• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big 'n Tall Kerit Chair- who's in?

Discussion points pulled out by UncleHowie, whose responses are in blue:
To me, a Kermit won't be comfy unless it's scaled up in EVERY dimension.
Good feedback on various suggestions for improving the chair's dimensions. 'Nuff said.

With that in mind, how can a $100+ chair possibly compete with a $20 chair?
I've been unable to find a $20 folding chair (or $50 chair, for that matter...) that I find comfortable and durable. I may have to look at REI's offerings, as I went through a couple of el cheapo $20 chairs this last rally season. These were not massive failures from a flattened frame or anything like that, but little things- pulled aluminum rivets, cracked plastic junction blocks, etc. Parts (if needed) aren't typically readily available for the el cheapo chairs, so you are left to improvise. Chair repair is not my chosen leisure time activity, so at some point I just end up buying another chair...

If I want handcrafted charm, I'll buy a wooden canoe.
Fair enough, but funny you should use this example! I own two wooden canoes- one built by me, one built by my dad...:whistle I also own a family heirloom 1966 Alumacraft canoe, so I can't be called an elitist snob!:D

I find the arguments about other chairs being 'utilitarian' pretty hilarious. Isn't utilitarianism the thing that used to be the big draw about BMWs?
Interesting take on the BMW/utilitarian link. I do find my R1150GS to be extremely utilitarian- a versatile touring machine, which is how I use it. I also enjoy riding a bike that's somewhat out of the ordinary, so admittedly a portion of my ownership decision wasn't based strictly on practicality. Of course, there's no illusion of exclusivity (with a Kermit or a GS) at your typical BMW rally, where they're both a dime a dozen!

No offense intended if it turns your crank; I'm just callin' it like I see it.
No offense taken, as you have many valid points. If I found a $20 chair that worked for me, I'd probably be sitting in it already. It's great that we have a lot of choices available to us, and can choose what appeals to us.

I'm 6ft 4" and 245lbs and 62 years old. I find the kermit amazingly comfortable after a long ride. I thought about buying the extensions but haven't really felt the need. I bought it at the Vermont rally and I have used it several time on trips and at my granddaughters soccer games. It's more comfortable for me than the canvas folding chars you see often today.
TMMV

Wide glide

I wonder what a double wide kermit will cost. What's next, hydraulic lifters?

Breeze

I'm a larger GS rider too, looked at the kermit chair and agree it is made for others. I carry a seabag waterproof bag on the back and I put one of those newer style mesh folding camp chairs right inside or down along beside it if I am pressed for room. They're about $40 for a good one with a couple of nice pockets and beer holders but more importantly my knees are in line with or below my hips, not up at a chest level,, making for a comfortable legthly sitdown.

I've got my eye on one of the styles with the attachable foot rest, that's livin' baby! I think most GS riders are spoiled, unless you are going around the world or two up for a month, there really are no space issues. I've got a givi top trunk that I don't even use.

Back