• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

$$$ questions -cost of rebuilding

P

pete

So basically here is where I'm at. I am going to rebuild my 75 r/90 after years of neglect. It does not need paint but I am planning on replacing many of the plated parts due to pitting. Here is the big list and this is what I am most interested in finding out as the small stuff can be replaced here and there.

Big list =

rebuilt motor
speedo and tach
set of spoked wheels
complete stock exhaust

I'll stop there....

What can I expect to spend in order to get these things accomplished assuming I am installing all of the parts?

Also I have a 2002tii which I am glad to say most everything is available for from the factory. How is availability for various and sundry parts?

TIA

Rebuild Budget

The big ticket items you have listed will probably run you $1500 or more. By the time you start doing other things "because I have it apart anyway" you will run up another few hundred, depending on how nice you want the finished bike. The toughest part about spiffing up a project bike is knowing when to say when and resisting the urge to end up with a show bike.
The IBMWR Marketplace is an excellent source for finding good used parts at reasonable cost.
Have fun with your project:)

I hear ya

Its easy to get carried away- That started to happen with my 2002tii but I have begun to find a balance about it. In this case I will not be repainting for that very reason. Just gettting the bike back into maintainable condition..... and that includes oxidation.

Any recommendations on places to but a rebuilt engine?Looking at the Max BMW parts lists A new setup will run in the neighborhood of $3000. I'd rebuild myself but I am living in Japan can't find a good machine shop so everything would have to be shipped out- which is fine until something goes wrong- for that reason i am intertaining buying a completely rebuilt unit from a reputable source. I want it to be as good as a stock rebuild can be.

Thanks,
Pete

pete said:
How is availability for various and sundry parts?

TIA

I'm in the process of "freshening-up" a '70 /5. Just about everything is available from a dealer. Thanks to BMW's "Mobile Tradition" program, more and more parts are being reissued. In fact, I have yet to be stumped. Couldn't believe Irv Seaver had a license plate bracket IN STOCK!

Google can be your friend. As can Ebay, although I'd surmise being in Japan might be a drawback as a lot of BMW parts aren't avalable for overseas shipment.

Pete, when I went through this process, I determined I needed to make the bike (a) workable (b) rideable and (c) pretty.
You say you want a rebuilt motor. What's wrong with the engine now? Needs new valves, rings, bored and new pistons?
Speedos can be rebuilt - mine was -- for a lot less than buying a new one. Tachs -- I'm not so sure.
A complete stock exhaust will set you back some bucks. Are you adverse to aftermarket, or is this to be a full-on restoration?
Don't you have spoked wheels now?? If not, maybe your can swap-out wheels.
Sources include Bob's BMW, Motobins, the IBMWRA and BMWMOA classifieds, The Parts Haus in California, and Re-Psycle
in Ohio, as well as the aforementioned eBay. And, have you looked at this site: http://www.bmw-motorrad.jp/

Mac

Back