• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

State flower: Bluebonnet

483635033_KxK7T-XL.jpg

--State flower: Bluebonnet
--Texas boasts more than 5,000 species of wildflowers

The bluebonnet is to Texas :jose
The tulip is to Holland
The shamrock is to Ireland​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .blooming yucca plant

483957622_bGLde-X3.jpg

I did some hiking to photograph this yucca, as it was the first nice blooming yucca plant that I have seen on this trip.

I knew if I climbed down in that valley, I would see many more yucca plants on this trip. . .

But . . .

I also knew if I didn't climbed down in that valley this would of been the only blooming yucca plant I would see on this trip ;)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Gun Slinging in the Wild West

483972736_aKxUe-XL.jpg

Contrabando movie set is a abandoned movie set which depicts a classic rural Mexican village.

The set was constructed in 1985 for the western comedy "Uphill all the Way", starring Roy Clark, Mel Tillis and Burle Ives. :thumb Since that time nine different movies have been made at the abandoned Contrabando movie set

"Rio Diablo" (1993), "Gambler V" (1994), "My Maria" (1995), "Dead Man's Walk" (1995), "Streets of Laredo"(1995) and "The Journeyman" (1999) were partly filmed here :nra

483974866_UoiMB-XL.jpg

483981978_k9rgR-XL.jpg

Yes, did see many BlueBonnets in bloom.
If had more time would have liked to see many of the spots you've been visiting. thanks for the photo's!

Ranch Road 170 - Presidio to Study Butte/Terlingua, Texas

483644488_nfmXg-XL.jpg

Ranch Road (RR)170 - Presidio to Study Butte/Terlingua, Texas
Prettiest road in Texas some say. I would rate it in the "Top Three"​

483959322_7kStb-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . .Part food stand, part roadside attraction

483987369_TJGB3-XL.jpg

Kathy's Kozmic Kowgirl Kafe
http://kosmickowgirl.com/

A local al fresco eatery icon. Part food stand, part roadside attraction. Kathy and here eatery are decked in "Pink" for some true local color.

I had a breakfast burritos and coffee each morning when I was at Uncle Roger's. Kathy's burrito and coffee were awesome.:eat

This is the place the dual sport, road and adventure motorcyclist meet each morning before riding.​

483969703_sDw52-XL.jpg

483975152_BB6ZZ-XL.jpg

Passing Wind - Terlingua, Texas

483981669_HTtiz-XL.jpg

Passing Wind (a private residence) :scratch
proving their is nuthin' normal 'bout
Terlingua/Study Butte, Texas​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ÔÇ£Reverse SunsetÔÇØ

483985080_S5nDy-XL.jpg

Above:
The Porch and the Starlight Theater

Terlingua, Texas

Below:
“Reverse Sunset”
Chisos Mountains

Uncle Roger and a group of locals meet most every evening on the Porch to watch the "reverse sunset".

The sunset reflects off Big Bend’s Chisos Mountains to the southeast, but the sun drops down behind the porch. :scratch

This is the place the dual sport, road and adventure motorcyclist meet each evening after riding. :thumb
483985750_RehNQ-XL.jpg

Really worth the wait for these shots & report!

Don't stop, Beer Team, this is so great! :dance :dance :dance :dance

I dream of living in or around Marfa someday (ever since I passed through it last fall on my K-bike) and this is really inspiring.

My favorite Ride Report of all time, bar none. :whistle

Do keep up the good work. Thank you!

:usa (in lieu of a Texas flag smilie)

P&V Ranch and the Cowhead Ranch

484034902_qH2ZR-X3.jpg

Above:
Sunset at Paul & Voni's Ranch
The windmill is a old time electrical generator. It is now retired. Paul said it's only function is "Texas Yard Art".

And yes those are mountain in the background. Just like the Big Bend park they have first rate jeep/dual sport roads. Did I mention Paul & Voni now own true dual sport bikes. Voni and I even took a short D/S ride down to Ara's :wave oasis in the desert.

It was exciting to see the B-1 Bomber makes a daily pass over nearby 9 points Mesa, but guessing if it went over my house daily, after a year or two I may get tired of watching the practice runs.:dunno

Below:
Cowhead Ranch in Big Bend Country
GPS Coordinates N29 39.991 W103 35.218
Paul & Voni invited me to a chuck wagon dinner at The Cowhead Ranch. The Cowhead Ranch is across the street from P&V and I have to say is a first rate place if you are into the Western or motorcycle scene. Cowboy's Chris had as many bikers staying there as real cowboys, kinda City Slickers meets motorcycle camp.

Later at night, two very talented wordsmiths had a informal Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering. :thumb Hey, you never know what will come to you when you are on that road looking for adventure.

482756504_EtRhm-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Old Ore Road, BB Park

483998173_dpM5b-X3.jpg

Above:
The Old Ore Road.
You will note that spiny thorn bush at the end of my feet. Well they are here and there on the trail and they are always aimed at the opening in your helmet. One of the thorn bushes wacked and grabbed my jacket pretty hard.

Did I mention dust everywhere?

Below:
Old Ore Road
High Clearance 4 wheel drive recommended
I've got a story about this trail. I meet this guy and I ask him why he is walking. He explained to me that he bottomed out his Chevy Lumina and cracked open the tranny and lost all his oil. Later on the trail I saw the oil and aluminum drags. :dunno

I got to the other end, and he and his car were at the trading post with the tow truck pulling.

I told him that his wife is not going to be happy about the car and the 500 buck tow bill. He explained to me no problem with the wife as he has none, but he didn't think the car rental company will be very happy. :deal

Oh, and about those thorn bushes, that are on every corner. When you are in tow the car follows behind and both side the paint job was keyed near 50 times the full length of the car

483985582_y4fRG-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . .Pack train route from Mexico to Marathon

483990255_qX5zt-XL.jpg

Old Ore Road
26 miles
Used in the early Twentieth Century to transport ore from Mexican mines to the railroad station at Marathon, the Old Ore Road follows the route used by mule and pack trains over one hundred years ago. The road provides great views of the Chisos Mountains across the Tornillo Creek drainage to the west. The Ernst Tinaja is located about five miles from the south end of the road.

Passing thru the foothills of the Dead Horse Mountains, the Old Ore Road requires a high-clearance vehicle and four-wheel drive is highly recommended due to rugged terrain.​

483989149_JzCyV-XL.jpg

483987567_jSyJH-XL.jpg

Back