• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

This route has my name on it! I plan on coming to the US in '12 with my own bike (from Holland) and tour the country for some time. I'm looking for great routes to get the 'poor lonesome cowboy and a long way from home' feeling. This seems very appropiate. I did enough gravel/dirt roads om my RT (I dubbed it a RT-Adventure) so it shouldn't be a problem. I only need to avoid the deep sand.

Is there any way to get a more detailed description of the route? I'm trying to piece it together from the report, but if you have some stuff like a GPS track or whatever, it would make my life a lot easier. Although finding great routes is half the fun of traveling.

What are recommended maps to take with me for travelling in the US by the way? I have Garmin Z??mo but I can see in MapSource that a lot of backroads are missing. And a paper map is always good to keep handy, and much easier to ask for directions than a tiny screen.

This RR is great stuff! I hope I can do equally good on my RR of my coming road trip through the US next year.

Welcome to the MOA Mike,

You can send a PM to BeerTeam and he might be able to help...

he had one of these with him if I remember correctly...the MAPSCO folks bought out the previous publisher ...he passed thru here a couple of times marking up a plan. This map comes in a large and compact(letter size) format...if you can handle the 11" X 15" larger version in your luggage it is easier to read the smaller roads. A standard Texas Highways roadmap will not get you to some of his finds! I am on my 3rd or 4th version.

Good luck with your travel plans...give us a shout if you make it this way on your travels.

Attachments

• Roads of Texas Map.gif
    Roads of Texas Map.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 132
Landmark Dubina Piano bridge update

On Page 6 of BeerTeams report is a picture of his bike on the circa 1885 Piano Bridge at Dubina...we just went out there today to find it blocked at both ends now with welded bar across the ends...No more driving across it seems for who knows how long. Sad as it's days as passable are most likely over. Still a nice trip to walk on it and hear the steel creak on the east end where BeerTeams bike was sitting.
We came in from the west side off of FM 615 as FM 1383 was under major rehab with no pavement between Ammansville and Dubina...slick caliche as they were watering it down.

And for those of you that have not visited the Painted Churches in this area between Schulenburg and LaGrange in person...Jim's pictures are breathtaking...the up close personal views inside are even more so...wow! :thumb

Attachments

• Painted Churches Scout MAR72011 (64).jpg
    Painted Churches Scout MAR72011 (64).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 103
Wrong line of work or retirement

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Me thinks you should be selling postcards or advertising. On another subject, take care and be safe on your rides.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryan-College Station Texas

IMG_2921-X3.jpg

Carnegie public library
Main Street
downtown Bryan, Texas

Treasured Moments
Sculptor: Lynn Haste
Installation Date: 5 May 2007

The sculpture is a depiction of Andrew Carnegie reading a book to two children.
It is one of two historical pieces in the public art collection.
Bryan Bombers in front of the La Salle in downtown Bryan is the other one

IMG_2908-XL.jpg

The Man Who Dies Thus Rich Dies Disgraced

Andrew Carnegie felt that the best use of a manÔÇÖs riches is to donate them while he has control of them,
not endow them to his children
:thumb
it is much easier for money to corrupt a child than it is to help them succeed

Carnegie died in 1919, He had already given away $350,695,653 (approximately $4.8 billion, adjusted to 2010 figures) of his wealth.
At his death, his last $30,000,000 was given to foundations, charities, and to pensioners

wikipedia/Andrew_Carnegie

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryan-College Station Texas

IMG_2905-X3.jpg

Queen Theatre
next-door to the
LA SALLE HOTEL, downtown Byron TEXAS

Bryan Bombers
(The Bryan Bombers were a circa 1940s semi-pro baseball team in Bryan, Texas)
Sculptor: Lynn Haste
November 2005
Main Street in front of the La Salle Hotel

IMG_2915-X3.jpg

Back