• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sad story related to riding in the heat

basketcase

What's that noise...?
I have just read a reminder of why the dead of summer is my least favorite time of year to ride.

Lurking over on the Adventure Riders Forum, I ran across this story.

Dirt Biker Dies of Heat Exhaustion

For me, this raises two questions:

1. What do you do to stay hydrated when riding during the summer?

2. How do you judge your own "state of fitness" while in the midst of riding?

Huh. He was just a kid starting out.

RIP

I wear a Hydration Bladder on my back and if I am traveling to a more remote area where water might not be readily available, I also carry extra bottles in my side cases. Before I even set out, in fact every day after I first get up, I drink a quart of water to rehydrate, then continually drink from my hydration bladder during the day even if I am not thirst to maintain my level of hydration. As far as keeping track of one's level of hydration etc. if your urine is clear, you are fine but the yellower it gets, the more water you need and it is probably time to drink plenty of water at that point rather than just a few sips. This is generally good advice no matter where you live/ride, here in the dry desert southwest it is absolutely essential. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who get in trouble here in Arizona, simply because they did not carry sufficient or in some cases no water.

tankbag

I use a two liter camelback bladder and put it in my tankbag. Route the hose out the side through the zip and sip while I ride. I can take the hose and dump water down my neck to wet my shirt for evaporative cooling.
When I passed through Billings on my SS last wekend it was 102. Of course it was a dry heat.:bliss :bliss

When your brain starts to tell you to do stupid stuff it its proabally a good time to stop. I also carry some sunscreen in my tankbag. It helps offset the effects of the sun.

Not what you think...

In an effort to cool off, some expose as much skin as possible to the breeze, but when it's that hotter than 98.6 outside, you're actually cooking yourself.

My "hot" setup involves an Aerostich that is pretty much closed up with, then a wetted-down t-shirt underneath. and a wet bandanna around my neck. This promotes evaporative cooling.

The water stays either in the tankbag or in a pocket in the 'stich. Plenty of water.

I've ridden across Nevada this way several times and lived to tell about it.

Ian

I measure my hydration with my gas tank for Long Slab rides. If I am riding alone, it is usually 4 hours between stops (The RT has longer legs that someone's R90/6:p ) During that time, I drink my entire 80 oz bottle of water using a Platy system. If I have not finished it before I need to get gas, I finish it then and there.

If I have finished it and I need to go, well a gas station is a good place to answer the call of nature.

For shorter rides, Igo with the 32 oz bottle and expect that to be refilled every two hours. I also will add sports drinks to change the flavor. I usually water it down to make it last longer.

I also keep a reserve bottle on the bike.

Just like I was taught in Boy Scouts and again in the Army, Urine should be clear or very close to clear. If it isn't, then it's time to drink more water / gatoraide or whatever.

RW

Something to ponder in the age of mass marketing...
Sports drinks are pretty popular. However, Pedialight,
Gatorade and others should be used with care. They
are not a substitute for water. Too much of a sport drink
causes other problems like stomach cramps.

One might pay attention to the mark sweat leaves. If it's
white and salty, a sports drink is a good idea. Mixed with
equal parts of water.

Always carry water and drink frequently. And, staying
wrapped up while riding is a great idea. Try this. On a
very hot day, ride with the visor open for a while. Then
close it. Bet you feel cool :D

ian

And remember as well that drinking TOO MUCH water can be just as harmful. The liquid needs electrolytes. If you drink to much and your electrolyte become to dilluted, it spells trouble.

Generally, when I'm out desert riding on the F, I take a camelback of plain water, and a quart of Alacer (makers of EmergenC) double strength. I've noticed since I started drinking it I get less dehydration headaches riding around town in 100˚+ weather.

I just got a new mesh jacket with a pocket in back for a three-litre bladder (sold separately but I bought it too) and I love it, although the retractor for the hose broke the morning of the second ride with this setup. I did a round trip from Dallas to Tuscaloosa AL and back on the July 4th weekend and having water on the fly was a big step up. I also found that I could half-fill the bladder and freeze it. Then in the morning I took it out of the freezer and dropped it on the floor to break up the ice enough for the bladder to conform to the curve of my back, and filled it the rest of the way with water. The ice was gone within 90 minutes but the water didn't get warm quite as fast. So far so good with this setup, and every little bit helps here in the sticky sauna of northeast TexSux.
Another army trick to throw in: whenever my boot camp platoon did a long road march (I trained in SC in July/August!), we always had a couple of guys carry an extra canteen containing water that had been mildly salted. It was easier on the easily-nauseated stomachs of the dehydrated than was straight water.

Urine should be straw colored, and if it is clear, you are probably over hydrated, which also has the potential to be a problem. The body's biological mechanisms have been developed over a very long time, and they work, don't try to thwart them. Eat regularly, and drink when you are thirsty, and you won't have a problem, just like when you are at home

When is enough enough?

I'm not sure.

I have a day pack with a 2 liter hydration bladder that I received as a gift from one of my kids. A while back I used it on a day trip, and basically "sipped" every time the urge hit me. After a short time, other urges hit me -- like, about every 75 miles I was dying to find a restroom!

So while I appreciate reading the suggestions regarding chemical and biological nunances of adequate hydration, I do know that one can consume enough water while riding to be forced to stop about every half-tank of fuel. :D

My pre-hydration bladder riding routine was to rotate a between bottle of water at one gas stop, and a small bottle of Gatoraide at the next. I more or less expect to stay with that same routine, but to have the extra water along as needed.

70 oz. of water/tank seems to work for me.

Here in the west, hydration is a constant consideration. When I lived back east, we seemed to be less concerned about it. When you live where the relative humidity is generally 10% or less, your body is really efficient at sweating fluids out.

Tina and I first bought Camelbaks about 8 or 9 years ago.

Wife and I wear the Joe Rocket mesh jackets with long sleeve cotton shirts underneath. Then with the Camelbaks we're always hydrated. Wetting down the shirts during fuel stops also helps. We had several 100 plus degree days on the ride to and from Spokane and all was well.

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS

Back