• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddle Bags need more space

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
Okay KBasa et al, stop laughing at my over packing. But I realized something during this past trip. While the system cases may look cool, the curves and stuff eat up a lot of room. I could only get four 750ml bottle in one case.:drink

I know that they have larger lids for the cases (out $250 for just the lids) I am curious if there are other solutions out there. I like the hard cases. I have seen lots of cool stuff for the GS crowd that looks like it would work, but I own an RT. Any ideas?:dunno

Well, you could carry four bottles of 150 proof rum. That way it would be like having nearly eight bottles of the regular stuff:bliss

Check out Helen Two Wheels, she sells some bags that you can strap onto the top of your Systemcases. That is what I did for the W.Virginia Rally last year. I think the bags are her medium top opening Bags and you only need one of her straps for each bag or one set of two. These bags are waterproofed, as I found out during the Rainrally last year. Give her a call.
Bernie

Brad, you can get some bungee buddies and some smaller yellow bags that match the one you got. Way cheaper and waterproof to boot. I am going to drill my bags for bungee buddies this weekend.

There is a big bag you can buy that straps over the top of the passenger seat and the saddlebags. Holds lots of stuff and can be bought in a heavy waterproof material. If you have a passenger there is a U shapped bag that goes over the top of the saddlebags and behind the passenger seat. A few different companies and most advertise in the back of the ON or Rider mag. I know Moto-Sport Panniers makes one, too. There is the Venture pack, too.

MarkF

Last edited:
I am hoping to find something that would replace the saddle bags so that I can keep the center of gravity low. I guess the question would be better phrased as:

What other saddlebags fit on a R1150RT?

I think most of the GS bags will fit on any Oilhead except the RT and Cruisers. The RT bag fits into an area left empty for it. The rest of the lineup doesn't have that much bodywork in the rearend. On the up side - I've seen the extra large lids on lots of models and on the only bike they looked good on was the RT. I think the shape is better than the standard lid. I haven't bought them for my Roadster only because I'm still getting by with the standard bags and a waterproof duffle for camping gear. I am thinking of the City lids for everyday commuting. Good Luck!

MarkF

BradfordBenn said:
I am hoping to find something that would replace the saddle bags so that I can keep the center of gravity low. I guess the question would be better phrased as:

What other saddlebags fit on a R1150RT?

Dude, you need Givi side cases. 36 or 45 liters. But, you would have to get custom mounts and no passenger could ride on the back with the bags on, see photo of VFR

69579-M-1.jpg

MrsKbasa said:
Dude, you need Givi side cases. 36 or 45 liters. But, you would have to get custom mounts no passenger could ride on the back and with the bags on, see photo of VFR

Is that a bad thing?

MarkF

I had givi's on my roadster and they were way better than the system cases. The mounts were ugly, but I just left the bags on.

I had no trouble with a pillion, I had a topcase with a pad also.
I could also fit an xl shoei in each bag. Just my cheapie topcase will hold my helmet now.

I bought my xlrg lids from chicago BMW for 88 a lid. They now will fit my fieldsheer highland 1 piece suit with all the pads in it. I had givi on my katana and they caused my handle bars to wobble at low speeds.

I'd go for the larger lids as they fit the best and provide lots more room. The drawback is that the weight limit does not change as the mounts to the bike remain the same.
You have to pack the "heavy" stuff inboard and low, and the fluffy stuff outboard and on top inside the bags.
I found that the best way to do this, is to buy the liners that fit the extra large lids too.
The liners will allow you to pack that way and balance the load. I also think that the heaviest of the two bags ought to be on the right side so that the sidestand gets "help" in balancing the bike.
Just my 0.02 cts.:coffee

The givi bags have a weight limit as well. The on thing i miss about my givi bags was the keyless side entry that allows you to get in them with out opening the whole case.

Just get a trailer.

That way you can haul the whole liquor cabinet with you. You could even make a compartment for iced coolers when the ride is done.:idea

Have you considered a trailer? Just think, a Uni-Go, well stocked with the contents iced down, all ready for when you stop.

i think i want to hear what all youre packing too. ;)

ok, so only four 750ml bottles fit, but most places have liquor. and if i was going someplace that needed all that liquor i'd ship it. yeah yeah there is probably some law. whatever, take it to the pack-N-ship store. tell em its medicine, for your soul.

what else do you have in there? i recently did a multiday trip, and i realized that the only drawback to wearing the same clothes every day is that in the photos, it looks like a one day trip. :D any nasty odor i develop was easily quenched with smoke from the fire and the smell of alcohol oozing from my pores. clothes weren't going to held.

also, if youre a clotheshound, can you consider the clothes fluffy, and just pile them up behind you? that wont have a big effect on the CG of the bike?

maybe if you were more specific, and shared your packing list with all of us, it would help with suggestions. :)

Back