Thread: Cleaning Electrical Contacts

AirandOil In NJ

Cleaning Electrical Contacts

Hey guys and girls, I'm sorry if I'm covering old material but I searched the Airhead forum and the others but came close but not exact to a satisfactory answer.

I'm putting back together a fairly well maintained '84R80 RT after changing steering head bearings but I want to finish it up right.

Using the instrument cluster box as an example, I'd like to clean the many points on the harness end and the box end but I don't want to do it wrong. I'm sure i'm correct in using "contact cleaner" to clear off debris but what about and contact "lube"? does it need it? Is it better if you do? What type should I use?

While I'm on the subject, should I clean and re-prep all the relay contacts and the other exposed contacts while the tank is off? Someone said "leave well enough alone" but I'm not sure I agree with that notion. Do all the contacts get treated the same way?

Thanks in advance,

M

Deoxit

I used Deoxit with good results on my /7 wring. Ted Porter recommended t.

http://www.deoxit.com/

As always, YMMV.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

AirandOil In NJ

contacts

Thanks -jwk-

Do you recommend that I do all the contacts that I can get at with my grubby fingers or leave them?

M

orbitangel

Thumbs up Cool Product

Quote Originally Posted by krehmkej View Post
    I used Deoxit with good results on my /7 wring. Ted Porter recommended t.

http://www.deoxit.com/

As always, YMMV.
    That looks like a very cool product line.

Thanks!

I had my harness completely out so did most, if not all of them. Pay particular attention to the starter relay connections (if yours uses it). Corrosion there apparently killed this machine for the P.O. All that said, "working" the contacts when giving them a spritz of Deoxit does wonders. I would do that rather than just spraying the connections in situ.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Deoxit D5 for indoor connections. I service electronic equipment for a living and buy it by the case. There's nothing better; I've tried them all.

Something like this for outdoor connections. It's dielectric grease and there are several versions. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1599/.f
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Timely post. That's exactly what I'm starting on today.
    No pithy comments available at this time.
    Please check back later.