• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Scheduled maintenance questions

subagon

Hopelessly lost
I'm off to buy supplies for scheduled maintenance tomorrow. I'm lucky that there's a Airhead parts guy nearby. I'm making a long list and had a few questions to ask of the wise(r) vets :gerg .

A little bike info:

1975 R90/6. No problems I can detect. I runs & rides fine. There are a few minor points that need addressing (new tires, oil change, etc). The PO owned the bike ~15 years and put about 1000 mile/year. The last service was 18 months ago and was basically an oil change and tune up.

On to the questions:

:confused: I think I read somewhere that I should replace the 2 exhaust gasket rings on each exhaust pipe once a year. True or false?

:confused:I'm replacing the tires and have decided to mount them myself. I've ordered a Marc Parnes wheel balancer. I'm going to mount the tires by hand. If it's too hard I'll run down to Harbor Freight and get a tire changer. The wheels on the bike have both spoke and adhesive weights. :scratch Can someone explain? Do you use one or the other? Both? Are the spoke weights just for the wheels and the adhesive weights for the tires? Please enlighten me.

:confused:The tachometer needle swings +/- 500 (max) RPM whenever I hit a bump. The bigger the bump, the more deflection. At a constant RPM and a smooth road the needle holds steady. Also, any throttle input (plus or minus) will have the same effect. A friend suggested I need a new tachometer cable. :dunno What say you?

TIA

:confused: I think I read somewhere that I should replace the 2 exhaust gasket rings on each exhaust pipe once a year. True or false?

Huh? Never heard of that. I think you probably should undo the exhaust nuts and apply antiseize to the threads. Be careful when removing the nuts...it they turn and then seize up, stop...the threads are beginning to gall. You'll need cut off the nut.

The wheels on the bike have both spoke and adhesive weights. :scratch Can someone explain? Do you use one or the other? Both? Are the spoke weights just for the wheels and the adhesive weights for the tires? Please enlighten me.

You really only need one of the other. Spokes are great because you can use the weights around them...I never liked the adhesives.

:confused:The tachometer needle swings +/- 500 (max) RPM whenever I hit a bump. The bigger the bump, the more deflection. At a constant RPM and a smooth road the needle holds steady. Also, any throttle input (plus or minus) will have the same effect. A friend suggested I need a new tachometer cable.

Could be a cable. Could be the cable is not firmly attached on either end. Could also be the tach. Try some lube...I forget whether your supposed to do that or not...some BMW cables are teflon lined. If that doesn't help, move on to a new cable. Lastly, find a decent repair place...several around.

Q1: gaskets.
don't touch them. if it ain't broke...

Q2:tire & weights.
do them yourself or have a bmw shop do them.
most 'moto tire' shops have monkeys working there. do not trust them.
this is why you have "spoke and adhesive weights". monkey probably didn't see them. let me guess; all the weights are spread out all over the wheel instead of only in one spot.

Q3: tach.
500 on a bump? consider it a prime example of a fine tach working properly.
why would a cable have anything to do with that? the needle is SPRING loaded!!

danielroth is 100% correct on all points.

1. Leave exhaust alone, other than to loosen the nuts and apply antiseize. But, if they will not move, using the appropriate wrench, then just leave them alone until you need to replace exaust. They are not hurting anything if there are no leaks.

2. Remove all weights. Remove tires and install new tires. Ballance accordingly using spoke weights.

3. Tach will bounce around a bit going over bumps. As Dan said, it is spring loaded. Leave it alone.

Once all is done, get out and enjoy the ride. :clap

:ca

Thanks for the info guys. I when to Hucky's Spare Parts and Hans set me straight.

• I ended up with some antiseize for the exhaust (already had some in the toolbox).
  • A leason on wheel weights. Short story, use the spoke weights only and they are re-useable.
  • No tach cable. May be a srping in the tach. Just enjoy "viva la difference".

Back