• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

BeerTeam

Ambassador
465968639_HoBNR-XL.jpg

465972849_odBpD-XL.jpg

Great camping at Steele Creek Park on Whitney Lake,Texas This is a no fee camping area.

Whitney Lake Texas

465958518_pet6A-XL.jpg

Morning cowboy coffee​
465971868_UF8Xo-XL.jpg

Things are slow at work, so I ask my bud Papple if he would transfer my GS down South. His itinerary was Florida to Texas.

Texas is where I want to be, as Henzilla's Hill Country ride report had me jealous and yearning of warm winter riding. I had a 100 degree temperature swing (minus 15 to mid 80's) in just a few short days.
465958606_UCCyS-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Whitney Lake fishing barge

465912066_U4Q5e-XL.jpg

Whitney Lake fishing barge
This barge had great breakfast and you could fish all day for 4 bucks, but riding still sounded like the thing to do.​

Most excellent report and beautiful pix! Welcome to Texas - it's like a whole 'nuther country! Great to hear about the free camping available at Lake Whitney. Hope you enjoy your stay - ride safe.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Meridian Texas town square

465976179_wKeuN-XL.jpg

Bosque County Courthouse

Meridian, Texas

100 year old First National Bank​

465982052_vd7ws-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Regency Bridge

465992855_m4GMf-X3.jpg

The Regency Suspension Bridge spans 340 feet from tower to tower. Both cables are pulled tight for another 134 feet behind each tower where they are anchored into the ground. The towers rise approximately 30 feet above the bridge floor. Maximum sag in the cable was not to exceed 7 feet above the floor of the bridge. The bridge stands 25 feet above the recorded high water level of the Colorado River at Regency. The flooring for the bridge was constructed with 4 by 12 inch lengths of lumber​

465987060_cKdL3-X3.jpg

465918353_or8hL-XL.jpg

. . . . . . ÔÇ£Hidden in the heart of Texas thereÔÇÖs a swinging bridge waiting on you.ÔÇØ

465958719_u46md-XL.jpg

White Wolf Trading Post adjacent to the historic Regency wooden suspension bridge and Alton Watson will be happy to sing a song for you and visit awhile. Fourteen miles north west of San Saba Texas, right off FM500 is a special place simply known as, Regency. It is the place where the multi-talented Alton can be found every day of the year tending his wolves and writing fantastic original music. Having performed with Stephen Bruton, Arlo Guthrie, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Joe Shaver, and Hank Williams Jr. a person would think Alton would lack interest in the simple joy that an original song can bring to the average visitor at his trading postthat notion couldnt be further from the truth.

Alton Watson original musical composition, Swinging Bridge, that was featured prominently in the 2000 independent major motion picture, World Without Waves, intonesHidden in the heart of Texas theres a swinging bridge waiting on you.

This song writer/singer was very good. I enjoyed my visit with Alton, but I needed to get some riding in.

Click on the link below, and open a new window and listen to his songs while you view the photos:

The Swinging Bridge Man
Swinging Bridge Man

465991507_MioFR-XL.jpg

Lower Colorado River viewed from the historic Regency wooden suspension bridge​

Regency Bridge

465988644_nmKnr-X3.jpg

465916199_rPxF5-XL.jpg

Those are some great photos -- thanks for posting them. What kind of camera are you using?

All photos taken with cheap, older Canon PowerShot A610 or a S70 point and shot camera. I rarely shot on Auto Mode or do any post photo processing.​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A True Texas Gem

465962295_uKAHA-XL.jpg

465973215_vrRzD-XL.jpg

Alton told me the first bridge was built in 1903, serving farmers and market. The bridge fell in 1924 as a young boy was driving his cattle, killing the boy and his cattle.

The next bridge was demolished by a 1936 flood. The Regency Suspension Bridge was erected in 1939 built with most of the work done by local hand labor and this bridge was 25 feet higher than the highest recorded flood.

Alton, and many other Texans told me that it has been a year since the last measurable rainfall. Alton, like many other Texans have a water collection system.

I asked Alton, How this recession was effecting him. His response is that it was not any big deal, as he has a garden, and lives as much off the land as the original river folks have done for generations,:thumb

Regency is true Texas gem, and in my feelings ranks up there with Luckenbach.
The Bridge does not have that much life left in it, so if you are in the Goldthwaite/San Saba try to give it a visit, you will be glad you did.​

465978064_YbZtp-XL.jpg

Last edited:
San Saba Texas

465918799_Abrsw-X3.jpg

San Saba County Texas Courthouse

"Pecan Capital of the World!"

Pecans are indigenous to the county and have been a cash crop since as early as 1857​

465992703_S5eiA-XL.jpg

San Saba's (100% Marble) First Methodist Church

The text on the Texas historical marker reads:

"Organized 1856 in area so wild that church gave missionary a $50 revolver, $125 horse. On this site, first frame church, 1882. Present building, 1914-1919. San Saba marble. Said to be the only all-marble Methodist church in U.S."​

San Saba Texas

465993489_a3MJH-X3.jpg

San Saba County Texas Jail, circa 1884, still serving its original purpose. Now that is what I call fiscal conservative!​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Llano, Texas

465919865_9ZtcY-X3-1.jpg

Located in the center of Llano's historic square, the courthouse was built in 1893. It is one of 68 that remain of Texas Courthouses built before 1900​

465994310_cvgv6-XL.jpg

The Historic Llano, Texas ÔÇ£Red Top JailÔÇØ (1895)

The CountyÔÇÖs prisoners were housed in the building until the late 1970s

465995025_9d2wv-XL.jpg

Llano River Bridge
Nice town with a great city park with showers and a one dollar camping fee

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Road Dam

466010747_r86ch-XL.jpg

This area of Texas is in an extreme drought. With a little rain this road would be a challenge.​

465997574_FhUbi-XL.jpg

465998802_smfRv-X3.jpg

466005889_rRoVN-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Texas Slab

466025461_d3VSo-XL.jpg

The Slab
On FM 3404, 1.5 miles west of FM 1431 in Kingsland, Texas

The Slab is a spot in the Llano River where the water runs over large granite outcroppings and sandy beaches have formed. It is a popular swimming, tubing and picnicking site. The water is perfect for both wading and deeper swimming. The Slab is open to the public, but not maintained as a city park.

Some of the locals told me it gets pretty wild on warm days!

466023975_nU32j-XL.jpg

466017323_xtqzc-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 101 Texas Touring Tips

466026970_mM9qL-XL.jpg

Texas tips:

1. Stop down at the local cafe, you know the one the locals hang out at. Pull up a chair at the table next to the table that the group of locals sit at. Pull out your maps and then ask the locals which roads to ride. The locals will always ask "where you wanna go". Just tell them you want to ride their favorite roads and you don't care if the road ends back where it started, as long as it is their favorite.

That is the way I found the Swinging Bridge and the Slab, there were just local favorites.

Now when I got to the slab, I stopped back for coffee, and asked for directions to the Enchanted Rock. I was told "you can't get there from here, unless you want to take about 30 miles of dirt, water crossings and be out in the middle of a 5 thousand acre ranch by yourself. You don't want to be out there on a motorsackle".
:bolt

466046152_LwMm8-XL.jpg

466029779_eeghv-XL.jpg

466043742_XXsKW-XL.jpg

466048249_7Uhak-XL.jpg

Back