the exhaust wrap is a great alternative. If you start to do it, make sure you get the stainless clamps and the silicone spray. The spray keeps it looking nice longer and makes it resist some of the water that may land on it.

I've seen kits with the silicone spray. Acts as a second coating and ups the heat insulation correct? From what I found the wrap alone is 1200F and the spray takes it up to 2000F. I also came across what claimed to be pre coated wrap.

I would definitely consider the coating with new pipes but I'm going to stick with what I got for the time being. I should check the exhaust nuts and see if they decide to come loose or prepare for some serious masking for the silicone spray if I decide to wrap.

I may leave well enough alone for the time being.

decisions decisions...

Silicon spray? Special stuff or is it something one can find easily?

The stuff is all over ebay and I would guess you can find it at auto parts stores. Match to the color of the wrap.

I think the exhaust wrap looks cool on bobbers and cafe bikes. I like the old school look of it. Hope to build a cafe/bobber in the future and use the wrap on that bike. I have several sets of old and scuffed up exhaust headers, perfect candidates for the wrap.

We've used it on hot rod headers for as long as I can remember. It keeps heat in for continued combustion of unburnt fuel as it leaves the engine, but that's become moot on cars since catalytic converters were added. The other thing it helps with is reducing heat off the pipes, if you've ever been to the dragstrip you'll see lots of guys working on hot engines, it might prevent some burns.

When I built my latest engine (Ford Mustang) I ponied up for ceramic coating instead, it serves the same purpose but looks better and extends pipe life.

I don't know about your pipes but mine are Stainless Steel and should not rust...

Back