• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

40s in MN, not a BMW on the road!

gearheadgrrrl

Well, actually there was one- My R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack. But I saw a Harley, and he didn't have any 'hack to hold the bike up on the rare slippery bits.

Are we getting soft? Used to be anytime the temp got above freezing I'd see a bunch of BMW riders on the road while the Harley riders cowered in their 4x4 pickups. Granted, the Harley riders outnumber us. But their Harleys are made of pig iron that collapses in a pile of rust at the mere mention of road salt. Our beemers are made of sturdier stuff, aluminum and "tupperware" that can laugh at anything short of some really nasty HazMat.

So let's get out there and enjoy the thaw- we have a reputation to uphold!

I rode dirt bikes in the snow!:clap :heart

My GS is in the North facing garage. and the garage and house sets at the top of a hill. I think I could get it out, but it would never make it back in because of the ice...I have about a month to go!

It was about 40 in Central IL today. I was not home so I could not ride. BUT, in preparation of my new GSA in May, I wore my new Darian pants and jacket to work Friday to start breaking them in. Mind you I drove my Avalanche to work. But I wore the suit all day, even in the office. Am I sick or what?

Here's a pic of my H-D,ON the frozen Rainy River,years back,when I was still ridin'a Harley.I rode it,till it either wouldn't start,or the snow got too deep. I don't recall ever seeing any other bikes on the road back then,Beemers,or otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_0018_640x431.jpg
    IMG_0018_640x431.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 260
not a...

gearheadgrrl:

Welcome.

When it warms up around here, you can usually hear the Harleys right away.

The Beemers are quiet, and there are fewer of them around, so you don't notice them. A week ago, even the Lamborghinis were out.

While my GS was safely slumbering...

I was out on snowmobile, instead! Gotta get some riding in before ALL the snow melts...

Rode on beautiful trails in Fillmore County. Didn't get over to Houston County, though I have in years past. It's fun to ride the Grant-in-Aid trails past Money Creek Haven and all the great places that I visit during the fabulous Hiawatha Rally (shameless plug...).

Think spring!:clap

I saw no BMW's...

In the Twin Cities of MN, I saw one Harley yesterday...that was it. I'm sure there were other bikes out there, but I didn't see them.

Mine are tucked in the garage in such a fashion that I don't really want to roll one out for just a day.

I'll be out there in March.

Welcome to the BMWMOA forums, gearheadgrrrl.

Same temps in Michigan today. I didn't see any other bikes while I was out riding, but did see one Beemer after I rode! Beautiful rare sunny day in SE Michigan. :clap :clap :clap

I rode today and yesterday. I took the RT on a 80 mile spin yesterday and it was about 50 degrees for the high. Today I rode the Harley about 115 miles and the temp got up to 64 degrees. But I'm waiting on warmer weather to do any serious riding. LOL :nyah

After subjecting the K to many a winter, and too much road salt, I retired her in favor of a beater hack. Didn't ride this weekend--too busy with work. :cry
-K

For the first winter in some time, I have not ridden since December. Missed my trip to Mexico, too, which is way better than riding in winter weather, you betcha.

Same temps in Michigan today. I didn't see any other bikes while I was out riding, but did see one Beemer after I rode! Beautiful rare sunny day in SE Michigan. :clap :clap :clap

If the rider you saw was on a silver 1200 RT wearing a hi-viz yellow jacket, it could have been me. I rode Hines drive from the bottom up to Northville. 275(S)-96 and telegraph(S) back home.

If that rider was not me then Michigan can account for at least three riders in February.

So far:rocker we win!

I thought about taking the RT out, but remembered my driveway is still under ice, :doh . It was warm enough, if I could only get to the street!
Ride safe!
Rich

For me it is more about traction than anything else. Temp really isn't an issue. I just don't trust the Metzeler 880s on ice. My driveway faces north and if it has no ice on it, I know it is safe to ride. I've ridden every month for the last 3-1/2 years except for last month. And I'm going out today before the snow hits tomorrow!

rode Sunday last, Superior, WI, 20 degrees, to test out my finally back together and fixed (I freakin' hope for good) Final Drive... Felt good...

Took Norton and Triumph out for spin 2 1/2 weeks ago. Temp high 20's. Getting hi-fives from people riding snowmoblies in ditches along U.S Hwy 2 west of Duluth, Mn. R100RT buried in shed behind son's R60/5 and wife's Kwacker w/ 2 ft snow in front of door. Got snow last nite so thinking maybe it'll sit there awhile yet.

Back