Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CA1 Closure

CA1 Closure

As many know already, CA1 is closed for up to nine months due to the washout of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge south of Carmel. Weather Underground put out a comprehensive analysis of the roads in the area which may be helpful to those visiting that area. Here's the URL: https://www.wunderground.com/blog/we...l?entrynum=349
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Thanks, John, that's an excellent introduction to the Big Sur area.

The article says in the second-to-last paragraph that Highway 1 is open up to the now-demolished bridge. However, CalTrans' road information page still reports that northbound Highway 1 is closed to traffic at Ragged Point, about 25 miles north of Cambria. I've read on several Big Sur blogs that limited access at the Ragged Point closure is permitted to folks who live between this closure and Pfeiffer Creek.

I'd trust the CalTrans page, and conclude that the roadway north of Ragged Point is still not open for most of us.
    Last edited by dbrick; 03-25-2017 at 03:34 AM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

That is my understanding too. However, I would believe that the "closure" at Ragged Point is an unmanned closure with only signs indicating local traffic only. I don't think CHP would be manning that closure point for the next year or more. From what I've read and heard (I'm local) nine months is wildly optimistic and it is more likely to be closer to 18 months depending on several variables. Anyway, regardless, Ferguson Road is now open again, so it should be possible to ride around the closure at Big Sur via this route.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
    (Who watches the watchers)

wanderer
    My wife and I are leaving the snow to go to LA and ride up Rt 1 April 1st via car. Surprise to learn this news!! We will see then

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

CA 1 closure

Damn, I read it too fast. As Dave Swider used to say, "Imagine my surprise..." Thought it said "CIA Closure". Oh well.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    A little dislexium is ko Mike
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

THis from Big Sur Website (people that would be interested in visitors)
    http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html
    02 R1150RT, 82 Suzuki GS1100GK, 86 VT500C Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Hodadd View Post
    ............ Anyway, regardless, Ferguson Road is now open again, so it should be possible to ride around the closure at Big Sur via this route.
    Have found some references to that road (spelled Fergusson, 2 S's), but not finding it on a map anywhere near the bridge that is out.

>>> later note
    Oh.... there on the map I posted,
    Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd
    about 25 miles south of the bridge
    about 50 miles into the "local traffic only".

Last edited by daveredman; 03-26-2017 at 12:48 AM.

The link and map you posted shows a closure north of Ragged Point. "Paul's slide", but I don't know if that's still closed or not. I've heard through the grapevine that it's open, but I don't have any direct information.

We have friends that live on Palo Colorado Rd., they say it's open to residents only. Who's checking that? Don't know. But it's enough of a mess that I'm sure not going to add to it by trying to find out.
    And I suspect that, being the close-knit community that they are on PC Rd, that anyone who isn't recognized as local would be viewed with some suspicion.

Here's a repost of what you're dealing with from Soviet Steeds Ural/Dnepr website > http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...hp?f=2&t=47190
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Will be moving this to the regional section later
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    ....., being the close-knit community that they are on PC Rd, that anyone who isn't recognized as local would be viewed with some suspicion.
    Like a guy with Michigan plates, stopping to look at a map.

Around here, I have found that "Road Closed Ahead" barricade on a nice riding road means : Good, less traffic, and at some point will have to turn around and come back.

And around here, in city especially, "Road Closed. Local Traffic only." means there could be a cop there, or someone might call one, and do get ticket.

THis map, and what info I have found, makes it seem that there is this 30 some mile stretch that need to find some way to divert around all of that.

If headed north, Like someplace nearby maybe San Simion(?), head over somehow to(?) US101(?), and go up to someplace(?) to head back over by Big Sur(?) Carmel(?).

Quote Originally Posted by daveredman View Post
    THis map, and what info I have found, makes it seem that there is this 30 some mile stretch that need to find some way to divert around all of that.

If headed north, Like someplace nearby maybe San Simion(?), head over somehow to(?) US101(?), and go up to someplace(?) to head back over by Big Sur(?) Carmel(?).

Yes, it looks that way to me. Not a lot of east-west roads at this location, or so it seems.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by daveredman View Post

The last place to jump back to the 101 is Hwy 46, just south of Cambria. The best place to jump back over to Hwy 1 is Carmel Valley Road. If you like twisty back country roads, if you prefer a more direct route then you can cut back via Monterey.