• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Caliche

466050034_jJpvP-X3.jpg

Texas tip:

2. The locals told me many area roads were made of "Caliche".
:thumb

Caliche (mineral)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caliche is a sedimentary rock, a hardened deposit of calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate cements together other materials, including gravel, sand, clay, and silt. Caliche occurs worldwide, generally in arid or semi-arid regions, including in central and western Australia, in the Kalahari Desert, in the High Plains of the western USA, and in the Sonoran Desert. Caliche is also known as hardpan, calcrete, kankar (in India), or duricrust. The term caliche is Spanish and is originally from the Latin calx, meaning lime.

Caliche is generally light colored but can range from white to light pink to reddish-brown, depending on the impurities present. It is generally found on or near the surface, but it can be found in deeper subsoil deposits as well. The layers can vary from a few inches to feet thick, and multiple layers can exist in a single location.​

Enjoyed the pics

Your pictures were great. I have seen those sights many times. Ride that way anytime that I can get away from the DFW metroplex

Your pictures were great. I have seen those sights many times. Ride that way anytime that I can get away from the DFW metroplex

Thanks, great area especially on a 80 degree January day. I guess it would have a slightly different feel in July! :)

466044326_m5vU3-X3.jpg

466047171_3FCQq-XL.jpg

I rode down this ole donkey pass, but it just dead ended at the canyon and I had to turn around :dunno

466041925_d7U5M-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . .Rock fences = Heritage landscape

466040065_MVa7m-XL.jpg

Texas Tip:

In the Hill Country these fences are popularly known as “German fences,”

Although most of them are only 3 or 4 feet tall, they will keep cows in

Most stone walls you see are close to 100 years old

Farmers had to get the rocks out of the fields so they could plow,

serve as a place to put the rocks as they were cleared from the fields

marking boundary lines

The stone walls were built without mortar

Some of the rock has been taken away to build buildings

Sometimes in remote areas, the rocks are stolen

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Enchanted Rock

and asked for directions to the Enchanted Rock. I was told "you can't get there from here, unless you want to take about 30 miles of dirt, water crossings and be out in the middle of a 5 thousand acre ranch by yourself. You don't want to be out there on a motorsackle".
:bolt

And I told him, "That's where I want to be on my motorsackle"

466064958_oWy5c-XL.jpg

and as the saying goes, It's not the destination, but the journey :thumb

466070078_d4Qfd-XL.jpg

465925792_JsGUR-XL.jpg

Enchanted Rock, Tx

Enchanted Rock was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1970 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The Rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, that rises 425 feet above ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States.

It is the second largest such granite monadnock in the United States after Stone Mountain in Georgia.​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Texas Hill Country

466057350_j9E8g-XL.jpg

Hanger Hotel
Fredricksburg, Texas

I found this spot, which steps back in time, on Henzilla's ride report.

The WW-2 style hotel, conference center and a 1940 dinner (great food) are all copied from a Pacific Air Base, Nice​

466060122_YvfYX-XL.jpg

466061273_N6JZn-XL.jpg

466063239_QNfDT-X3.jpg

Fredricksburg, Texas

This is a famous Texas town. Fredricksburg a fine town, but not my cup a tea as I am into the small rural towns.

The town did bring back memories of our BMW National we had there in 1997. I camp just a short distance from where a camped in what felt like years ago. I peeked in the building that we had the Beer Garden and it felt like just yesterday.:scratch

Below: Fredricksburg Brewery

466065390_WbJNJ-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Twisted Sisters

466027437_boVRJ-XL.jpg

Texas Hill Country, Twisted Sisters

"Twisted Sisters" or "The Three Sisters" as the locals call it are rated as the Hill country and arguable in all of Texas best paved roads. Motorcycling magazine Ride Texas rates these three the best of roads in Texas for motorcycles, Ranch Road 335, 336 and 337. Sisters consist of a loop of about 180 miles of big hills, sharp curves and the best views around. One of my favorite section being from Vanderpool to Leakey (pronounced LAY-key) :scratch Texas.​

466008195_ziacw-XL.jpg

466010646_jZmfB-XL.jpg

466013070_g7wHV-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop

466114793_CdLQx-XL.jpg

The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop located on Ranch Road 337.Leakey, Texas has been voted #1 hangout 4 times by Ride Texas readers. The stop has been included in the top ten best hangouts since they opened in 2002.

The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop is home of the original "Three Twisted Sisters" T-shirts.
466116039_Phvhb-X3.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Nueces Canyon Gypsy M.C

466125172_2JK3X-XL.jpg

The Nueces Canyon Gypsy M.C

I had the privileged of hanging with the Gypsy Motorcycle Club while I was enjoying the 3 Sisters. Well, you say how do ya know the Gypsies? Seems the local Prez, everyone calls him "Chug", owns the local Motorcycle Campground- Rocky River Camp and the place was highly recommended by the locals in Camp Wood, Texas. Chug has a Wing for cruising and a DR650 for the dirt. Chug plays Santa Claus during the holidays, as he has the personality, white hair and beard to play the part.

When I finally left the town of Camp Wood, the Gypsies had donned their Colors and had a Club Ride and rode with me to the Frio River Motorcycle Shop, and then to a great lunch at Hill Country Diner over the mountain in Kerrville.:thumb

Rocky River Camp
751 River Rd
Campwood, TX 78833
Phone: 830-597-4239
located near Camp Wood, Texas in the Western part of the Texas Hill Country approximately 2 hours drive from San Antonio, Texas. The area, called the Nueces Canyon is often considered the Undiscovered Texas Hill Country. Flowing rivers and scenic vistas greet visitors as they traverse thru the Canyon. Abundant springs and creeks make up the Headwaters of the Nueces River, one of the clearest streams in the State.
466014886_rXyxh-XL.jpg

Fantastic ride report and pictures! :clap

I live near Bandera, and have yet to try some of those great dirt roads near Enchanted rock, but your photos have whet my appetite.

Thank you!

Fantastic ride report and pictures! :clap

I live near Bandera
, and have yet to try some of those great dirt roads near Enchanted rock, but your photos have whet my appetite.

Thank you!

Thanks, Timba

The route I took from the town of Kingsland was crossing the "Slab", continue to 308 and you get to an area called "Click". Click is a only a spot on the map. At that point I just guessed my way out of the area with the help of a local rancher. As long as you have gas and the area is dry, you will have fun exploring. When I hit Hwy 16 it was on nice small paved roads to Enchanted Rock.

I have heard that the Willow City loop is a sweet paved ride, may talk Henzilla into some riding in that area.

I missed Bandera on this Texas loop, but I may visit Bandera in the next two weeks

Jim​

Jim,

Thanks for the details on your route!

Drop me a line if/when you head to Bandera, and I'll be glad to ride with you, and buy you a diet coke during the ride, or a beer after the ride! :drink

Back