• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire changing at the national?

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Looking at the current state of my tires, I figure they'll need replacing about the time I arrive in TN. Are there facilities for tire changing (preferably where I can do it myself with guidance from those who have done it before) at the rally, or should I plan on riding a couple thousand extra miles to wear them out before leaving VT?

TIA,
Pete

If I were you I'd change them before I left. There should be tire changing at the Rally ( there was at Gillette ) but you will need to purchase your tires from them. FYI the line and wait was very long at Gillette...

tyers

I had a valve stem go bad at the national in Ohio a few years ago, I was able to buy a new tire and have it installed right there... besides if you do it yourself what are you going to do with the old tire?

Here's my dilemma. If I replace them before the rally I'll have 3000 miles plus on them by the time I get home. The cost down there can't be any higher than my local dealer, but the long lines could be an issue since that would cut into my ride time. Ride time is important.

Hmmm, maybe I should just endeavor to wear out the OE tires before leaving, then replace them at the 6k service.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looking at the current state of my tires, I figure they'll need replacing about the time I arrive in TN. Are there facilities for tire changing (preferably where I can do it myself with guidance from those who have done it before) at the rally, or should I plan on riding a couple thousand extra miles to wear them out before leaving VT?

TIA,
Pete

I feel certain there will be one or more vendors that will have tires and the equipment to mount them. However as others have stated the lines are usually quite long and I am confident you will want to ride the area while you are there!
Whatever...come on down and get you some "Mountain Magic...Southern Style" :clap

Vance Harrelson
2009 Rally Chair

Personally,if my buddy the tire Nazi will be there,I'll be getting him to spoon a tire or 2 on for me...

If it is like Gillette, NoMar will be there demonstrating their equipment. Just go to them with your newly purchased tire and they will install it for free. Good guys, and their booth is always surrounded with onlookers.

Or, you can plan to take a run down to Knoxville..
http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=60
They have lots of tires at very competitive prices http://www.cyclegear.com/productlist.cfm?L1=5000&L2=10&L3=155
last i knew they were charging $20 for a mount and balance, if you give them your wheel. i would just pull the front wheel in a back parking area with my tool kit,, block the front end off the ground, then give them the rear (that method makes for short lines at teh tire places on-site at the rally. Things go much faster if you do the easy labor yourself.
if you call the CycleGear store in advance and arrange for a particular arrival day, you could be sure that the tire you want is waiting for you, as well as a spot in the mounting line.

Or, you can plan to take a run down to Knoxville..
http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=60
They have lots of tires at very competitive prices http://www.cyclegear.com/productlist.cfm?L1=5000&L2=10&L3=155
last i knew they were charging $20 for a mount and balance, if you give them your wheel. i would just pull the front wheel in a back parking area with my tool kit,, block the front end off the ground, then give them the rear (that method makes for short lines at teh tire places on-site at the rally. Things go much faster if you do the easy labor yourself.
if you call the CycleGear store in advance and arrange for a particular arrival day, you could be sure that the tire you want is waiting for you, as well as a spot in the mounting line.

Gotta be that rarefied air that clears the mind and makes for such perspicacity.:bow

Here's my dilemma. If I replace them before the rally I'll have 3000 miles plus on them by the time I get home. The cost down there can't be any higher than my local dealer, but the long lines could be an issue since that would cut into my ride time. Ride time is important.

Hmmm, maybe I should just endeavor to wear out the OE tires before leaving, then replace them at the 6k service.

Thanks for the feedback!

That's always the way it seems to work out. I never seem to get the full mileage out of a set. IMHO it's a PITA to find and change 'um on the road. Last time I did it was Rhinebeck back in '99. I rode out from San Diego with new tires on an R100R. They were about half gone when I got to NY. I don't think I really had a choice.
aaaaaa

Wear'em out, always!

Its not hard to get tires on the roadtrips, imo. BMW Dealers are not hard to find and I always have had good luck, if willing to take the tire/rim from the bike. If you do not want to do this, dealers will sometimes make you wait or pass on it if too busy. I've never had a wait, doing this and just did it last week in Tucson, far from home for a front tire. They worked me in immediately, as I handed them the rim and tire:). Use the tires up, its money wasted if you don't and they are not cheap anymore. Rallies, same rules apply. Randy:usa

My Rally Tire Experience

I was at Gillette and the lines were a lot longer than I wanted to wait around for during the day. So I figured I would wait till I got home to change my tires. Since I was riding solo home I was in no hurry to get out and on the road on Sunday. So on Sunday morning I went to mail all my loot home at the UPS station and I walked out of the building and by the tire changing station and they were open to help anyone out that might have a last minute problem or want to do air checks. They said they were going to stay open for most of the day. I asked if they had my tire size and they did so I went and got my bike and was in and out in 20 minutes. Absolutely no wait.

When you get to the rally check and see if the are going to be open on Sunday. If so and you are in no hurry to get on the road see if you can pre buy your tires and schedule a time for Sunday if they will let you. The rally really emptied out quickly on Sunday morning.

Tennessee Tires

TIA,
Pete

There is a MC shop near (as in a nice ride from) the campground. Ken's Cycle keeps a very good selection of tires and he has provided quick careful service for many years. Any local MC riders should be able to direct you to him.:thumb

Back