Thread: Anyone try the Loobman chain oiler?

Anyone try the Loobman chain oiler?

It's sold by aerostich/riderwearhouse, is somewhat similar to the Scottoiler, but does away with the need to tap into a vacuum source on the bike, and is much cheaper. Just wondering if it works as advertised. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I have one in my garage... have not put it on the bike yet.

It is a "manual system" so is less complicated and less expensive.
    With the provided reservoir it does look a bit ugly unless you can find a place to conceal it ... some folks won't care.
    When I get around to installing it I think I will try to find a smaller reservoir that won't stand out as much...

As with all the oilers, an overly generous application will result in a back wheel that looks like it came off "spin-art" machine that only offered black paint

I think that once you get the hang of how much to put on it should work fine (so long as you do not forget.... )

Here is the mfg. web site - lots of pictures of installations:

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk

Jim

Thanks for the reply and the link, JimBob. I just ordered one direct from the U.K.

No problem, I've swapped e-mail with the company owner and he seems like a real nice guy. I gotta get mine installed before spring....

I like the idea of the oiler vs. spray/toothbrush approaches although there's some spatter no matter what....

One of the commonly recommeded lubes by the chain mfg. for the o-ring chains it 90wt manual transmission lube. I have some from Redline company that is almost clear - a very light pink color (that doesn't small like crap either ...) so I've started using that ....

Once I get the oiler installed I'm going to try to "load" just a few drops for application every few rides.....

Jim

I liked the idea of 2sided oiling and the use of zip tie tails as applicators. There are instructions on how to keep it from self oiling and some how I missed the boat. Mine would empty the bottle on a day ride. It went from messy to real messy. I used it for a 10,000 mile Alaska trip and then took it off.
    Harold In Rapid City, SD
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel